Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Brown Borders: Production vs. Resources rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
This isn't so much a question, but just something I wanted to point out to people that may be interested in making things easier for themselves ...

If there is a brown box/border around the symbol it means you move the production marker either up or down as indicated by the card.

If there is no brown box/border around the symbol, the player either gains or loses resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks!
Saved me asking the question before my first game.
May have missed it, but I didn't see this specifically addressed in the rule book. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 14, second item from the right bottom is about production, with the brown background in the icon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
orjanalmen wrote:
Page 14, second item from the right bottom is about production, with the brown background in the icon.

Yep, saw that.
The differences between "production" and "resource" icons did not click for me when I read that.
At no point in the rules is it pointed out that there is a difference between brown bordered icons and non-brown bordered icons.

Where this was most confusing to me was in the description of red bordered icons.

On page 9, under "Check the Requirements", "In order to play a card you must meet it's REQUIREMENTS and be able to perform the EFFECTS stated on the card with the following exceptions; you may play a card that.....

-removes resources for any player (red bordered resource icons, see example on card C below) if you can't or do not wish to.

On page 15 under "Red Bordered Icons";

When an icon has a red border, it means that it targets any player ; (you or an opponent).
A card that removes red-bordered resources may remove those resources from any one player (this effect may also be performed partly, or not at all.)
A card effect that reduces production of a red bordered resource must be performed, so if your opponent doesn't have that production you must lower your own production or not play the card at all.

I would have found the rules less confusing if the difference between "production" icons and "resource" icons had been pointed out earlier, and if the words "RESOURCES" and "PRODUCTION" had been emphasized in the discussions about how red boarded icons work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:
orjanalmen wrote:

Yep, saw that.
The differences between "production" and "resource" icons did not click for me when I read that.
At no point in the rules is it pointed out that there is a difference between brown bordered icons and non-brown bordered icons.

Except right there on page 14. Previously, the icon for plants is shown. Then there is that specific section pointing out the if something is in a brown box (like, for example, the pictured plant icon), it refers to production of that resource rather than the resource itself. That whole production paragraph talks about how production is different from resources, giving you an income of resources every turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.