Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A few questions:

1) The City Planner ability relates both "lowest influence" and "reverse influence order" for the next player to draft a card. I don't understand this, could we get a clarification/example please?

2) A Response card returns to a player's hand after use; from that point on, it can only be used for its MM, correct?

3) Commercial placement via an event says (pg. 9) that the building can be placed on a vacant lot on the City Grid - this is contrary to the standard rule that an ownership cube must be present. In other words, you can't place an event Commercial building where there's an ownership cube?

4) For City building card selection/reveal, pg. 6 states that MM ties are resolved in highest influence order, but pg. 14 says the Mayor breaks ties - which is correct?

Thnx in advance...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Giron
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not 100% sure on the answers to your first 3 questions so I'll let someone else handle those but I can answer this one.

Steve Carey wrote:

4) For City building card selection/reveal, pg. 6 states that MM ties are resolved in highest influence order, but pg. 14 says the Mayor breaks ties - which is correct?

The person with the highest influence will always be the Mayor, so both of those statements are correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Steve,

The City Planner used to be a County Assessor role and up until the latest iterations that person could pass to anyone they wanted after they chose so take that as a semi official variant. As for what's written, the Planner chooses the next lowest in influence order then they pass to next lowest so if Planner is Mayor in a 4 player game he passes it to 4th player, then 3rd, then 2nd gets whats left over.

2) Yes you keep it and play it later.

3) Commercial buildings via cards go straight down on a vacant lot, so they would not go over an ownership cube.

Cheers,
Wade
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks much, Wade - the Commercial building events threw me the most (even though the rules are clear that cards override the standard rules) since construction on a vacant lot seems so alien.

Response card usage makes more sense to me now as the turn structure (play one card) needs to be maintained.

Gotcha on City Planner, once I fathomed that the highest influence was the lowest number, that makes sense too.

Lots of interesting stuff here, FiS looks to be a meaty card-driven euro - I'll be bringing it to a local convention (Strategicon) this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Giron
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
denverarch wrote:

... so if Planner is Mayor in a 4 player game ...

Hi Wade,

Is it even possible for the Planner to also be Mayor? I thought the rules state that once you decide who the Mayor is then that IS their role and the person with 2nd most influence then picks their role and so on. Maybe that was another late rule tweak?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael, yes it's possible since all the (5) roles are selected. So in a 4P game, the Mayor will have a second role, while the other three players have a single role.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wade, I'm still somewhat confused by the verbiage for Using Cards to Place Buildings.

For a House or Commercial building, they go only on a vacant lot (no ownership). Factory doesn't address ownership, just marked Factory spaces.

Would it just be easier to say that any building placed via card event only goes on a vacant lot, with Factories restricted to their marked spaces (unless "anywhere" is stated)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, when placing buildings via card events is a player allowed to immediately daisy-chain those placements?

For example, a card says "Place 2 Factories and 1 House". I have my starting Mansion 2 spaces away from Factory marked spaces - may I place a House down first (next to my Mansion) and then extend the grid from that just placed House to put the 2 Factories down (in marked spaces)?

I presume that Factories have to conform to the Grid, even though the rules don't specifically say so, unless the card text is "anywhere"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Giron
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
Michael, yes it's possible since all the (5) roles are selected. So in a 4P game, the Mayor will have a second role, while the other three players have a single role.

Woah! I missed that on my reading of the rules yesterday. Thanks for clearing that up. I'm very excited to get this played soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! I hope people enjoy it. Even after years working on the cards and rules there are a lot of possible combos so if you run into issues post or PM me and we'll get you an answer. I think overall my games have been really fun and mostly close, after you have the rules down I think play times can pick up and banter increase!

Lastly, I was going to post that we went back and forth with the election in the game and what is in now is a streamlined version. Previously, all election winners received 8VP. It was a nice boost and often determined the winner. Feel free to use that as another variant if you see fit.

Excited the final is out there and getting played!

Cheers,
Wade
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you can create 'power' or synergy moves and daisy chain to your benefit following the connection law. Yes, factories need to be adjacent to the grid so I'll often place my mansion in Bessemer if I have a good industrial opening hand. It's meant to be flexible sorry if some of the rules got in the way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I have to check but all roles get distributed so a Mayor can be a planner in a 2 or 3 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The player aid, Phases, County Assessment (Scoring) first lists "Mayor" - what does this refer to (for scoring)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that refers to when scoring just start and count the mayors items first. We do each category and do it in player order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Giron
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
denverarch wrote:

Lastly, I was going to post that we went back and forth with the election in the game and what is in now is a streamlined version. Previously, all election winners received 8VP. It was a nice boost and often determined the winner. Feel free to use that as another variant if you see fit.

Interesting! I was able to get this played in my game group last night and the only somewhat negative comment made was the fact that there is no election held in the last era. We all enjoyed the fight for votes that happen in the first 2 eras and it just seemed strange to not have that in the last era. I like the idea of a variant where you still have an election in the last era and then reward 8 points to whoever wins.

Besides that the game was definitely a hit and it was requested that I bring it again next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
denverarch wrote:

2) Yes you keep it and play it later.

Is there an intended way to track that you've already used the card so you don't use it for the response ability again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm I don't remember there being multiple ways to trigger its use twice though I think Call out the Guard could happen. With only 5 cards per player, it doesn't seem like a round would go on so long you would forget. You could put a cube next to the Unrest track in that case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.