Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Lett
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everybody. I'm pretty new to the whole euro game scene, but I've been reading a lot of reviews on this site. I've played a few things with my friends and I'm trying to build up my own collection. Here's where I need help. The only games I have are Shear Panic and Dos Rios. I will probably get Carcassonne pretty soon. I have a lot of friends that own Settlers of Catan, so I don't feel an urgent need to buy a copy. I'm looking for some games that I could play 2 players with my wife, or with more people once in a while. I don't want anything extremely complicated or my wife won't want to play. Here are a few I was considering:

Pillars of the Earth
- I liked the concept of Caylus, but this one seemed more friendly.

Reef Encounter
- This one seems to get reviewed as a tough/heavy game. I really like the theme and I think we can handle it. Pros? Cons?

Tikal
- I like Carcassonne a lot. This seemes similar and I like the theme.

Those are my top picks to start my collection with. I want to build a well rounded collection eventually, so any recommendations are welcome. Some other random games that looked interesting:

El Grande
Princes of Florence
Die Handler
Roads and Boats
Pirate's Cove
Ticket to Ride
On the Underground
Modern Art

If you feel like ranking them, that's good too. I appreciate the help and I look forward to offering my own input eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne: The Castle
I would sugest Carcasonne - the Castle.

It's easy, it's for two players and you like Carcasonne.

(Although plain Carcasonne is playable with two so...)

Pilars of the Earth is rather heavy what I have seen. I haven't played it yet. But last time I saw it played it went for 3+ hours I think it was.

Mr. Jack is a nice two player game I feel, but then it is a bit about the ones you play with.

Taluva usaly seems to work with Carcasonne fans.

Well hope this was some help.

(But in the time it took me to write this, someone else probably posted better advice)

Come to think off it, you might like Aqua Romana too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love El Grande, but it doesn't play that well with two. Other area control games that you might look at are:

Blue Moon City
Samurai
Torres
Thurn and Taxis

These are all fairly easy games to get into (although Torres is a bit dry for some), so would make good games to introduce to non-gamers.

Pirates Cove is also pretty bad with two - in fact I think it needs the full 5 players to be any good. I'm trying to come up with good "chrome" games that play well with 2 and I'm coming up empty at the moment. Ones that play well with three or more, though are:

Evo
Cleopatra and the Society of Architects

Finally, a couple generally good abstract games that play well with 2 or more:

Ingenious
Blokus

Good luck, and enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mendon Dornbrook
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't recommend Samurai enough. It's easy to learn (just remember to say, those are 1s not 7s) and it's pretty much self-explanatory. Then, the game becomes increasingly more interesting as you go. And, if you add another player or two, the dynamics but not the rules of play change considerably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pillars -> ok

Carc Castle -> also seems good suggestion

I also agree with the suggestions for an abstract: Ingenious

And to save some money (for now):
Consider Razzia instead of Modern Art. Razzia is the cheap Ra alternative.
Why not consider San Juan OR Citadels relatively cheap, quick, also enjoyable with two, and nice to find out what you and your playing partner(s) like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt & Laurel
United Kingdom
Harrogate
flag msg tools
mb
artfuldodgr42 wrote:
Reef Encounter
- This one seems to get reviewed as a tough/heavy game. I really like the theme and I think we can handle it. Pros? Cons?

I wouldn't touch Reef Encounter if I were you. I bought the game on the strength of various reviews and because I too liked the theme. Unfortunately I was unable to find out whether the actual game played well as the rulebook was indecipherable.

Most of the Carcassonne series will probably suit your needs, but Carcassonne - The Castle and Carcassonne - The City are two that my girlfriend and I play regularly.

Alhambra is an excellent game and works well with two players.

I would also recommend the Kosmos 2-player series of games. Obviously they are only for two players, but there are some excellent (and fairly straightforward) games, including:

Lost Cities
Jambo
Balloon Cup
Odin's Ravens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Matt,
I'll show you how to play Reef Encounter at Beyond Monopoly! if you like. I really enjoy the game, but I agree the rules set makes it seem hard. You've got to read the rules out of order: start with the beginning, skip right to the end, then go to the middle. It's really not that hard a game and is pretty good fun when you get the idea.

Steven,

Taluva has gone down very well at BM!, I really like it. Through The Desert is always popular and hard to beat in my view. Currently, my favourite is Dieb von Bagdad. I also like Terra Nova, but I keep losing terribly. Still enjoy it, but I can't quite read the game the same as other games.

Hey! That's My Fish is a big hit too, everybody likes it and it's very quick.

Cheers,
Jon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
I most add that Samurai is a good 2 player game to. (and three, and four. That's why I didn't mentioned it, before today I never played it two player. But it's great, and when you learn it's quite quick to (todays session with setting up and returning to box and all took 15 minutes)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt & Laurel
United Kingdom
Harrogate
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Jon,
Unfortunately I sold my copy of Reef Encounter as Laurel and I got sick of trawling through the rules and getting nowhere. You can show us how to play Taluva next time we're over at Beyond Monopoly! though.

Steven,
I can second that Dieb von Bagdad is a great game and it's one that my girlfriend keeps bugging me to buy. Hey! That's My Fish is a lot of fun and plays in about 5 minutes. You might also enjoy The Penguin Ultimatum, which seems simple, but is actually quite fiendish (I cannot win this game to save my life).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Lett
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.