Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was our first game last night, first scenario obviously.

Long story short, we reached to the point where our goal was to revert the ritual by making lore checks. We had two 2 Lore characters and one 3 Lore character. The thing is, we kept piling successes over and over, and it kept saying "Ritual is closer to completion", but nothing more. When it started to feel ridiculous (after like 15 successes made), I started just inputting successes 1 by 1 into the app to find out how much exactly it needs. And it kept saying "Ritual is closer to completion". After another 10 successes inputted I gave up and inputted 3 successes at once, and it solved the ritual.

So my questions are:
Was that a bug?
Is amount of successes to solve the final ritual in 1st scenario is really around 30~?
Or you need to generate 3 successes at once to solve it? Which was extremely unlikely with our setup of Lore characters. (and the part of description that says "Ritual is closer to completion" after each success addition is straight up lie?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
i didnt really count, but i think mine took about 15-20 sucesses, BUT i was using 2 investigators, so i think that might affect the total required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
My impression was that you needed
Spoiler (click to reveal)
3 successes in one attempt. I wasn't keeping track but I thought in the game I played the other day, it succeeded on the second or third (more likely the third) attempt when we got three successes in one roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Chris - that's what we found.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Hawkes
United Kingdom
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Another agreement here - we did 3 attempts - 2x two successes (result was the ritual being closer to completion) and then when Father Mateo extricated himself from the nightmare with the Star Spawn in the lounge and had a go he got four successes and the portal closed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, we essentially doomed ourselves by picking a party with low Lore. Well, now we'll know to always take at least one hard Lore hitter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TrueLolzor wrote:
So, we essentially doomed ourselves by picking a party with low Lore. Well, now we'll know to always take at least one hard Lore hitter.

You can end the game before the ritual (and subsequent Lore Test) by being fast

With the above said, it's definitely a good idea to take a high Lore character anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thompson
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I believe your task in this scenario is to disrupt the ritual before it is completed, so the phrase "Ritual is closer to completion" doesn't indicate partial success but rather impending doom.

There are ways to increase the chances of low lore characters making this roll in addition to the normal clue expenditure. These are specified in the test description. MoM has always been a tricky balance of getting where you need to be whilst acquiring what you need.

We made this check first time and with a tricky double hand-off managed to get the spoils to the one unwounded character who stood a chance to exit the mansion in time(me). Unfortunately I had recently developed a fascination for flame and so pocketed these pointless objects and immediately raced off in search of some candles I had spotted previously. We lost shortly after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the timer eventually run out?

We were at it for a number of rounds before hitting the magic 3 as well. We kept thinking we were about to fail and didn't. I got the feeling eventually time would run out. Well, the star spawn that was about to eat my character would have ran the timer out as well, but even assuming I could have gotten away, I'd like to think eventually the timer would have run out. I don't recall the wording of the ritual text, but I think it should have hinted that the goal was to have one spectacular success rather than an accumulation of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About time running out: the mansions starts getting desintegrated with each mythos phase if you stall. If you survive long enough, you get sucked into the void along with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We definitely completed it with only 2 successes at once....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Incarnadyne wrote:

There are ways to increase the chances of low lore characters making this roll in addition to the normal clue expenditure. These are specified in the test description. MoM has always been a tricky balance of getting where you need to be whilst acquiring what you need.

We made this check first time and with a tricky double hand-off managed to get the spoils to the one unwounded character who stood a chance to exit the mansion in time(me). Unfortunately I had recently developed a fascination for flame and so pocketed these pointless objects and immediately raced off in search of some candles I had spotted previously. We lost shortly after.

I would never play this game with you again (maybe not any game!) if you did that to us

TrueLolzor wrote:
About time running out: the mansions starts getting desintegrated with each mythos phase if you stall. If you survive long enough, you get sucked into the void along with it.

I'm curious how many people this has actually happened to. We never even got the 'slow' end scenario (reverse the ritual) until I played a solo game and deliberately went very slowly and interacted with everything just to experiment with the scenario. On both of our group games we were fast enough to get the 'Interrupt the ritual' ending (albeit a character died on the 1st play before we escaped with the components). It was my assumption that would be the norm. And it strikes me that anyone unable to thwart / reverse the ritual is going to be kiled by the Star Spawn long before the house is destroyed. Has anyone legitimately had that ending (actually playing the game, not just simulating it on the App)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cree C
United Kingdom
Weymouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
.... it strikes me that anyone unable to thwart / reverse the ritual is going to be kiled by the Star Spawn long before the house is destroyed. Has anyone legitimately had that ending (actually playing the game, not just simulating it on the App)?

We had this happen when playing with a group who explored the entire mansion and completed all the puzzles. We then proceeded to fail in rolling lore checks to shut down the ritual (not helped by my insanity condition meant that I was "saving" my pieces of evidence in case we won and I had less than six items causing me to lose the game). We managed to enter the portal, roll enough lore to find out how to close the portal and then roll enough lore to close it via the ritual circle. We "won" the scenario when the portal closed. Thankfully the two star spawns that were sitting on top of us disappeared into the ether and we were left standing in the ruins of a half collapsed mansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
Incarnadyne wrote:

I would never play this game with you again (maybe not any game!) if you did that to us

TrueLolzor wrote:

I'm curious how many people this has actually happened to. We never even got the 'slow' end scenario (reverse the ritual) until I played a solo game and deliberately went very slowly and interacted with everything just to experiment with the scenario. On both of our group games we were fast enough to get the 'Interrupt the ritual' ending (albeit a character died on the 1st play before we escaped with the components). It was my assumption that would be the norm. And it strikes me that anyone unable to thwart / reverse the ritual is going to be kiled by the Star Spawn long before the house is destroyed. Has anyone legitimately had that ending (actually playing the game, not just simulating it on the App)?

This also happened to us in our first run through. We mistakenly chose not to step into the void. Instead, we thought we were missing something so we proceeded to completely search out the entire mansion. We survived two Star Spawns and lasted until the entire mansion was sucked away into oblivion. Stepping into the void just seemed reminiscent of a part of the first Time Stories scenario....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
teppic2000 wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:
.... it strikes me that anyone unable to thwart / reverse the ritual is going to be kiled by the Star Spawn long before the house is destroyed. Has anyone legitimately had that ending (actually playing the game, not just simulating it on the App)?

We had this happen when playing with a group who explored the entire mansion and completed all the puzzles. We then proceeded to fail in rolling lore checks to shut down the ritual (not helped by my insanity condition meant that I was "saving" my pieces of evidence in case we won and I had less than six items causing me to lose the game). We managed to enter the portal, roll enough lore to find out how to close the portal and then roll enough lore to close it via the ritual circle. We "won" the scenario when the portal closed. Thankfully the two star spawns that were sitting on top of us disappeared into the ether and we were left standing in the ruins of a half collapsed mansion.

So even with your insanity condition hindering the team you still managed to close out the investigation before the house was destroyed!

Barring misjudgements like Mathue's above (hard luck man ) I doubt many people will see that house destroyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Beck
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the game yesterday and have played the first scenario twice. Both times we have been defeated by the slow ending. I honestly have no clue how to proceed (no spoilers please). We must be missing something obvious but we will try again this evening

Slow ending is definitely possible in normal play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Head_Rat wrote:
I got the game yesterday and have played the first scenario twice. Both times we have been defeated by the slow ending. I honestly have no clue how to proceed (no spoilers please). We must be missing something obvious but we will try again this evening

Slow ending is definitely possible in normal play!

But did the house actually get destroyed before an investigator was defeated? If so, how?? I'm genuinely curious. It seems to me that if you can't get the necessary tasks completed the Star Spawn would defeat you long before the house collapses?

Or were you spending all of your actions fighting it and not solving the task at hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Spawn is not that hard to defeat, you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TrueLolzor wrote:

Yes. We defeated two without issue. It's the built-in timer that hurts (nut complaining)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
TrueLolzor wrote:

I know that... but what I mean is what are the investigators doing during the end game? If one can defeat 2 Star Spawns then that was quite a lot of actions... why aren't they spending those actions to complete the investigation? I just don't get it. Sometimes you have to evade and just get on with the objective... it's not that difficult. It sounds like really poor prioritizing or decision making.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
TrueLolzor wrote:

I know that... but what I mean is what are the investigators doing during the end game? If one can defeat 2 Star Spawns then that was quite a lot of actions... why aren't they spending those actions to complete the investigation? I just don't get it. Sometimes you have to evade and just get on with the objective... it's not that difficult. It sounds like really poor prioritizing or decision making.

In my personal case, we had two 2 lore investigators who couldn't complete the objective because you need 3 successes at a time. Third one had 3 lore but coulnd't roll 3 successes. After like 20th try we gave up and started just cleaning the place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
TrueLolzor wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:
TrueLolzor wrote:

In my personal case, we had two 2 lore investigators who couldn't complete the objective because you need 3 successes at a time. Third one had 3 lore but coulnd't roll 3 successes. After like 20th try we gave up and started just cleaning the place.

Okay, I get that. Live and learn. But that would only be a problem the first time? I can't see how people are having problems on repeated plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
Okay, I get that. Live and learn. But that would only be a problem the first time? I can't see how people are having problems on repeated plays.
...insanity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.