Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set» Forums » General

Subject: MTG References rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Smith

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received my Core Set (amazing that Sirlin got it out 3 months early!), and as I was sleeving and organizing the cards, I enjoyed spotting the nods to various specific Magic cards.

Spore Shambler: Spike Feeder.

Merfolk Prospector: Llanowar Elves or more recently Elvish Mystic.

Master Midori's middle ability: Muraganda Petroglyphs.

Circle of Life: Natural Order or Birthing Pod.

Feral Strike: Tooth and Nail.

Stampede: The classic limited bomb Overrun.

Gemscout Owl: Birds of Paradise.

Might of Leaf and Claw: Beastmaster Ascension.

Wandering Mimic: A few cards.

Gigadon: Khalni Hydra.

Tyrannosaurus Rex: Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger, although this one feels more like an incidental similarity.

Moss Ancient: Reminds me of both Verdant Force (aka "the best fatty ever printed") and Deranged Hermit.

Guargam, Eternal Sentinel: Any of the original Eldrazi Titans such as Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, whose Annihilator mechanic feels similar to Obliterate.

Rickety Mine: Mana Crypt, albeit another likeness that feels incidental; the theme on Rickety Mine is stronger (and more fun!)

Marauder: Avalanche Riders.

Bamstamper Lizzo: the classic two-for-one Flametongue Kavu.

Pirate-Gang Commander: Siege-Gang Commander (this one is very subtle).

There are, of course, many other similarities that are less specific and more genre staples like Haste, Overpower (Trample), and effects like Moment's Peace (Fog, although it shares a name with the mechanically unrelated Moment's Peace*) and Nature Reclaims (Naturalize), but I enjoyed the ones that felt like direct nods, sort of like a reward for playing Magic for so many years. (Or maybe a punishment!)

Any others you spotted? I don't have the deluxe factions, but I might go through them online just to see what else I can find.

*EDIT: Moment's Peace actually does do the same thing as Fog; for some reason I was thinking of Gaea's Blessing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Pavia
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Were you a kickstarter backer? Or, were you able to pick it up at Gencon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a kickstarter backer. Arrived in the mail today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Pavia
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news!

Hopefully mine is on it's way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not MTG, but the Banefire Golem looks exactly like an Infernal from Warcraft, with an identical effect as in Hearthstone

Still, awesome, awesome game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of the keyword abilities are familiar to Magic players... As I wrote on the guide for Magic players thread,

Quote:
Deathtouch, frenzy, haste, indestructible and legendary all work basically the same as in MtG.
Boost is kicker (often used as entwine). Forecast is suspend. Readiness is vigilance. Unstoppable is unblockable. Those all work basically identically.
Obliterate is annihilator, just modified for Codex's asynchronous principle, to avoid giving defending player any choices during your turn.

There are some specific Magic card references mentioned in the References in Codex thread. There's the ones you mention above, and also:

Green:

Murkwood Allies -> One Dozen Eyes
Blooming Ancient -> Forgotten Ancient

Black:

Skeletal Javelineer -> Icatian Javelineers

Blue:

Justice Juggernaut -> Juggernaut

Purple:

Tricycloid -> Triskelion
(Purple and Black are mainly full of references to Starcraft and Warcraft III respectively, so there's not so much room for references to Magic cards!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget (Over)Eager Cadet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I could be mistaken, but it seems like Red/Green are particularly oriented towards having Magic references (which kinda makes sense, given that they're the introductory set).

White seems like it has a number of Fighting Game references (including a cameo by Daigo), Black went in for at least a few Warcraft 3 references, and Purple is definitely heavy on the Starcraft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.