Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Kickstarter is less than a day old, but we already have a lot of information we can piece together. I'm planning to run the first PBF ONUA game soon, but perhaps we should discuss which mechanics we can guess about and so on.

Here's some notes on what I can determine so far:

Roles:
• Alien (*2): Wins if Aliens survive. Wakes to see other Aliens. They get some sort of power to implement.
• Synthetic Alien: Wins if he dies. Wakes to see other Aliens.
• Groob/Zerb: If both are present, they each only win if the other dies. Wakes to see Aliens. Wakes again to see each other.
• Body Snatcher: Somehow steals the role of a certain other player, perhaps?

• Blob: Absorbs two nearby players at the start. Wins if Blob and absorbed players.
• Mortician: Wins if he survives and at least one of his neighbours dies.
• Nostradamus: Predicts which team will win somehow. Wins if his prediction is correct.

• Cow: Wins with Villagers. They hold out their fist and get tapped if an alien is beside them, thus not knowing which side (Hint: don't where gloves).
• Psychic: Wins with Villagers. Gets to see some cards, determined by the app.
• Rascal: Wins with Villagers. Will switch cards around somehow. Could be Troublemaker, could be Witch, could be Village Idiot even, perhaps!
• Exposer: Wins with Villagers. Flips up to some number of cards in the Center.
• Oracle: The app asks a question, the Oracle answers, and the app tells everyone the answer. Interesting...

Role Order:

Timings of some of the roles can be determined from the video, given the numbering on the role tokens, or can be inferred. I'll mark in italics where timing is inferred:

• Alien/Synthetic Alien: 1-A. This is the first action of the Night after the Sentinel (0), so after you view the Marks if Dusk roles are in play. Also immediately after Doppelgänger (1) if Dusk isn't used. In other words, the Alien roles trigger before the Wolf (2) ones.
• Zerb/Groob: 1-B. We know from Kickstarter comments that they wake again. This is the best time to do so , especially given we know 1-C exists.
• Cow: 1-C. Makes sense, given timing with other Alien actions.
• Body Snatcher: 1-D. He probably activates after discovering the other Aliens.

• Psychic: 5-G. Same general timing as the Seer (5) et al., but the last one. Before the Robber (6).
• Rascal: 7-F. In the Troublemaker (7) line, after the Aura Seer (7-C) and Gremlin (7-D), before the Drunk (8).
• Exposer: 10-B. After Revealer (10), before Curator (11)

• Blob: 13. Even after the Curator (11), the prior final role. It seems they do NOT wake again in a time loop.
• Mortician: 13-A. Very last role we know about for now.

• Oracle: -9 or less. The landscape app demo shows her going before the Copycat
• Nostradamus: ???. He could be 14 (or a really big number so he continues to go last in future games) so he hears what the app choices were and has some info.... but we know nothing beyond the fact he goes after the Vampires.

Role Variation Patterns:
This section will cover what different things certain roles can do.

Aliens
• Each Alien views a certain card of their choice
• All Aliens view the same card
• Aliens turn someone into an Alien
• Just stare
• Show your card to other Aliens
• Turn someone into an Alien Minion
• Exchange Alien cards

Rascal
• Exchange two certain cards
• Exchange any two other cards
• Exchange your card with another player (steal)
• Exchange multiple cards... perhaps all evens or odds???

Oracle
• "Do you want to be an Alien?"
• ???

Target Variation Patterns:
• Players lower/higher than you
• Neighbours
• Even/odd players
• App-chosen number

I plan to expand this section to consider which roles use which targeting variants later...

Ripples:
• Time loop. Play the Dusk and Night again (Dusk confirmed in Kickstarter comments). One player may be told to have their eyes open the whole time.
• Certain players will be chosen and they cannot speak. In PBF, we might make this a limited communication. All you can do is point, at either a player, card or a token; give a thumbs up/down (or perhaps nod/shake head); nd perhaps a few other gestures...

For now, I don't think we know enough about ripples to include them in PBF, but we'll see...

Unclear things:
• What happens when the Blob gets moved? Note that given the timing this can only happen in a time loop ripple! Does the new Blob absorb other players, or does he have to keep the players that were originally absorbed alive? I'm thinking the originally absorbed players are the ones for now.

Edit: Turns out my guess was wrong. The absorbed players move with the Blob.

• If the Aliens turn someone into an Alien, do they still do their normal role? Are they an Alien even if their role changes?

• What do you do when the app tells you to switch two places lower than you and you are at a number too low to do so? I guess you must choose to not activate.

If you think you could add any information, or suggestions on how we should run things, please post so we can discuss it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So a post in the Kickstarter comments just answered my query about The Blob moving. The players absorbed into the Blob change if the Blob moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do numbers have to stay in sequential order when seated?
Like if we have 6 players, do they have to go 1,2,3,4,5,6? Or can we toss them out randomly to people?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
Like if we have 6 players, do they have to go 1,2,3,4,5,6? Or can we toss them out randomly to people?

I'd think they could be thrown out randomly but assuming the app does its own randomization it would be easier if they were in order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
In for the first PBF of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal 2000
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielguy wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:

I'd think they could be thrown out randomly but assuming the app does its own randomization it would be easier if they were in order.

I'm not sure, even and odds require seating order to be established.

Oh, and if you're running a pbf, can i play

Hal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hal 2000 wrote:
Spielguy wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:

Hal

Does it though? What does it matter if the seating is 1,2,3,4,5,6 vs 4,2,5,3,1,6?

If the game says "pick an odd player", you get to pick the players with 1,3 and 5 in front of them.

Or does the game require people are positioned in a specific order?

I like the idea of shuffled up numbers so if people are all sitting at the same places over several matches, they aren't branded with the same number all games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
The only stupid question... is the one you don't ask!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is filling up fast and the details haven't been ironed out yet.

*Raises hand* I'm in, before there's no room left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal 2000
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
Hal 2000 wrote:
Spielguy wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:

Hal

Does it though? What does it matter if the seating is 1,2,3,4,5,6 vs 4,2,5,3,1,6?

If the game says "pick an odd player", you get to pick the players with 1,3 and 5 in front of them.

Or does the game require people are positioned in a specific order?

I like the idea of shuffled up numbers so if people are all sitting at the same places over several matches, they aren't branded with the same number all games.

I know no more than you but i would have thought that when it says "even player", the game is expecting every other player to be affected. I really don't know but it is a possibility

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A valid point. Is it about the actual spacing or just the number?

Guess we will have to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I missed a bunch of posts in this thread, sorry.

I just updated the OP to have info on the Oracle's timing and to add the Body Snatcher.

As for numbering, I think I'm going to enforce it is distributed clockwise, like in the videos. We can experiment with changing the number ordering later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in case anyone is subscribed to this thread, but not the forum, the sign-up thread for the first ONUA game is below:

PBF #53: ONUA #1: TTIOT (Game Over)

Those that have expressed interest in this thread, but not the other one will be given a little bit of time to sign up if it fills before you see this, but please be quick if you can...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.