João Guisado
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I heard of this beautiful game, the kickstarter campaign was already done. I was thrilled to know I had the chance to make a late pledge. Then I started reading about the game here on bgg and got mixed feelings...

Now that everyone knows what the game brings to the table, is it worth the money?

I'm asking in the point of view of a kickstarter backer. Does the exclusive content worth the investment on a game that will only be outl in a year?

I've read that retail version will have standees instead of minis, so i guess that has to be counted?

In my case specifically, does the "no sanctuary tier" worth the 125$? (I am an European, dunno if that can change things)

Sorry for my english and thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you're asking backers if they think the KS is worth backing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 125 also includes the first 2 expansions. I wanted the mini more than the standee standee are okay in some games like dead of winter, but for thewalking dead, i wanted mini. And we unlocked the RV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Depends how you measure it - Quality of game or Quantity of Components

For the quality of game there are plenty of reviews out there and the game is designed by the renowned Sadler brothers. Only you can decide if it is the type of game you would like.

In terms of quantity of components, your $125 gets you 130(ish) miniature figures, a large Mini RV (70mm long IIRC).

11 of those individual figures are KS exclusives (some multiple copies of the same figure), most of which come with their own unique playing cards or scenarios or map tiles. I would hazard that the KS alone would retail (if sold) somehwere near $125 in total. But that are KS exclusive so you will not be able to buy them in a store, only ebay.

So in terms of quty, then I think the answer is a resounding YES
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some will measure on QUALITY of components (which is an unknown). 130+ crappy figures will rate a lot lower than 130+ nicely detailed figures.

As for game reviews, no, there are not a lot because the game is not out. There are some reviews of playtest copies of the playtest version, and reviews of the demo at GENCON. The reviews are mixed. Those paid to review it REALLY liked, so did some others, some did not. Once the game is actually published (or at least the rules in their final state are released) we will get a better feel.

As of right now, I don't think the OP's question can be competently answered. 'Is it worth it" when we don't have anything yet just cannot be answered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Guisado
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the opinions!

So, in my particular case I'm inclined to pledge for the no sanctuary tier. This is because where I live I almost certainly won't have access to discounts on amazon, since I only have access to european amazons (customs prevent me to buy on amazon.com). Additionally, there's few stores to buy on Portugal, most of them are online only. So the expansions might get expensive...

Another question is about whether I should buy some add ons or not.

I'm thinking Lori because I just wanted to have the complete set of characters.

Wandering about the dice set. It's cheap and nice to have.

Then comes my main indecision... Should I buy "Days gone by"? Main reason to buy it for me is the extra 4 double sided tiles. Future custom scenarios may be made with this. The actual scenario is a plus, but not that important. The mini has little value to me.

Everything else I really don't care about much, it's either too expensive or not interesting..

What is your opinion on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Je_Pe wrote:
Then comes my main indecision... Should I buy "Days gone by"? Main reason to buy it for me is the extra 4 double sided tiles. Future custom scenarios may be made with this. The actual scenario is a plus, but not that important. The mini has little value to me.

Everything else I really don't care about much, it's either too expensive or not interesting..

From what I've seen and read so far, the tiles are very nondescript and have little impact on play thus far. In another thread, the designer said they were mainly for aesthetic reasons but there were scenarios later on that used them differently. With that in mind, if you're buying that expansion specifically to get the tiles I would suggest you don't really need them.

I got the "No Sanctuary" tier pledge and Lori add-on and am happy that I will have more content than I will be able to get to with so many other games that I have to play in my collection as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the above comment about the tiles. They do not seem to add to the game in such a way that the extra variation is worthwhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Guisado
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I have to agree that the tiles are mostly aesthetic. But aren't this specific tiles different enough from the rest so they become attractive? Since the community (maybe even the publishers or designers themselves) would then be able to create new scenarios using this tiles, using their layout and unique characteristics, to create interesting new missions with unique new mechanics and such? Am I overthinking this? Maybe I am...

But since we're talking about the scenarios, what do you think of them as what they are? (the add on scenarios)
Do any of them worth their cost?

Ps: please someone teach me how to do a reply without having to have a subject.. xS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Click quick quote and it populates the subject for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Je_Pe wrote:
Another question is about whether I should buy some add ons or not.
I'm thinking Lori because I just wanted to have the complete set of characters.
Wandering about the dice set. It's cheap and nice to have.

I basically did what you are thinking (plus Walk With Me/Clear). Having extra tiles never hurt, even if they are only marginally different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Guisado
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
I basically did what you are thinking (plus Walk With Me/Clear). Having extra tiles never hurt, even if they are only marginally different.

Yeah, but my indecision comes with the value of those tiles. Are the the 4 tiles (plus the mini and the scenario itself) wort 20$?

The "walk with me/clear' isn't labeled as kickstarter exclusive so I rather wait and buy them later on, possibly as mini expansion or with future expansions I guess..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Je_Pe wrote:
longagoigo wrote:

Yeah, but my indecision comes with the value of those tiles. Are the the 4 tiles (plus the mini and the scenario itself) wort 20$?

The "walk with me/clear' isn't labeled as kickstarter exclusive so I rather wait and buy them later on, possibly as mini expansion or with future expansions I guess..

Shipping cost is an important consideration for me, so I either get everything I might want now, or not get any extras at all because an additional purchase would involve additional shipping costs. Is it worth $20? Hopefully!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Je_Pe wrote:

That's the thing about Kickstarter games, you won't know if "it's worth it" until backers have received it, start playing it and reviews come out.

I already answered you in my above post, so ultimately it's up to you to evaluate whether you "need" it or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Guisado
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously when I ask if it's worth I'm asking based on the little information we have and the expectations of each individual... I know we won't know the true value until we receive it. The question is "as of right now, bering in mind both the risks but also the potential benefits, does it worth the risk/investment for you? If so, why? Or why not?".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Guisado
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
Je_Pe wrote:
longagoigo wrote:

Shipping cost is an important consideration for me, so I either get everything I might want now, or not get any extras at all because an additional purchase would involve additional shipping costs. Is it worth $20? Hopefully!

They are not kickstarter exclusive content so they will eventually be somewhere. Probably on future expansions. Since I plan on buying (or backing) future expansions I don't think it is a good idea to buy it now. I would be duplicating content. I might be wrong about where they will be included though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Davej360 wrote:
I think the $75 base mini tier is more "worth it" than the no sanctuary tier. You get a many extras that won't be in the retail box.

The no sanctuary tier forces to pay for up front for the expansions and doing this only gets you 5 "general rival" minis and the Daryl figure with one scenario and some cards.

Personally, I'd rather wait to see if I actually like the game before buying expansions. The expansions here are costing $25 a piece. I'm willing to take a chance that future retail will be in the same range.

If you're really worried about missing the Daryl scenario it's only a $12 add on. We really don't know if the rival minis will add much to the existing bad guy mini pool.

$75 tier is really where the sweet spot is.

For the extra $40 you get 2 expansions each with 24 Miniatures, Daryl mini and related cards, plus a mini of Lori’s ghost 'that shows up randomly to cause havoc' and , 'The Governor: a Survivor Deck, Sculpt, and Survivor Board that make The Governor a playable character'

I make that 51 extra minis for $40, plus the gameplay elements

So I agree the low risk sweet spot if $75, but if you are willing to take the risk there is quite a lot you get in that extra $40 bundle.

For me $75 is a risk in itself (in terms of gameplay quality) but there is quite a lot extra that I could use elsewhere for the $40 bundle, so I would argue the best value is the $115 tier. Worst comes to worst you could sell most of the exclusives to cover your costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Guisado
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just gained the courage and pledge the "no sanctuary" tier with "Extra Custom Dice" "Walk With Me & Clear" and "Lori Grimes".

I agree with Guy, if I really have to, I can sell the exclusives (even the game if it needs to be) and probably cover the costs. I hope I don't have to, because I really want this game to be a huge sucess. Yes, I am a big fan of WD...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew PF
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have not been able to back on Kickstarter but I have thought to try and "back" through the pledge manager. One problem I have is that I am as yet unsure what the difference between tiers is and what the No Sanctuary level actually includes (whether there are all KS exclusives etc). Has anyone got any idea for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Why dont you check the KS campaign page its all there. There is also some confirmations in the recent commments. Or indeed simply read the entries against this original post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew PF
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
PlanBee wrote:
Why dont you check the KS campaign page its all there. There is also some confirmations in the recent commments. Or indeed simply read the entries against this original post.

LOL it never even occurred to me that the KS page would still be active! Cheers for the reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.