The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » News

Subject: More news about The Sands of Harad rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
Check it out here:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/29/an-unli...

It just keeps getting better and better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, great combo of heroes there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards spoiled in this article:

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijer
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the art on Legolas's new hero card, but his face on Unlikely Friendship is going to haunt my dreams...

That is some uncanny valley you've got there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I don't like the art on either hero (their core set versions were much better, as was the ally Gimli), and the Legolas on Unlikely Friendship is indeed weird. But Gimli on that same card is pretty cool, and the Dwarven Shield art is also great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lent
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
DEFINITELY A GOOD GUY, GUYS
mbmbmbmbmb
That's Todd the Elf. I believe he's an original character by FFG. He definitely enjoys drinking Michelob Ultra while comparison shopping skis online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new pair of heroes makes Durin's song really strong. You'll be able to use 2 boosts for certain and the third isn't a big stretch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Kester
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These cards are really beautiful. Can't wait to get them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Added spoiler tags to the card commentary incase people didn't want any hints about the card content.

Mirkwood Longknife seems like such a nice card considering it's in a faction where Unexpected Courage exists. Also Light Of Valinor. Most Silvan heroes are Lore though so it most likely goes in a Lore/Spirit deck. Obviously Legolas is a good pick, but I can also see using it with Haldir to quest then snipe or even Argalad to both quest and reduce threat effectively. Dwarven Shield feels like a better implementation of what Sword of Numenor was trying to do. I can definitely see running that card. Also I like that Gimli and Legolas don't need to be in the same deck to play off each other. Considering they are Ranged and Sentinel characters it's probably more useful if they aren't in the same deck. It sounds fun to have these two heroes helping each other back and forth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phillosmaster wrote:
Added spoiler tags to the card commentary incase people didn't want any hints about the card content.

Mirkwood Longknife seems like such a nice card considering it's in a faction where Unexpected Courage exists. Also Light Of Valinor. Most Silvan heroes are Lore though so it most likely goes in a Lore/Spirit deck. Obviously Legolas is a good pick, but I can also see using it with Haldir to quest then snipe or even Argalad to both quest and reduce threat effectively. Dwarven Shield feels like a better implementation of what Sword of Numenor was trying to do. I can definitely see running that card. Also I like that Gimli and Legolas don't need to be in the same deck to play off each other. Considering they are Ranged and Sentinel characters it's probably more useful if they aren't in the same deck. It sounds fun to have these two heroes helping each other back and forth.

I also really like how they don't necessarily have to be together to still be useful. The readying works for anybody, but together they get a little boost. These are really great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
dwjmeijer wrote:

"Man, I love Dwarves! Dwarves are the best!"
"Um, thank you, Legolas. That's very nice of you."
"Seriously, they're so... Dwarvey! With their Dwarvenness and their Dwarviosity!"
"Dammit, Merry, I told you he couldn't handle that much pipeweed!"
"It's even fun to say! Dwaaarves. *giggle* Dwwwwaaaaaarrrrrvvvvvessss..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like these Legolas and Gimli cards, but thematically, these would have been perfect for the Mountain of Fire saga box. I'm rather surprised that they're appearing here instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lent
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have big characters that still haven't shown up in the sagas; we've yet to see ally-hero redundancy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
"A pair of Dwarven Shields can boost Gimli's Defense Strength to the point where he can resist all but the toughest enemies without taking a scratch..."

Thematically, this sounds awfully silly, but I see where they are coming from. If he uses two shields, how can he wield an axe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
One on his arm and one on his back. He spins around to block attacks

As an alternative one on each arm and he just kicks his foes to death or perhaps offers them some deadly head-butts. I like this option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shield bash is probably also a thing (it feels like it would be, but I have no relevant experience in this area). Particularly if you hit with the edge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bokrug wrote:
"A pair of Dwarven Shields can boost Gimli's Defense Strength to the point where he can resist all but the toughest enemies without taking a scratch..."

Thematically, this sounds awfully silly, but I see where they are coming from. If he uses two shields, how can he wield an axe?
thematically or not, Dwarven Shield is really silly in general since you only gain extra resources when he takes damage, but they're suggesting that you throw both of them on so he doesn't take any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lent
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the shield is too expensive for what it provides. It's nice to get more Dwarf defense thematically, but it is anti-synergistic with Gloin and red Gimli. Dain is probably too valuable to defend with most of the time. MAYBE it could see some play on red Dori.

The knife is great, though. One card and one restricted slot for a Dunedain Quest and a Dunedain Mark? Awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd totally drop one or even two shields on Gloin. One extra defense reduces the amount of resources Gloin generates by one, but then the shield's effect gives that one resource anyway. The net result is the same amount of resources generated, but less healing required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On most dwarf defenders (and *especially* Dain), I'd prefer to have Armored Destrier and Dwarven Shield than two Dwarven Shields -- but I'd definitely have no problem playing one shield on a dwarf defender. It's good value for the resources. TaGimli isn't really a dwarf defender.

For sentinel defenders like LeGimli and Dori, Dwarven Shield and Day's Rising means they will generate a resource from defending whether they take damage or not. That's pretty sweet, and a sphere match for both in LeGimli's case -- plus LeGimli wants resources for his ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you could throw it on Bombur since he's a Lore hero. In his sphere he has access to Burning Brand. With 5 health and the abundance of Lore healing cards he could be useful as a low risk defender and resource generator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atman B
msg tools
This gimli art is my favourite dwarf art (close to Ori,hero)!!!!
It's just so... dwarfy!!! love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
dwjmeijer wrote:
Love the art on Legolas's new hero card, but his face on Unlikely Friendship is going to haunt my dreams...

His face is drawing your attention away from that fantastic beard in the background. That must have taken that dude forever to grow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirko Risso
msg tools
mb
BUt...why Gimli and Legolas in the Harad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincenzo Beretta
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
phillosmaster wrote:
dwjmeijer wrote:

His face is drawing your attention away from that fantastic beard in the background. That must have taken that dude forever to grow.

Isn't he Alan Moore? laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.