Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: Unofficial Survey Card Stock Preference rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Taela Sky
msg tools
Ok - I am wondering what the best card stock is to print a card game on (not PnP, production). Given the choice which would you prefer Linen or Plastic? And feel free to include why?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I shuffling these cards frequently and repeatedly, or once per game?

Are the cards handled a lot and passed around, or are they placed in front of the player and not moved for most of the game?

Are the cards double sided?

Are there many cards or just a few?

Which material is right for the expected uses?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taela Sky
msg tools

Am I shuffling these cards frequently and repeatedly, or once per game? There are actually several decks in the game. The Draw deck is used probably the most. But you only go thru the deck once per game.

Are the cards handled a lot and passed around, or are they placed in front of the player and not moved for most of the game? They are placed in front of the players and aren't moved too often.

Are the cards double sided? If you're asking are asking do they have printing on both sides, yes. Though one side is just the card backs.

Are there many cards or just a few? 235

Which material is right for the expected uses? I think both would be durable. What I'm wondering is which would players prefer given the option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It took a moment to realize you were reasponding.

Typically people quote others' words and add their own, like this:

Quote:

Quote:
Am I shuffling these cards frequently and repeatedly, or once per game?

There are actually several decks in the game. The Draw deck is used probably the most. But you only go thru the deck once per game.

Quote:
Are the cards handled a lot and passed around, or are they placed in front of the player and not moved for most of the game?

They are placed in front of the players and aren't moved too often.

Quote:
Are the cards double sided?

If you're asking are asking do they have printing on both sides, yes.
Though one side is just the card backs.

Quote:
Are there many cards or just a few?

Also, the questions were meant to ask you, the designer/producer to ask yourself what you'd prefer and why you're making certain choices.

Provided you have a reason for making a choice, it's probably the right one.

For example, compare the cost per card (or per deck) of the various materials. Does one material push you over an undesired price-point? 235 is a lot of cards, one material might be too expensive and make your game cost too much at retail.

If some of the 'cards' are more like player mats, maybe those are on cardboard instead of being presented as cards.

If the cards expect to see a lot of abuse, a more durable material is presumably desirable. If the cards see light use, then you can make decisions based on that.

Some folks are against non-renewable materials (like plastic) and prefer paper/cardstock. Some like "loose" cards, others like really stiff "thick" cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taela Sky
msg tools
Thanks. Sorry about the quote thing.

So basically there isn't one good choice. I'll just have to do the best I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.