GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,822 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Pandemic» Forums » General

Subject: Best Roles for 2-Player Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Kmak
United States
Parrish
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you were going to play a 2-player game of Pandemic which 2 roles would you use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pettersson
Sweden
Arvika
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're trying to win Pandemic with all possible two-player combinations (21 variants) in the base game and at this point I'd probably pick two of the following three:

* Scientist
* Researcher
* Dispatcher

The scientists ability to cure with just four cards is obviously a good thing but the Researcher-Dispatcher combo also seemed to work out well due to their superior ability to meet and exchange cards.

I'd also avoid Operations Expert and Contingency Planner. Out of thirty games in the series, we've lost 18 and one of those two roles has been involved in every loss. Part of this is the order of playing through roles. We'll se when we finish.

Personally I was surprised by the bad showing of the OE, since I felt the ability to travel and set up research stations would mitigate the board coverage problem in a two player game.

Worth noting is that we're not really hardcore about analysing the results, but the three roles mentioned at the top seem to be the easiest and most natural to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispatcher Medic is usually a solid combo. The dispatcher moves the medic around and the medic can treat diseases very efficiently.

It is especially good once a disease has been cured.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
I used to play solo using two roles (now I usually play with 3 roles) and find that the scientist is at her most powerful then. Since you can only have 14 cards max "in play" at any one time, being able to cure with only 4 cards is a huge benefit. The researcher is good at any count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Jenkins
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TL;DR
Field Director + Archivist is my only perfect game experience vs Heroic (6 epidemic) Virulent Strain + Emergency Events (6).

The answer to this question changes depending on the expansions you're using. I've played a tremendous number of games ranging from only the base game to Virulent Strain + Emergency Events + Lab Challenge. The only perfect game I've ever played was with the Archivist + Field Director. There are a lot of reasons for this including things like the FD moving Archivist to facilitate trades, expanded hand size in a two player game being so valuable, and recovery of cards used for other actions providing tremendous power. I personally don't care much for the scientist because it removes player agency and largely relies on draws. Medic has a humongous action efficiency, especially once cures are achieved, but it's easy to fall into the fallacy of only treating because it has so much more immediate impact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darsh 97 Cl.199
France
Issy-les-Moulineaux
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
psson73 wrote:
We're trying to win Pandemic with all possible two-player combinations (21 variants) in the base game

I'm trying to do the same, playing solo with two roles with the standard difficulty.
I am also trying to see the impact of the starting player ie. I have tried Dispatcher (1P) and Medic but also Medic (1P) and Dispatcher.

I'm allowng only one try at any given combination, even if I'm am disappointed by my gameplay of if bad luck meant loss on third turn for instance. I am also tracking for each victory the number of outbreaks as well as cumulated number of cubes left on the board (should have tracked remaining cards in deck and eradicated diseases also... too late). As of now, I have tried everything but the combinations involving the "State of emergency" roles.

There are roles that are easier to consider for newcomers as they do not need to set in palce a specific strategy (see the Generalist: 5 actions, pretty straightforwad).
The best performance was given, in my case, with the Medic or Troubleshooter as starting player and with Medic, Troubleshooter or Pilot as second player (given in descending order of performance).

Overall, 38% victories and I have tried 86% of all possible combinations.

The day I have finished trying all combinations, I will post the results here. Then I will give a second shot at all combinations which has led to a loss so far. Then I will increase the diffiulty by a notch and test only the best combinations.

Note the above reflects my way of playing the game (meaning that some roles do not suit me and I have probably not made the effort to win because of that). Note also that I have been through a learning curve at the beginning and that I have now a more decent success rate that at the beginning of this experience

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pettersson
Sweden
Arvika
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darsh97 wrote:
I am also tracking for each victory the number of outbreaks as well as cumulated number of cubes left on the board (should have tracked remaining cards in deck and eradicated diseases also... too late)

As we've played we've noticed that games have different tendencies. Sometimes the player deck running out is the problem but in other instances it's outbreaks and cubes running out. For us it's mostly the latter, having a spectacular chain of outbreaks emptying a color out. I seem to remember someone writing that more experienced/less casual players mostly manage to fend off the infections and outbreaks, so I guess we're not that hardcore.

darsh97 wrote:
The best performance was given, in my case, with the Medic or Troubleshooter as starting player and with Medic, Troubleshooter or Pilot as second player (given in descending order of performance).

Haven't played much with the roles from On the Brink yet but the Troubleshooter looks like a role with potential if played right. Mobility in some form has been a great help.

The Pilot is from some other expansion?

Thinking of retrying both the best and the worst combinations. The best to see if they're really consistently good and the worst to see if there might be a specific strategy to win. Unless I find out someone has already done that analysis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darsh 97 Cl.199
France
Issy-les-Moulineaux
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
psson73 wrote:
The Pilot is from some other expansion?

Can't recall from which expansion this (replying from my workplace, so...).
This one is extremely mobile (and can carry other pawns), so I concur with your analysis about mobility which is of the essence in this game if you want to quench rapidly progressing diseases.
Of course, this comes with drawbacks (no driving/ferrying possible therefore some bonus cards will not apply to that character, impossible to build Research Centers, etc). Yet, a very straigthforward character which helped boost my win/loss ratio!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pettersson
Sweden
Arvika
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darsh97 wrote:
This one is extremely mobile (and can carry other pawns), so I concur with your analysis about mobility which is of the essence in this game if you want to quench rapidly progressing diseases.

One thing I've found sort of odd is that the Operations Expert has been one of two consistently losing roles (the other being Contingency planner). Initially he was one of my favorite roles since he can travel anywhere from a Research station without being limited to the specific cities in hand and also sets up new Research stations almost for free to help out mobility for all others. Granted, his usefulness tapers off once all stations are out but I really thought that rapid start would count for more.

This is one I probably will revisit, solo if necessary, to see if he is salvageable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darsh 97 Cl.199
France
Issy-les-Moulineaux
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I confirm your analysis. Those two are among the worst roles possible. If you limit the choice to the base roles, yeah, I'd avoid them.
Contingency planner is definitely too dependant on which bonus cards have been drawn.
As far as the Operations Expert is concerned, yes, I too need to re-explore that role. I think I probably layed a network of Research Stations too early (that seemed eficient but I should have waited to see which are the areas concerned with diseases spreading first and then focus on those areas).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you guys say it plays well as a two player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
I have overtext 'cause everyone else was doing it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Race Bannon wrote:
Would you guys say it plays well as a two player?

A majority of my 400 plus games have been two player. I think it works really well with just two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.