Jools Thomas
Japan
Kobe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just about to run my first ever Math Trade here in Osaka and I'd invisioned it as 'no ship' but a couple of people have now suggested making it 'mixed'. Is that a bad idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Yes.
How you value trades will depend on whether you expect to have to pay shipping on the game you trade. I might be willing to trade a $20 game for a $20 game if I don't have to pay shipping. But if I have to tack on another $15 or so, then that's not such a good deal anymore. I'd only want to trade higher value games if I have to pay shipping.

Not having any clue who will get my game and whether I'll have to ship a game or not, adds a random factor I would never accept. I'd rather sit that trade out than take a chance on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the real question is, is there an interface and algorithm for math trades that takes postage costs into account? It would need to be fool-proof, and allow non-shippers to not ship while allowing willing-to-ship participants a greater pool of potential trades, without needing to run two separate sets of trades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
--------------- ---------------

Seanville
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jools wrote:
I'm just about to run my first ever Math Trade here in Osaka and I'd invisioned it as 'no ship' but a couple of people have now suggested making it 'mixed'. Is that a bad idea?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
--------------- ---------------

Seanville
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
I think the real question is, is there an interface and algorithm for math trades that takes postage costs into account? It would need to be fool-proof, and allow non-shippers to not ship while allowing willing-to-ship participants a greater pool of potential trades, without needing to run two separate sets of trades.

No such thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jools wrote:
Yes.

I wouldn't want to have to bother shipping stuff, even if someone else was going to pay the cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jools wrote:

That's just a maths trade with shipping. People who live close enough normally don't ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Benkyo wrote:

No such thing.

I'm surprised.

I mean, on the surface it doesn't seem like a particularly challenging thing to set up within the framework of a typical math trade. Participants would be classified by local/non-local, and the local participants would indicate whether they were willing/not willing to ship (generally or per item). The algorithm would sort out the best network of trades among the pool of locals, then (or concurrently) between the pool of locals willing to ship and non-locals.

Perhaps there just hasn't been a demand for such a system?

In Japan, games are expensive and domestic shipping is cheap, and the network of gamers is quite spread out, with perhaps only two really significant clusters in Osaka and Tokyo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jools wrote:

I've set up two Math Trades like this. You have to make sure the shipping rules are VERY CLEAR.

Ensure that the people participating detail in their description whether they are willing to ship or not. If the poster specifies no shipping, the expectation is that anyone not within pickup / drop off distance does not put it in their want list. Simple.

I didn't run into any serious problems, but my Math Traders were relatively small.

You also need to stay on top of it as I had multiple people post items that didn't specify local pickup or shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's nothing wrong with running it mixed. If, at it's core, it's a no-ship trade then make it clear that anyone who is not planning on attending the trade in person is entirely responsible for all shipping costs (to and from them). Where both aren't attending than they split the cost. This means that the onus is on people not attending to confirm people are prepared to ship before trading and they need to check the costs themselves. The only risk you have is people not reading the terms of the trade properly and increasing the chance of pull-outs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in a local math trade (NYC), but the only thing on my wishlist was electronic gift cards, and I was willing to ship (home made dice bags).

So, if you had a no ship trade, I would say you could do it like that - people could accept things that wouldn't inconvenience the other person (electronic gift certificates) and be willing to ship their item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Ginley
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
...anywhere, except places like outer Mongolia or where I live

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.