The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: New player must buy list. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: LOTR [+] [View All]
Dax is
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to pick up the game but I heard that the base set doesn't cut it. What would you suggest a new player pick up to have a decent experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik R
United States
St. Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-playe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See other reply for an excellent shopping list planner.

But I would question the wisdom of whoever told you the base game doesn't cut it.

You get three scenarios and four decks to play with in the base game. Plus of course the counters. You don't get them any other way. You will need two core sets for more than two players. For the counters.

As solo or pairs play you can get many repeats out of just the core set. Each preset player deck gives you a different experience as they each nphave different strengths and weaknesses. Then you mix up the different "suits" to start deck building. That gives you a different experience again. When it starts to get stale, that's the time to look at extra scenarios. I know I bought the core plus first hobbit several months ago. The hobbit is still in shrink wrap.

Have a look at
https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/16397/guide-new-lotrlcg-s... for one idea for starting up. Following through it will give you months of worthwhile play before you need to buy anything but the core set.

Yes you get more powerful cards and combinations in the various expansions. Of course. FFG wants to make money. And fair enough. But if you just want to win all the time, get a set of loaded dice instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenten Petersen
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the full card pool and love the game.
I remember the days when I only owned a few expansions and was too prideful to play on easy mode.
My recommendation to new players is to start with one core set and then start adding the saga expansions in order. The saga expansions include decks created by the games designer which are printed in the rule books that come with them.
These decks are very competitive for the sets they come with and were created with limited card pools in mind so they are perfect for a beginner.
Playing the pre-created decks from the saga expansions will give you a great insight into how to start building them yourself once your card-pool grows.
Playing on easy mode in this same situation is also less frustrating as you get a handle on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's true that the core set will give you a very limited, although some very useful base player cards, to start with. But before you go on a shopping spree, go ahead and play with the core set first. Even though having only 3 scenarios don't sound like much with the 3rd scenario so hard it's nearly unbeatable with only the core player cards, it serves as a useful introduction to the game to see if you really like the game. Learn game and how the player cards differ and get a taste of deck construction. Some players are turned off by that last part.

Then if you're ready for more when you have a better idea of what to expect of the game and what you want to get into, check out this buyer's guide:
https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-playe...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.