Hide
10 Posts

Smash Up» Forums » Rules

Subject: Returning to the Sea to move minions to other bases. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin González
msg tools
If I have Ship's Engineer on a base that is not scoring, and I decide to play Return to the Sea after another base scores, can I move all those minions to another base instead of putting them in my hand?

I'm pressuming that you cannot, since Return to the Sea just puts them in your hand, not return them. How would we interpret this?

Thanks in advance!

For reference:

Ship's Engineer - Ongoing: If another one of your minions would be returned to your hand, you may move it to another base instead.

Return to the Sea- Special: After a base scores, put any number of your minions with the same name on that base into your hand instead of the discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Hurley
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd say that's a perfectly legal combo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can give you some answers, but not a complete one.

During play testing, the question came up that if you returned multiple minions to your hand with a single effect (the example was Alien's crop circles), if you could move all of them with the engineer. The answer was no. You have to choose one minion for each engineer you have in play.

Typically, the word put is used in Smash Up to avoid triggering effects like "when the minion is played/moved/returned".
So I'd argue here that putting them in your hand doesn't trigger the engineer, as that one is triggered by returning the minion to your hand.

So until an official answer comes from Bryan Stout, I'd rule that you can move either 0 or 1 minion per engineer when Return to the Sea is played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vespert Ilio
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
quit and nuts wrote:

During play testing, the question came up that if you returned multiple minions to your hand with a single effect (the example was Alien's crop circles), if you could move all of them with the engineer. The answer was no. You have to choose one minion for each engineer you have in play.

Are you sure? I checked and I found a different answer saying that Ship's Engineer can move several minions that are returned at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was that other answer from after the engineer has "one" in it's text?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vespert Ilio
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good point. Unless I'm mistaken, "one" didn't even appear in any of the latest versions of the playtest cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vespert wrote:
Good point. Unless I'm mistaken, "one" didn't even appear in any of the latest versions of the playtest cards.

I checked. It was in the very first version, and then got removed when the card was reworded. It was added again in the very last version when the wording was checked in detail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vespert Ilio
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So its current version was not playtested and "one" was only added for wording consistency. I guess we'll have to wait for Bryan Stout on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What stops the ability from triggering multiple times?
If it was like the brownie "after a card returns another one of your minions, you may move one instead" then it would make sense for just one minion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vespert wrote:
So its current version was not playtested and "one" was only added for wording consistency. I guess we'll have to wait for Bryan Stout on this one.

There are not that many cards that can return more than one minion to your hand.
We've always tested it as if it only applied to one minion per card/ability for each engineer. Just because we thought we were supposed to.

Edit: and I think it doesn't combine with watch the OP is suggesting, as that card "puts" the minions in your hand, instead of returning them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.