Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
So firstly I'm still miffed just how long it took to work out what the Eaten Goblins track is even for (oh for some reference to it in the rules...), and that it's not even the nubmer of eaten goblins, but the Dragons stored of UNEATEN Goblins... WTF is it even called "Eaten Goblins"?!?!?

But anyway.

Presuming that I *am* right in that taking treasure and eating goblins works in EXACTLY the same way WRT moving sloth cubes, why is one a track and the other is keeping the token? There are tokens for each Goblin, so why aren't they just kept, like the treasure chests? Why is one mechanism done in two different ways??

Get rid of the confusing track, add 6 more goblin disks, job done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomi Mononen
Finland
Kuopio
Pohjois-Savo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it represents the dragons stomach. I think it's a usefull track

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tjolmir wrote:
For me it represents the dragons stomach. I think it's a usefull track

I finally found another thread where Patrick, I htink, said "think of it as goblins in the dragons mouth". That's all fine, well thematically very messy really, IF IT'S EXPLAINED ANYWHERE IN THE RULES! The track works, but is illogical to compared to the treasure mechanism. Seems apparent that both things were added late in development when someone would eat 6 goblins / collect 3 treasures in one turn, and then move 3 cubes on a track at once / get pissed that the extra ones were totally wasted. In a better designed game, in line with the theme, clearly neither should exist. Why is a dragon picking up treasure chests and returning them to the cave in the first place???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechanically, it's because if the Dragon kept Goblin disks then you'd need more than 12 of the disks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dthurston wrote:
Mechanically, it's because if the Dragon kept Goblin disks then you'd need more than 12 of the disks.
Fine by me, add a few disks - use a red one to be 5? Surely the improvement in design consistency is easily worth it? Then, like the cave, you'd have an area for stored treasure and stored Goblins. Make it a storeroom / pantry and you're laughing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Claw, Scratch, and Hiss powers all say to eat the Goblins that are scattered or killed. When you eat Goblins, you increase the eaten Goblins track equal to the number you've eaten. To remove a Hunger cube, you reduce that track by 2.

It uses a track because it's possible to eat a lot of Goblins in a short period of time, by hitting multiple tribes at once with Claw, eating a 4-population Tribe with Scratch, by using any of those powers multiple times within a single turn, or even by eating large numbers several turns in a row - faster than the track can be reduced.

Greed does not have a track because it's rare to ever pick up more than one treasure at a time. It usually only happens if you Swat a treasure into the same space as another and then move there, or if you reveal a treasure tile (using Flame) under a dark tile that already had a treasure sitting on top of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you sure it's not in the rules?

I have played the game with two different dragon players who both solely learnt the game from the rule sheet, and none of them had any trouble figuring out how the 'Eaten goblins' track works. Of course there should be a reference to it in the rules, but it is really pretty self-explanatory.

Edit: I like the track vs. keeping tokens; less messy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eating goblins is pretty messy, though. zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SuperBrian
United States
Ringwood
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
Are you sure it's not in the rules?

I have played the game with two different dragon players who both solely learnt the game from the rule sheet, and none of them had any trouble figuring out how the 'Eaten goblins' track works. Of course there should be a reference to it in the rules, but it is really pretty self-explanatory.

Edit: I like the track vs. keeping tokens; less messy.

I played solo dragon and completely misinterpreted this. Not to say it's not there, but I don't know if it's obvious. I thought that every two goblins you eat you get to remove a hunger token. Though in solo you don't encounter as many goblins so I never got all that many goblins in my belly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
briandickens wrote:
I played solo dragon and completely misinterpreted this. Not to say it's not there, but I don't know if it's obvious. I thought that every two goblins you eat you get to remove a hunger token.

That is correct.
Quote:
Though in solo you don't encounter as many goblins so I never got all that many goblins in my belly.

In solo you don't encounter any. That's why in solo you start with two hunger cubes already placed on the wakefulness track. You can use Slither to move the other hunger cubes to different sloth tracks if you want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SuperBrian
United States
Ringwood
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Quote:
Though in solo you don't encounter as many goblins so I never got all that many goblins in my belly.

In solo you don't encounter any. That's why in solo you start with two hunger cubes already placed on the wakefulness track. You can use Slither to move the other hunger cubes to different sloth tracks if you want to.

Damn. I need to make sure I read all of the rules. I missed the 2 cubes part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.