Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the recent release of the second edition of Sharp Practice, I've been eyeing an entry into historical minis. Never mind that I have a pile of Guild Ball and (soon) Dropfleet Commander minis that need attention, not to mention my recent purchase of some Arena Rex models. Anyway, I'd like to do some reading and possibly gaming on the Indian Mutiny, a conflict I've always wanted to learn more about. Can anyone recommend a good place to start? I also wouldn't mind historical fiction set during that time period. Thanks in advance for the suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
A nice book on the history is Christopher Hibbert's The Great Mutiny. It is perfect for someone wanting the general history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flashman in the Great Game, by George MacDonald Fraser. Fiction, but the author does his homework, includes footnotes with his sources. One of a series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While it isn't solely about the Sepoy Mutiny, Byron Farwell's book Queen Victoria's Little Wars is an excellent read. During her reign, the Empire was continuously fighting one or more wars somewhere on the globe, and this book covers then all.

There is naturally a long chapter on the Sepoy Mutiny, and while it is not as indepth as a full book devoted to the subject, it allows the reader to put it in context with the conflicts before and since, and comprehend how these wars influenced the evolution of the British Army, in particular the professionalization of the officer corps. Also, the reader can follow the careers of some of Britain's most famous generals, whose reputations were built in those wars.

The book ends with the Boer War, which didn't conclude until after Victoria's death, and by which time the seeds for 20th Century warfare were sown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great recommendations, thanks everyone! It's times like this I'm glad I have Amazon Prime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
England
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmw23 wrote:
Great recommendations, thanks everyone! It's times like this I'm glad I have Amazon Prime.

You've got some excellent recommendatioms there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Goodknecht
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Capt_S wrote:
A nice book on the history is Christopher Hibbert's The Great Mutiny. It is perfect for someone wanting the general history.

I second this recommendation.

Also try: Our Bones are Scattered: The Cawnpore Massacres and the Indian Mutiny of 1857 by Andrew Ward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mutiny just sounds like a wrong term.

By definition mutiny is a criminal conspiracy among a group of people to openly oppose, change, or overthrow a lawful authority to which they are subject.

Imo rebellion, yes. Mutiny, no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you're open to historical fiction, the first thing that came to mind was "The Siege of Krishnapur" by J.G. Farrell, which won the 1973 Booker prize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to suggest these two books. Mason was an excellent writer with a deep understanding and respect of India and it's people, having been in the Civil service there pre-partition in 1947. Explains not just the mutiny but a lot of what went before and after..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Avtomatik wrote:
Mutiny just sounds like a wrong term.

By definition mutiny is a criminal conspiracy among a group of people to openly oppose, change, or overthrow a lawful authority to which they are subject.

Imo rebellion, yes. Mutiny, no.

It's called a mutiny because the conflict started as a mutiny of the sepoy troops within the East India Company's army.

Once it spread further and began to involve the civilian population, then it was called a revolt, a rebellion, a first war of independence, and many other names.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Cierpicki
Malta
Gharb
Gozo
flag msg tools
Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges . . .
badge
Hey, stop tickling me with your cursor!
mbmbmbmbmb
You may also find "The Siege of Delhi" written by Richard Barter who was Adjutant of the 75th Gordon Highlanders at the siege.
https://www.amazon.com/Siege-Delhi-Mutiny-Memories-Officer/d...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course.

Like I said, it started as a mutiny and quickly grew to something larger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Queen Victoria's Little Wars by Byron Farwell. Best single volume history of the whole period in my humble opinion, written with a real understanding of the British army of the 19th century.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.