Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve T
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The wording on the "Snack Seller" card is "Once per Guests Step: Choose an open Ride attraction in your park. Gain 2 coins for each star in its star total."

So just to clarify, is that the total number of stars that the attraction has or is it totaling all the numbers within the stars?

I'm assuming as the word total was used it's the latter but just wanted to double check. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
The glossary has the "star total" as the total of all numbers on the gold stars

Anything I can do to clarify this terminology?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve T
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Thanks Joel, I think the glossary does explain it clearly. I can't really think of any other clearer wording for the card (that doesn't add length to the description).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Clark
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had not considered counting only the stars instead of the numbers but it makes sense it could be seen that way. Which now makes me question if you have a star with 0 guests is that count in the star total?
It would make me more apt to add upgrades with 0 to that ride to get that bonus if you were counting STARS not numbers.

Would it make sense to word it as the number of GUESTS on that ride?
Since the numbers represent the guests you would be more apt to count the numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoz
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my copy kickstarter copy of unfair this week and played my first game last night. My wife and I found this wording confusing, with "number of stars" suggesting counting physical star icons. We ended up playing it the correct way as outlined above. Some of the doubts were also because without any other experience with the game it seemed like a lot of coins at the time.

My suggestion for the wording on the seller itself:

"Once per Guests Step: Choose an open Ride attraction in your park. Gain coins equal to twice it's star total".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe sedita
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Sorry Joel but the working in the instruction manual is pretty wrong or at least incomplete as it states star total is equal to the number of all stars IN YOUR PARK. Which doesn't even technically apply to cards like snack seller which talks about the number of stars a RIDE has.

Ps I got 26 coins for a huge coaster out of her!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghettoimp wrote:
Sorry Joel but the working in the instruction manual is pretty wrong or at least incomplete as it states star total is equal to the number of all stars IN YOUR PARK. Which doesn't even technically apply to cards like snack seller which talks about the number of stars a RIDE has.

Joe, thanks for your feedback, glad to have another pair of eyes on it! The wording in the glossary says that a park's star total is the total of all the numbers on the active stars in it; but it doesn't say that "star total" as a term only applies to parks.

I agree that the wording can be made clearer, and we'll will revise the text to ensure that it's explicitly stated the term applies to anything that includes stars, but I think the main question of whether to count star-shaped symbols or total the numbers shown on them is answered by that glossary entry as it stands.

Glad to hear you sold a lot of snacks - a 13 star ride is pretty impressive even without the Snack Seller!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same question when I played my first game. If it indeed works as written, Snack Seller seems very overpowered.

When you add the numbers in the all the stars, this easily creates more revenue than the rest of the park. Especially because once you have the snack seller, you instantly lose all incitement to build upgrades on anything else.

x3 revenue for a ride is A LOT, and it isn't even limited by your park total number of guests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SonnyDK wrote:
I had the same question when I played my first game. If it indeed works as written, Snack Seller seems very overpowered.

When you add the numbers in the all the stars, this easily creates more revenue than the rest of the park. Especially because once you have the snack seller, you instantly lose all incitement to build upgrades on anything else.

x3 revenue for a ride is A LOT, and it isn't even limited by your park total number of guests.

expect that ride to be hit with a Giant Wad of Cash or the Snack Seller to be mesmerized, headhunted or sent on a Caribbean Vacation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Brebach
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
SonnyDK wrote:

expect that ride to be hit with a Giant Wad of Cash or the Snack Seller to be mesmerized, headhunted or sent on a Caribbean Vacation

...or that ride to be closed by anonymous complaint, fire drills, animal sighting...

Unfair is a thrill rather than leisure ride.

The big combos are there to be found, and the spikes to stop them too.

The strategic art of Unfair is in flying under the radar enough that you gain advantage without attracting the hits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or it won't, because there aren't THAT many offensive cards (at least not on robot/pirate as suggested in 1st game).. and Snack Seller will create more revenue than the rest of the park.

I really don't understand the narrative of Snack Seller. Why should a Snack Seller create so much income?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Gass
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SonnyDK wrote:
Or it won't, because there aren't THAT many offensive cards (at least not on robot/pirate as suggested in 1st game).. and Snack Seller will create more revenue than the rest of the park.

I really don't understand the narrative of Snack Seller. Why should a Snack Seller create so much income?

Dude, all theme park snack stands are insanely overpriced!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SonnyDK wrote:

5 of 13 event cards in Pirates could either remove the Snack Seller or close the high earning ride and 5 others would potentially make the ride smaller

Robot also contains 5 of 13 events to neutralize Snack Seller and 3 others to potentially reduce ride size

The problem many people have is that they don't want to "waste" turns or card slots in hand drawing event cards and then lament about not having the right event card (due to "unlucky draws") to do what they need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SonnyDK wrote:

Food in theme parks is expensive, and the intention is that the more exciting the ride, the larger the crowd it draws, and the larger captive audience for the Snack Seller to sell to while they wait to ride it.

Practically, the Snack Seller + ride combo is meant to stand out as a high-risk-high-reward option. The immediate reaction to the Snack Seller's ability is to want to build the tallest ride possible to maximise the income. The risk is that this is exactly the behaviour most likely to draw negative attention, and a hit to the stars on that attraction loses not only bonus income from the Snack Seller but also stars for normal income and points from the icons - by drawing attention to it, you're losing on three fronts at once.

You can of course go for one giant ride, the game doesn't have guard rails to stop you, but it is a risk, and sometimes it will work, and sometimes it will crash.

So the more conservative way to benefit from the Snack Seller is to build two smaller rides, preferably one thrill and one leisure, and keep them approximately equal in stars, even if not in icon size, so that having one closed or hit allows you to move your mobile snack empire to the other. This gives a lower but more reliable income with less risk of drawing the attention that results in being hit as often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.