Subject: Countering 'Tripoli/El Ageheila or bust' rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Ward
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
The 'Tripoli or bust' strategy is the use of OPS by the Allies to race across North Africa, break El Agheila (usually on turn 2) with the Matildas card, and then push on to Tripoli (on turn 3). The first time it was used against me it came as a shock because I could not stop the Allies. However with more experience I have been able to counter it with reasonable success. No two games of SS are the same but the following tactics have hepled me in ftf and pbem games.

1) Take Halfaya. Even use Graziani to ensure you take it. If your opponent is going to use 'Tripoli or bust' then it is better to have -1 for Italian combat throughout the game than lose on turn 2. This also provides a useful 4OPS card for the rest of the game in Balbo. Try to hang on to Halfay until at least the start of turn 2. Keep sending in Italian divisions. They will die but in a good cause. Halfay is a choke point and the Allies have to break it to push on to El Agheila.

2) Threaten in East Africa. Your not going to take Khartoum (realistically) but the threat has to be countered. RD a IT armoured bg into East Africa as well if you get the chance.

3) Sometimes the Allies push too hard and leave gaps in their lines. Slip a unit behind and head for Port Said/Suez if you can or put Allied units OOS. They may not remain OOS for long but this is all about delay. An IT armoured bg is ideal for this. You have to slow the Allies up and stop them reaching El Agheila to play the Matilda card.

Once Rommel arives you have a chance. In a recent game my opponent reached El Agheila at the end of turn 2 and was ready to play Matildas on turn 3. However Rommel arived and was able to nip behind his forward units and put them OOS. Once they are OOS they suffer combat penalties and can not play combat cards. He was unable to get his forward units back in supply and ended up losing the 7th armoured division for good plus a couple of bg's to the replacement box.

Anyone else got any suggestions ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, I haven't played enough to see it done. But what I would say is that #2, threatening Khartoum w/AFR and pretending you have Egyptian Revolt seems like a must for every game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ward
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
I would also add that you should always play 'Invasion of Greece' as an event. If 'Balkan Campaign' turns up early in 1941 then things can swing your way very quickly. If you are under pressure it can be very difficult to play events as you are trying to keep your defense in tact so you need to give yourself the room to play key events like 'Invasion of Greece' and 'Reinforcements'. If under a lot of pressure I tend to not bother with any replacements on turn 1 and sometimes on turn 2. The key is to hold Halfaya until the end of turn 1. At the begining of turn 2 you can fall back using OPS to El Agheila and wait for Rommel on turn 3 plus a Panzer, Iraqi Revolt, Balkan Campaign if you are really lucky. If the Allies have pushed too hard then you can punish them but it does depend on the cards you get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ward
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
Also....feed the 'dot' units into Halfaya. Once they are dead they don't come back anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm not sure playing Invasion of Greece is really a choice at all in any game of SS for the Axis--the 2-3 Italian RPs that you could be giving up (or none, if you're play RPs early in 2nd turn) are nothing compared to eliminating *so* many Allied divisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wow, Tripoli on Turn 3; That's nuts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great thread and I agree w/Rob. Halfaya is key and trading Italians for time is critical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about a "clarification" that it doesn't apply to marsh spaces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's sort of what he's saying that he might like to have, but he is very, very understandably loathe to contradict what is printed on a game *card,* not just a rule... but I hope I'm not putting words in Mike's mouth.

I think I may try a solo game where I try the rush for Tripoli strategy so I can see how it goes. Right now I'm playing two games on ACTS on the allies and am playing pretty conservatively so I can't really try it out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ward
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
I have played 3 games so far against an opponent who likes to use 'Tripoli/El Agheila' or bust. The results are;

1st game - It caught me by suprise and he reached El Agheila. We started a new game although looking back I could have carried on.

2nd game - I was more prepared this time and managed to permanently eliminate the 7th Armoured that had pushed to hard in trying to reach El Agheila. We then had to abandon this game as we forgot to shuffle the deck before turn 3.

3rd game - This is ongoing and has reached turn 11. The allies were not able to push too hard in turns 1 and 2 because both Allied reinforcement cards were not in the initial draw. I am hanging on at the moment on 5VP's. Torch turned up early and I have lost Malta but still the Axis refuse to die.

I am not convinced yet about a house rule. I would like to play more games to see if I can repeatedly stop 'Tripoli/El Agheila' or bust. If I get the right cards I feel I can make the allies pay dearly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it goes without saying, but I think the Axis player MUST make his first play as an attack to kill the front line BG of the Allies, eliminating the threat of an armor attack on the subsequent action round.

I can't imagine any other play. Its OPS intensive...or else requires play of Graziani, but its unavoidable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.