Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Vast: The Crystal Caverns» Forums » Rules

Subject: 3 questions - 2 cave, 1 dragon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Ferguson
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hokie Hokie Hokie Hi! Tech Tech VPI!
badge
Santa's Workshop - Coming from Rio Grande Games in 2017
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies if these have been asked before...

First, the cave...when the cave is placing treasures on dark tiles, the rules say the dark tile cannot contain a player piece or treasure token. By "treasure token", does this also mean a tile that has a treasure icon on it, that has not been turned over yet?

The other cave question - for the "Past Plunder" and "Hatred" powers, it lists 1/2/3 omens - I assume depending on the number of omens used, that's the number of times that power can be used? In other words, for "Past Plunder", if the cave spends 3 omens, the player can place 3 treasure tokens, and likewise for "Hatred", if the player spends 3 omens, they can place/remove 3 tiles (depending on if the cave is growing or collapsing)?

Now, for the Dragon question - for the "wrath" power...are there any more specific rules for sliding together splits in the map? And what constitutes a split, really? Is it just any time there are tile(s) that are not connected to the larger map?

Thanks for any help!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 2 questions - 1 cave, 1 dragon
KTFerguson wrote:
Apologies if these have been asked before...

First, the cave...when the cave is placing treasures on dark tiles, the rules say the dark tile cannot contain a player piece or treasure token. By "treasure token", does this also mean a tile that has a treasure icon on it, that has not been turned over yet?

This means the wooden (or cardboard) Treasure token. I.e., you can't put a Treasure onto a tile that already has a Treasure on it (whether you had placed it in a previous turn or one was moved there). Tokens are physical pieces (Treasure, Vault, Gems, etc). If they were referring to the tile they would have used "Treasure tile". Similarly, "Crystal token" is what you smash, while "Crystal tiles" are what the "Crystal tokens" are placed on.

KTFerguson wrote:
Now, for the Dragon question - for the "wrath" power...are there any more specific rules for sliding together splits in the map? And what constitutes a split, really? Is it just any time there are tile(s) that are not connected to the larger map?

You've got it. If a chunk of map (1 tile or more) is not connected to another chunk, the map is "split". "Connected" means sharing a side (tiles touching corners only are not "connected"). This doesn't mean you can't have gaps in the map...an entire area can be missing in the middle as long as there is some path connecting the two sides.
"Sliding together" means just that. Slide the disconnected chunk the minimum amount needed to connect the two (horizontally or vertically...your choice if it's the same distance). This is done before filling in open edges. So if Wrath takes out the middle of a map, it suddenly gets a lot shorter to get from one side to the other.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Chaffer
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Grand Rapids Area Boardgamers
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KTFerguson wrote:
The other cave question - for the "Past Plunder" and "Hatred" powers, it lists 1/2/3 omens - I assume depending on the number of omens used, that's the number of times that power can be used? In other words, for "Past Plunder", if the cave spends 3 omens, the player can place 3 treasure tokens, and likewise for "Hatred", if the player spends 3 omens, they can place/remove 3 tiles (depending on if the cave is growing or collapsing)?

Close, but not quite. The first use of the power costs 1 omen, the second 2 omens, and all further uses 3 omens. So it would cost 6 omens to place 3 treasure tokens with Past Plunder, not 3 omens.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: Jonathan beat me to it.

KTFerguson wrote:
The other cave question - for the "Past Plunder" and "Hatred" powers, it lists 1/2/3 omens - I assume depending on the number of omens used, that's the number of times that power can be used? In other words, for "Past Plunder", if the cave spends 3 omens, the player can place 3 treasure tokens, and likewise for "Hatred", if the player spends 3 omens, they can place/remove 3 tiles (depending on if the cave is growing or collapsing)?

To use the power the first time in a turn requires 1 omen. 2nd time requires 2, and 3rd and later times require 3. Hence, to use it twice requires 3 total (1 for first use, 2 for second). To use it three times requires 6 total (1 for 1st, 2 for 2nd, 3 for 3rd). Using it beyond 3 requires 3 more omens each time. The cost resets each turn. This basically makes it more costly to use these powers more than once in a turn (compared to others which have a constant cost).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Ferguson
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hokie Hokie Hokie Hi! Tech Tech VPI!
badge
Santa's Workshop - Coming from Rio Grande Games in 2017
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dsdhornet wrote:
[q="KTFerguson"]Apologies if these have been asked before...

First, the cave...when the cave is placing treasures on dark tiles, the rules say the dark tile cannot contain a player piece or treasure token. By "treasure token", does this also mean a tile that has a treasure icon on it, that has not been turned over yet?

This means the wooden (or cardboard) Treasure token. I.e., you can't put a Treasure onto a tile that already has a Treasure on it (whether you had placed it in a previous turn or one was moved there). Tokens are physical pieces (Treasure, Vault, Gems, etc). If they were referring to the tile they would have used "Treasure tile". Similarly, "Crystal token" is what you smash, while "Crystal tiles" are what the "Crystal tokens" are placed on.


Ok, so just to be pedantic...in our game, I was the cave, I placed a treasure token on a dark tile...the knight later came into the tile, flipped it, and there was a treasure symbol...so now there were two treasure tokens on that tile...that was correct?

Appreciate the answers to the other questions...I was definitely playing the 1/2/3 omen tokens incorrectly...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KTFerguson wrote:
Ok, so just to be pedantic...in our game, I was the cave, I placed a treasure token on a dark tile...the knight later came into the tile, flipped it, and there was a treasure symbol...so now there were two treasure tokens on that tile...that was correct?

You got it. And the Knight can pick both up as part of the same Encounter where he/she flipped the tile.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.