Subject: Brew Crafters Solo AI rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Kelley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
When I first received Brew Crafters, I popped it open with some friends and played a game. I was left with a strangely empty feeling. There were so many things I wasn't able to do! I hadn't built all of the buildings, I hadn't researched all of the things. I initially blamed the game because it only lasted 3 years, but after reflecting on it, I realized that's how it was designed! Pick a strategy and try it for a game. Then the next game, try something else.

I decided I wanted to play this solo so I could try all of the strategy ideas I had. I saw this thread on BGG about using dice to simulate an opponent. Some replies talked about Viticulture's Automa deck and automating that variant using a program. I played a couple games of Viticulture Automa and got to work on a Brew Crafters Solo AI.

Here it is: Brew Crafters Solo AI

Sure, "AI" is a big term, but it does aim to be a bit more competitive than simple dice.

It behaves similarly to the Viticulture Automa: it selects spaces to block. Just configure it with the Skilled Workers you dealt out, and hit Start! When the AI takes a space with resources on it, return those resources to the bank.

Please test this out and let me know what you think! I've been having a great time with it. It's a wonderful way to test out different Brew Crafters strategies.

Changelog

Version 1.1 - August 30th, 2016
Added blocking/taken behavior. The AI now will not choose any blocked or taken spots in the same season. In addition, non-refillable spots will be heavily preferred the following season. For example, if they tried to hire a Skilled Worker in Y1 Fall and you blocked them, they will probably try to take the spot in Y1 Winter.

Thanks to BGG user BreakingPoint0 for the suggestion!

Version 1.0 - August 29th, 2016
Initial release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Meyer
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very cool! It looks like it would work pretty well. I ran through it really quick just to see how it works. Seems like it was weighted against hops since about 1/3rd of the actions ended up blocking the hops =P

I'm fairly certain it also chose Hop Market twice in one season, which shouldn't be possible. I don't recall and I don't have it open in front of me anymore. But, I just did another run through and it appears it doesn't keep state of the spaces it took. It's just equally random with everything, giving you the "blocked" button to use if the space is blocked.

Well, this is really nifty. Whenever I acquire the game I will definitely be using this! I've played before and it's too good of a game to keep hidden away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cosined
United States
Walpole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BreakingPoint0 wrote:
I'm fairly certain it also chose Hop Market twice in one season, which shouldn't be possible.

It appears that you could use the (blocked) hyperlink when this case arises.

Edit: Forgot to thank OP:

Good job! I haven't played BC since 2015 and this automata piques my interest in breaking it out again. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Meyer
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cosined wrote:
BreakingPoint0 wrote:
I'm fairly certain it also chose Hop Market twice in one season, which shouldn't be possible.

It appears that you could use the (blocked) hyperlink when this case arises.

Indeed, you can do that. Was just making the observation that it could record what itself chose and remove it from it's randomization =P Not a huge deal, just a little enhancement =)

I too forgot to thank Brian. Thank you Brian, this is great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kelley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for the feedback guys! This is definitely an issue. Originally I didn't have the concept of seasons programmed in, so I kept it simple when adding that. I definitely agree with your suggestion though. I'll add it tonight or Wednesday night.

Also, I'll add a changelog

Edit: until then - you can use the "(blocked)" thing to bypass it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HalfBrian wrote:
When I first received Brew Crafters, I popped it open with some friends and played a game. I was left with a strangely empty feeling. There were so many things I wasn't able to do! I hadn't built all of the buildings, I hadn't researched all of the things. I initially blamed the game because it only lasted 3 years, but after reflecting on it, I realized that's how it was designed! Pick a strategy and try it for a game. Then the next game, try something else.

I decided I wanted to play this solo so I could try all of the strategy ideas I had. I saw this thread on BGG about using dice to simulate an opponent. Some replies talked about Viticulture's Automa deck and automating that variant using a program. I played a couple games of Viticulture Automa and got to work on a Brew Crafters Solo AI.

Here it is: Brew Crafters Solo AI

Sure, "AI" is a big term, but it does aim to be a bit more competitive than simple dice.

It behaves similarly to the Viticulture Automa: it selects spaces to block. Just configure it with the Skilled Workers you dealt out, and hit Start! When the AI takes a space with resources on it, return those resources to the bank.

Please test this out and let me know what you think! I've been having a great time with it. It's a wonderful way to test out different Brew Crafters strategies.

Thank you for mentioning my Viticulture Automa .

If you to the same principles as I do for my Automas (they're described here: The Automa Approach I: A method for making solitaire modes for multiplayer games). Then you could consider adding your AI to this geek list: Games with Automa opponents for solo play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kelley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for the suggestion BreakingPoint0. I've implemented it and uploaded it. The version is now 1.1. You can click the version link in the bottom right for the change log.

Version 1.1 - August 30th, 2016
Added blocking/taken behavior. The AI now will not choose any blocked or taken spots in the same season. In addition, non-refillable spots will be heavily preferred the following season. For example, if they tried to hire a Skilled Worker in Y1 Fall and you blocked them, they will probably try to take the spot in Y1 Winter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kelley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for replying, Morten! I didn't realize that document existed. I'll definitely give it a read when I get a chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HalfBrian wrote:
Thanks for replying, Morten! I didn't realize that document existed. I'll definitely give it a read when I get a chance.

I hope you'll find it useful .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome idea, looking forward to trying it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ferrise
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
(Instagram) @thebrewinggamer (BGG Blog) TheBrewingGamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is FANTASTIC. You've been Quickbar'ed!

Thank you for your efforts. I've always wanted a way to play this solo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.