Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Thoughts on how to balance the Federation. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shrouded In Mystery
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most players will agree that the Feds are the most powerful faction at this point with their countless releases.

I was thinking of splitting them up for faction pure both for balance and so that newer players have don't have to go through an infinite library to come up with a build.

My first thought was to do pre-TNG as its own group since there are a lot of releases with the most recent wave. In this steup every ship class that was developed before the Enterprise-D counts as pre-TNG. TNG+ keeps the big ships and crew but pre-TNG gets quite a bit with all those excelsiors, the constellations, even the Pegasus, and strong TOS crew so they should be okay (plus they get the Bounty). Don't forget that in this example crew like Hood Riker and Stargazer Picard are pre-TNG. Other options would be to go by quadrant or by show, but those don't really seem practical. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That might actually limit the post TNG ships a bit too much. Sure there have been a few good releases, but the majority of the good upgrades come from the pre-TNG stuff. It will be interesting to see how it actually breaks down, but that was my first though just from looking at your idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
"Ahh! The aroma of several adventure games emanates from your person."
badge
"Save early, save often."
mbmbmbmbmb
Kinda makes for an interesting underlying theme: They didn't have as good of ships back then, but then they learned to make do with what they had. True Scotty innovation, yes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so long as you keep your opposition at least somewhat pre-TNG too (Borg or Species will tear those old ships apart despite your crew).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The game isn't really set up for era play. In fact, WK has continually reminded us that it isn't even really set up properly for faction pure play. There are innumerable cards whose sole purpose is to break faction, just to nail that point home. To me, being pretty pure'ish in faction is key to My enjoying the game -- to aid in the immersion and raise the stakes of the outcome.

I guess the point is though that the factions aren't balanced properly (as you point out) and each era isn't given sufficient good cards to make that a viable concept. Sure you could have a smart player who might manage to win, even if disadvantaged and have plenty of fun, but you're just going to make two more unbalanced factions who won't function well without the other pieces. You might as well pick apart the Klingons or the Romulans or the Dominion. All you're going to do is to create more untenable factions.

If you're players like the idea though, might as well try it. To me though it's like those games where you create the worst build possible and make your opponent play it. Fun for a single event, but probably not viable for the long term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
TMP and earlier matches work out well enough and let some other factions step up.

Breaking Fed into pre-TNG and TNG+ is a new thought to me. I would need to think on it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another way of looking at this is to get out your cards and ask yourself how YOU would design STAW if your primary goal was to make every faction a reasonably even match for every other faction. Presumably your SECONDARY goal would be thematic cards. I think most will agree that that was not the way WK approached the game.

What I DO think is possible is doing thematic (even era specific) builds for multiple factions in concert such that both sides are building together and trying to come up with even matched sides. This is essentially similar to what WK does when they're creating card missions. One way to enforce this is to require each of the two players to play both sides. In other words you play 2 games playing each side once.

Nothing makes you pay careful attention to play balance as much as knowing you will eventually be having to face both builds from the other side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is an ok idea if you are playing a campaign or an era specific match up. However you would have to do it for Klingons and Romulans as well. It doesn't make a lot of sense for the random pick up game. New players are going to be overwhelmed no matter what you do.

If your goal is to make it as easy as possible for noobs just make up a couple well balanced fleets for each faction. Have them ready to go and just ask them if they want Federation, Klingon, Romulan, or Dominion. Once they get the game down running the same fleet for a while then introduce them to the rest and let them change up by trial and error (slowly). Other wise you could end up confusing them more hopping back and forth between time lines.

A lot of us that have been in since the beginning learned with just the starter set and Wave 0. There were not a lot of options then. So you could start them there if you wanted, Starter + wave 0 is a pretty mixed bag with some flexibility and obviously works because a lot of folks have stuck with the game since.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
You might as well pick apart the Klingons or the Romulans or the Dominion.

I'm counting about 30 unique ships for the Federation, vs. 20 Klingons, 20 Romulans, and 14 Dominion. So cutting the Federation card pool in half might put them at a slight disadvantage against the Klingons and Romulans, but they would still be better off than the Dominion.

I'm hardly a fan of faction-pure play, and I do have most or all of the Federation releases. But doesn't having half again as many options as the next biggest faction seem like a bit of an advantage to you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shrouded In Mystery
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback.

I do like the idea of pre-built fleets for new players, or maybe even pre-built ships at different 10 point intervals for mixing.

It would be nice if the other factions just had more ships, but I understand since the Federation are the protagonists. It just bugs me that they also tend to have the best average quality and usability of cards (not that the other sides don't have good cards too - they just seem less common).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One trouble you'll have is it takes a LOT of experience to recognize whether a couple of builds are balanced. And even then, skill at playing them can turn a great build into a loser or even the reverse.

So you're going to have a little trial and error with some constant retuning as your players learn the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.