Subject: Generic Question about Espansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Guthrie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there, new player here. Went through the tutorial game with some friends over the weekend (and once solo before that to get familiar). Learned the basics and read up on what awaits us in the campaign. Really impressed so far and can't wait to get a campaign going!

Question. Should I hold off on buying expansions until we play through the core set campaign? I don't want to muddy the waters with expansions if they aren't really meant to be integrated into the core set. Though it seem seems like big box expansions have missions and tiles, whereas small expansions just come with new characters? Maybe the characters can be used in the campaign. I'm not really sure how it all works.

For some background, I play X-wing Miniatures and with that you can buy whatever expansions you like. The ships (expansions) basically all work in any combination you want. The same can also be said of Netrunner, another game I play a lot of. You can mix and match pretty much any cards from whatever set. That may not be the case with Imperial Assault? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Edit: Title should read "Expansions"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Grozdanich

Santa Clara
CA California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can buy whatever you want.

The box expansions add new abilities, new enemies, new hero characters, new shop items etc. all which can largely be integrated seamlessly into the core campaign. Some enemies are restricted to certain tile types, which if you play the core campaign means a lot of the included enemies in the hoth box won't be available.

The character packs are largely miniatures that the base game or expansions are missing. I.E. The base set has tokens for Han Solo, A 2nd AT-ST, Chewbacca and a few others. You can buy the miniature if you wish instead of having the token.

Some character expansions like the wookie warriors are completely extra and can be used easily in the campaign.

TLDR: Basically buy whatever you feel comfortable with.
It might be good to run through the core campaign with none of the expansion stuff as I could see some characters causing an imbalance, but not by much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Guthrie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, interesting. I didn't realize that some of the small expansions were just models used to replace punchboard tokens in the base set. That's good to know! I've been eyeing Greedo, which seems to be a new character with cards, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott K.
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The big box expansions will add some heroes and villains, but will not add extra missions until you are finished the original campaign.

None of the extras are needed to get the full experience with the original game! Play through without regretting the missing extras.

After you have played the campaign and are ready for more, expand as much or little as you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Guthrie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, probably a good idea. Thnx!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Grozdanich

Santa Clara
CA California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlessAndDestroy wrote:
Oh, interesting. I didn't realize that some of the small expansions were just models used to replace punchboard tokens in the base set. That's good to know! I've been eyeing Greedo, which seems to be a new character with cards, etc.

Well they do come with some cards...Usually nothing you don't already have unless you like Skirmish mode.

The character packs are largely filled with cards for skirmish mode.

Still, they look cool.

Greedo is great for skirmish, and has some extra cards for campaign.

Though technically he is dead before any campaign that takes place in the game. Still you can't put the campaign in any timeline you wish really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Clearihue
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Should I hold off on buying expansions until we play through the core set campaign? I don't want to muddy the waters with expansions if they aren't really meant to be integrated into the core set.

The only muddying of the waters to potentially worry about would be buying expansions and integrating them in the middle of a campaign. For non-unique deployment groups for the Imperial player or shop cards for the Rebels, it's not really a big deal.

Strictly following the rules for campaign setup and uniques for the Imperial player/Rebel allies, you pick the cards at the start of the campaign, so you'd be waiting until the whole thing is over before you could integrate new agendas and side missions.

Quote:
Though it seem seems like big box expansions have missions and tiles, whereas small expansions just come with new characters? Maybe the characters can be used in the campaign. I'm not really sure how it all works.[q/]

Both sizes of boxed expansions provide new tiles and new campaigns along with the figures. The small boxes provide a small helping of new figures and a ~4 mission campaign. The large box has more on offer and about a ~10 mission campaign, similar in scope to the Core campaign.

This might sound a little nutty, but I would make the first purchase for your "expansions" the Twin Shadows box and play that campaign instead of the Core campaign to get the interest going. It will take way less time to resolve and you won't feel like you have to slog through 10 missions to get to the end. This is important if it's everyone's first time out as the missions could take hours to resolve as everyone is finding their stride, looking up rules, etc.

The full Core campaign might seem daunting by comparison.

[q]For some background, I play X-wing Miniatures and with that you can buy whatever expansions you like. The ships (expansions) basically all work in any combination you want. The same can also be said of Netrunner, another game I play a lot of. You can mix and match pretty much any cards from whatever set. That may not be the case with Imperial Assault? Thanks in advance for your advice!

If you're playing in a strictly Skirmish paradigm, then sure, you can toss in whatever packs you feel you want to. If it's the campaign experience you want, integrating new components between campaigns is fine but may be a problem midway through, as I mentioned above.

The games you reference are designed around a 1v1 competitive game that is resolved in one session with no persistent conditions, which doesn't translate well to the campaign but is more in line with the skirmish game.

Good news; FFG is designing an app for IA to be released early next year at some point, which will managed the Imperial player's activity allowing IA to be played as a fully co-op experience, which also means it's a solo experience for you to mess around with on your own if getting a group together is not reliable for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
cleardave wrote:
Good news; FFG is designing an app for IA to be released given more information about early next year at some point, which will managed the Imperial player's activity allowing IA to be played as a fully co-op experience be fun, which also means it's a solo experience for you to mess around with on your own if getting a group together is not reliable for you.

I don't want to sound pessimistic, but holding your breath will turn you blue.

So far we have heard that FFG is working on an app, more information should be expected sometime next year, and it will be fun. Do you have sources for the additional details you claim about the app?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlessAndDestroy wrote:
Should I hold off on buying expansions until we play through the core set campaign?

Generally for your first campaign you don't know what you need, want, and should do. So, adding options you don't know how to pick from does not give you any added benefits. The core box also has 30+ missions, and you will play 11-14 in a campaign, so you also don't need expansions for added variety.

You can get the wave 1 expansions to replace tokens in the core box with figures though. You can see the waves from IA Community Wiki.

BlessAndDestroy wrote:
Edit: Title should read "Expansions"

You can edit the thread title by editing the title of the first post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Most people have already got you covered, but for the record, here's some more info to help:

Ally/Villain Packs for the Core Set

These add plastic models, as well as new missions, items, rewards, etc.

Han Solo
Chewbacca
Rebel Troopers
Rebel Saboteurs
IG-88
Royal Guard Champion
General Weiss

Ally/Villain Packs for Twin Shadows
These are incompatible until you get the Twin Shadows expansion:

R2-D2 and C-3PO
Boba Fett
Kayn Somos

Ally/Villain Packs for Return to Hoth
These are incompatible until you get the Return to Hoth expansion:
Leia Organa
Echo Base Troopers
Dengar
General Sorin

Ally/Villain Packs for The Bespin Gambit
These are incompatible until you get The Bespin Gambit expansion:

Lando Calrissian
Bossk
Agent Blaise
ISB Infiltrators

Waves 3/4/7 Packs
These are figure packs that came out inbetween big and small box waves. For the most part (notice the one exception) they are compatible with the core set.

Obi Wan Kenobi
Wookie Warriors
Alliance Smuggler
Grand Inquisitor
Greedo
Hired Guns
Stormtroopers
Bantha Rider (only compatible if Twin Shadows is owned)

Honestly, I love having as many parts as possible- even with everything listed, I don't see Imperial Assault really suffering from bloat yet, as almost everything still adheres to the game's universal rules. Still, this obviously gets expensive. Most people suggest starting off with a big box expansion (Return to Hoth) if you want, as it comes with more components, but if you're looking to play the Core campaign, there's a ton of material in Hoth that won't see the light of day.

If I were you, I'd get either:
1) All of the figure packs for the core set
or
2) Either small box set, plus all of its figure packs
or
3) Any of the Waves 3,4, or 7 packs that appeal to you.

Return to Hoth is cool, and does come with a ton more figures, but most of the missions in it are centered around the second main campaign, which cannot be integrated into the main campaign. The small boxes do have their own mini-campaigns as well, but their missions can also be played simply as side missions, thus making them much more accessible in any campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Subtrendy Gaming wrote:

ISB Infiltrators

You can't use everything in the box, but you can use something.

While the rebels can't include the side mission due to tiles needed from the Bespin Gambit box, the imperial player can use the ISB Infiltrators in open groups and include the agenda set into the agenda deck.

The same applies to Bantha Rider - the imperial player can't play the agenda side mission if the agenda set is included into the agenda deck, but could still take the Bantha Rider in open groups.

(Also, if we were talking about skirmish, a lot of the figure expansions that are associated with the boxed expansion use just core set tiles for either the skirmish map or the campaign map. More often the campaign missions use the new tiles though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Subtrendy Gaming wrote:

ISB Infiltrators

You can't use everything in the box, but you can use something.

While the rebels can't include the side mission due to tiles needed from the Bespin Gambit box, the imperial player can use the ISB Infiltrators in open groups and include the agenda set into the agenda deck.

The same applies to Bantha Rider - the imperial player can't play the agenda side mission if the agenda set is included into the agenda deck, but could still take the Bantha Rider in open groups.

(Also, if we were talking about skirmish, a lot of the figure expansions that are associated with the boxed expansion use just core set tiles for either the skirmish map or the campaign map. More often the campaign missions use the new tiles though.)

That's true, I was more going for full functionality, but you're correct.

Still, I'd be really surprised if ISB Infiltrators was the first pack OP picks up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just the map tiles you would need or are there other incompatibilities?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Subtrendy Gaming wrote:
Still, I'd be really surprised if ISB Infiltrators was the first pack OP picks up.

True, Hired Guns are a much better choice for the (base) campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
Is it just the map tiles you would need or are there other incompatibilities?

Not incompatible as such, just not being able to make use of.

Rebels need to win ally missions to gain the respective ally and the imperial player needs to win agenda side missions to win the respective unique villain, so not having the tiles to play the missions exclude most of the content. (Unless you proxy the tiles.)

A few packs do have items that you can include (Obi-Wan, Greedo, The Grand Inquisitor), but you don't want to buy them just for a few item cards.

(For Skirmish you can use the figures and command cards, but not the skirmish missions.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Map tiles for sure, but there are other issues as well. For instance, ally acquisition missions are generally in the boxed campaign, with the ally packs granting other rewards. So, for instance, if you had Leia but no Return to Hoth, not only would you have the tiles for her acquisition mission, but you wouldn't even have the mission itself, along with many of the units needed to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Nietzel
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A lot of great info and discussion here. Nice work everybody. Even as a guy going on this fourth campaign, I found some useful info in here. Thanks for taking the time to outline this stuff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Guthrie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Tons of useful info here. Seems like I should hold off on buying anything until I finish my first campaign. Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Davenport
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Subtrendy Gaming wrote:

Ally/Villain Packs for Twin Shadows
These are incompatible until you get the Twin Shadows expansion:

R2-D2 and C-3PO

pretty sure R2D2/C3PO ally pack doens't require any tiles from twin shadows so you should be safe to get that pack along with wave 1 packs to acompany your core game. I'll double check when I get home.. i recentlly got into IA too and i'm starting my first campaign on monday, i picked up all the wave one + R2D2/3PO. Hopefully i wasn't mistaken on that becuase that'd be awkward

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Davenport
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
BlessAndDestroy wrote:
Agreed. Tons of useful info here. Seems like I should hold off on buying anything until I finish my first campaign. Thanks everyone!

similar to you i just got into the game a few weeks ago and picked up the core game for my own campaign. I splurged and picked up all of the ally & villain packs that replace tokens from the core game with actual miniatures, up to you if you think that would be required.

I picked the core game up along with:

Han solo
Chewbacca
rebel troopers
rebel sabatours
IG-88
General Weiss
Royal Guard Champion

and finally 3PO + R2D2... based on a post above i need to double check but i was under the impression that this pack did not require any tiles outside the core game for the campaign... ill check when i get home

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need tiles 04 and 06 for the side mission in the r2 pack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
R2-D2 / C-3PO skirmish map uses only core set tiles, but the campaign mission uses Twin Shadow tiles, TS04B and TS06B like Christian said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
cleardave wrote:
Good news; FFG is designing an app for IA to be released given more information about early next year at some point, which will managed the Imperial player's activity allowing IA to be played as a fully co-op experience be fun, which also means it's a solo experience for you to mess around with on your own if getting a group together is not reliable for you.

I don't want to sound pessimistic, but holding your breath will turn you blue.

So far we have heard that FFG is working on an app, more information should be expected sometime next year, and it will be fun. Do you have sources for the additional details you claim about the app?

I think the fact that at the FFG inflight report the FFG CEO said in direct response to the wishes for an RtL app for IA (RtL=Road to Legend is an app for Descent that does excactly what was claimed by the post) that such an app is in development for IA.

Given how FFG implemented a companion app into Descent 2.0 and MoM 2.0 and that statement at the inflight report, I think it's extremely likely that the IA app will take care of the antagonist for IA assault as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Davenport
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Locu wrote:
You need tiles 04 and 06 for the side mission in the r2 pack

dang, ok

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
R2-D2 / C-3PO skirmish map uses only core set tiles, but the campaign mission uses Twin Shadow tiles, TS04B and TS06B like Christian said.

Yeah, I mean, I guess you could house rule anything anyway (like both Rebels and Imp get their choice of one Ally or villain apiece at the beginning of the campaign), but speaking full functionality, you'll want the Twins Shadows box for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.