Glorantha: The Gods War» Forums » Variants

Subject: Using the Gloranthan map in Cthulhu wars rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
I was thinking of using the Glorantha map for Cthulhu wars as an extra map. That way owning both games makes more sense (like how Sandy promised us rules for using Gloranthan monsters in Cthulhu wars).

I'm thinking of just using the map with Cthulhu wars rules and factions, so no Gods wars rules mixed in at all.

- Use the Magastas pool as a normal sea area.
- I counted that CW map has (5 players) 21 areas where 6 are sea areas and the rest are land).
- 5 player glorantha map: Use the Magastas pool as normal sea area. Do not use skydome, moon or hell areas. You cannot move from left side of map to right side of map in any way. This gives (5 player) Gloranthan map 21 areas of which 5 are sea areas.
- No shipping routes in use, i.e. must move to sea area first to cross it.
Now the factions:
- Yellow king: needs a starting area (Teshnos?) and 3 sets of 3 areas to burn for the spell books. (Northeast: Kralorela, Vithela, Gates of dawn. West: Brithos, Luathela, Slon. And South: Artmal empire, Elf jungle, Umathela)
- Sleeper: Needs starting area (Brithos?)
- Ithaqua: Needs 2 starting areas: Altinela and Enmal mountains.
- Black goat: Needs starting area: Teleos?
- Cthulhu: Needs starting area: Brown sea? Since there are only 5 sea areas, this might hamper Cthulhu? Not sure.
- Nyarly can start wherever he wants.
- Crawling chaos needs starting area: Gates of dawn?
- Tcho-Tcho: I don’t know their starting area in CW, so…?
Maybe this will be enough to use Glorantha in Cthulhu wars?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'd lose a lot of what makes the map special by not using the sideboards and Magasta's Pool. The odd movements it allows are part of the charm, surely?

Dunno if I'd keep the "get out of hell" rules or not.

As for start areas:

Yellow Sign Kralorela.
Cthulhu Brown Sea.
Black Goat Artmal Empire.
Chaos Kylerela.
WindWalker Altinela and Enmal.
Sleeper Hell.
Opener wherever he wants...

Yes, I have reasons for all these.

Yellow Sign glyphs I'd go with Genertela/West Islands, Pamaltela/East Islands, and Sky/Hell as the three groups.

This does give more space than normal in Cthulhu Wars, so may want to play on a map one size down from "normal". i.e. Use 3 player map for 4 players.

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
If skydome is in the game, Windwalker has really easy walk from Enmal to Altinela, though.

Maybe WW cannot enter Skydome/Moon until there has been a gate in both Altinela and Enmal? After that he can move to sky/moon normally too.

I removed hell and sky/moon because area counts, but I guess a bit bigger map area won't affect the game too bad. Maybe block some of the areas with monsters (Sandy gives us rules for those)?

Are you suggesting using the Spike/chaos/whirlpool rules in CW game too?

Your starting areas are good too.

Looks like I forgot the floating island! blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Andriot
France
flag msg tools
For using the Glorantha map with Cthulhu Wars I'd say its kind of the same circumstances as regular Cthulhu Wars: The Hero Wars happened but it ended up destroying most of humanity and the natives gods. And now the Great Old Ones have found a way into the broken shell of Glorantha.

Glorantha is crumbling without its Gods and the Great Old Ones are making it worse. The first time a player perform the anihilation ritual the last strands of power holding the Chaos rift sealed disappear. Place the Chaos Rift on magasta's pool.

Once the rift is in play:
-Uncontrolled gates no longer grant any power has their energy is drained into the void.
-During the doom phase each player must put one of their unit on the board in the rift. During the power phase put all units on the rift back to their controller pool.
-Units in the Rift can't declare any action or use special abilities.
-The Rift is an area and units can be pained into it !

Other consideration:
Don't use Kylerela, it does not work well with CW movement rules and has disapeared from Glorantha a long time ago now.
The Enmal moutains are the hottest place on the surface world. Not a fitting place for Wind Walker. He could start on the moon however. Its cold and drafty up there now that the gods are dead. With a unique starting position in the sky he would not need another one ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
All of that sounds great. I like the backround story.

Windwalker needs 2 starting locations as getting 1 spellbook is tied to the another location getting a gate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking more, I quite like Moon and one of the Hells as WindWalker starting locations. Personally, I'm not convinced that the spike/rift/pool mechanic adds enough to Cthulhu Wars to be worth bothering. (It adds loads to Gods War, though!)

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Dale
msg tools
If the map is being used for a game of Cthulhu Wars rather than a game of Gods War with Cthulhu Wars factions, I don't think that the Spike /Chaos Rift mechanic should be used (unless it is being used for a custom scenario like Decarcassor's). I think not having Kylerela and having Magasta's Pool present from beginning to end makes the most sense (unless some variant is being played), in which case I would still have it lead to Hell.

Here's one way to set up the board:

1) Great Cthulhu gets to choose one of the four oceans as its starting-location, unless the Gods War faction Storm is in the game in which case Great Cthulhu starts in the Banthe Ocean.

2) Black Goat, Crawling Chaos, Sleeper, and Yellow Sign each in alphabetical order get to choose a land area exactly two spaces away from all previously chosen starting-locations. The space between two factions can be either a land or an ocean space.

3) Gods War factions, if present, place Shrines and units in their usual starting-locations, except Storm which, because Kylerela is not available, places a Shrine in the Togaro Ocean instead.

4) Windwalker gets to choose either Inner Hell or the Skydome as a starting-location. (Outer Hell and the Moon are reserved for the Gods War factions Darkness and Moon respectively; Sky has the Sun God in Inner Hell, but he just respawns in Hell if killed anyway.)

5) The Tcho-Tchos get to choose a starting-location; this must not be an area in the Skydome or Hell (or the Spike, if it is being used).

6) Opener of the Way gets to choose a starting-location in any remaining area where another player does not already have units.

Yellow Sign receives a spell-book for Desecrating a land area, an area in the Skydome, and an area in Hell, one per glyph requirement.

The Hell rules could be optional, but here is how I would modify them for Cthulhu Wars; there are two ways to leave Hell:

1) Pay 1 Doom Point to move a unit out of Hell without Permission (just like you pay 1 Victory Point in Gods War) but this only affects the one unit so any additional units which wish to move at the same time must leave with Permission. This rule assumes Magasta's Pool is in the game.

2) If an ability or spell-book allows one or more units to "teleport" (like 'Search and Destroy', 'He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named' 'Shriek of the Byakhee', and 'Necrophagy'), then they may leave Hell without Permission using this ability or spell-book.

3) Receive Permission from ones own unit or the unit of another faction that has a higher Combat rating than the units leaving. The faction leaving Hell does not need to pay any additional Power beyond the amount needed to move its units (movement still follows Cthulhu Wars rules), but the unit granting Permission must stay in Hell when giving Permission unless it is utilizing method 1 or 2 to leave. If a unit is granting Permission to a different faction's units to leave, the player whose unit is granting Permission must wait until her or his own turn to move the unit out of Hell, which must be done using one of these three stated methods.

Byakhee and Undead in the same area use their combined Combat ranking when granting or receiving Permission. For example, two Byakhee (which have 3 Combat together) could grant Permission to a Hunting-Horror (Combat 2) to leave Hell. Likewise, the King in Yellow may leave Hell using 'Screaming Dead' with an entourage of two or more Undead (which together have a Combat of 1 or more) because the ability 'Screaming Dead' according to Sandy is not a modification of the Movement action so the Undead can grant Permission to the King and also leave with him for free; however, two Undead would be unable to leave by themselves because they would have equal Combat (1 Combat) to that of the two remaining Undead unless another kind of unit with a higher Combat granted them Permission.

In any case, the units exiting Hell move to the Gates of Dawn. Also, these Hell rules assume that units move like in Cthulhu Wars. If units move like in Gods War, then the normal Hell rules should apply instead.

So what do you all think? ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus Appel
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think the Chaos Rift Struggle is an important and fun part of The Gods War and should not simply be dropped. Here is my suggestion for it:

Catastrophe is a neutral spellbook which any player may take instead of one of his faction spellbooks. It does the following:

* You do not lose Units to the Chaos Rift.
* In each Doom Phase where the Chaos Rift is open, you gain one Elder Sign.
* In the Chaos Rift Struggle, you add your die to the strength of the Rift.
* In each Gather Power Phase where the Chaos Rift is closed, you lose 1 Power.

Other than that, the Chaos Rift works as in Gods War: The Spike shatters when someone reaches 10 Doom; everyone must lose a Unit to the Rift each Doom Phase, etc.

If you take the Catastrophe spellbook when the Rift is already open and you already have Units in the Rift, you do not get those Units back (until the Rift closes). You should have thought of that earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Dale
msg tools
SpectrumDT wrote:
I think the Chaos Rift Struggle is an important and fun part of The Gods War and should not simply be dropped.

You're suggestion is very good, Claus! ^_^

Even so, I think if people want to play with Cthulhu Wars factions and the Gods War mechanics it would be easiest to play a game of Gods War with only Cthulhu Wars factions rather than a game of Cthulhu Wars. Depending upon the variant of play, one could even include Empire of Chaos as a player and have it be the only player unaffected by the Chaos Rift, which seems easier than creating a custom spell-book, but your Catastrophe spell-book allows for more possibilities for those who don't mind making their own spell-book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus Appel
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
PhilyFooFighter wrote:
SpectrumDT wrote:
I think the Chaos Rift Struggle is an important and fun part of The Gods War and should not simply be dropped.

You're suggestion is very good, Claus! ^_^

Even so, I think if people want to play with Cthulhu Wars factions and the Gods War mechanics it would be easiest to play a game of Gods War with only Cthulhu Wars factions rather than a game of Cthulhu Wars. Depending upon the variant of play, one could even include Empire of Chaos as a player and have it be the only player unaffected by the Chaos Rift, which seems easier than creating a custom spell-book, but your Catastrophe spell-book allows for more possibilities for those who don't mind making their own spell-book.

If you have Gods War you shouldn't need to make your own spellbook. You can just use the one that Chaos has. This is pretty much it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.