$20.00
Edgars Zakis
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

Yesterday I played The Morgul Vale scenario and a situation arose, which I didn't know how to handle exactly. As it raised a more general question I'm posting it here. Skimmed through FAQ but didn't catch an answer for this, so maybe you, the fellow geeks, can help.

The situation:

* I'm fighting with Murzag, who has an ability: "Forced: After Murzag attacks, reveal the top card of the encounter deck. If that card is an enemy, put it into play engaged with the defending player."

* I reveal the card and its "When revealed" effect, if any, triggers. I managed to reveal Forest Bat, who says "When Revealed: The first player deals 2 damage to a questing hero and removes that hero from the quest."

So what happens now? This is the combat phase, so are there any questing heroes? Does the game remember that this guy and that girl went questing and still wishes to punish them? Or can questing heroes exist only in the questing phase (and attacking and defending heroes in their respective phases)? I voted that the characters are no longer questing in the combat phase, but knowing this game it could also be the other way around.

If this is mentioned somewhere in the rules or FAQ, please, point it out.

Thank you very much in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no questing characters during the combat phase.

For reference, see rulebook pg. 14:

rulebook wrote:
Characters committed to a quest are considered committed to that quest through the end of the quest phase, unless removed from the quest by a card effect. They do remain exhausted once this step is complete.

Characters being considered committed through the end of the quest phase implies they are no longer considered committed after the quest phase ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Forest Bat does nothing since you're no longer in the quest phase, you've moved into the combat phase. The 'when revealed' effect would obviously have happened had it been revealed in the quest phase instead.

So basically you got lucky there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just out of interest .. What happens if you draw a card in this situation that ISNT an enemy..

If it's a treachery, do you still activate it..
If it's a location, do you add it to staging?

Or do you simply discard any card that is not an enemy? The Murzag card is only explicit about any enemy cards drawn..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
"Reveal" means that you trigger all "When Revealed" effects, then (for non-treacheries) add the card to the staging area. The only difference between Murzag's effect and the usual staging step is that Murzag makes enemies skip the staging area and engage you immediately (and, of course, that Murzag's effect doesn't take place in the quest phase).

An effect that ignored non-enemy cards would be worded "Discard the top card of the encounter deck. Then, if that card is an enemy, reveal it and put it into play engaged with the defending player."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rsdockery wrote:
"Reveal" means that you trigger all "When Revealed" effects, then (for non-treacheries) add the card to the staging area. The only difference between Murzag's effect and the usual staging step is that Murzag makes enemies skip the staging area and engage you immediately (and, of course, that Murzag's effect doesn't take place in the quest phase).

An effect that ignored non-enemy cards would be worded "Discard the top card of the encounter deck. Then, if that card is an enemy, reveal it and put it into play engaged with the defending player."

So picking up a location in this instance (Murzag's forced effect) would add it to the staging area, correct ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JimBGG wrote:
rsdockery wrote:

So picking up a location in this instance (Murzag's forced effect) would add it to the staging area, correct ?

Yes. "Reveal" is shorthand for "reveal and add to the staging area". Treacheries have their "when revealed" effects triggered and are discarded. Locations and enemies have their "when revealed" effects triggered and are added to the staging area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Follow up.
Some quest (I believe Hunt for gollem is one of those) have a forced effect that add cards to the staging area when you quest successfully.
Do reveal effect that focus on questing characters still trigger then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
If the wording of the quest effect includes the word "reveal", the "when revealed" effects on the new cards must be resolved. And yes, characters are still committed to the quest at that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.