Hide
7 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules regarding t1 hex placement? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Juanito Burrito
msg tools
When I first started playing, my friend who taught me the game said that your t1 hex must connect to both your home world hex and the galactic core. Is this correct? Is it possible to explore the hex from the side, or by using wormhole generator/lyra shrine bonus, place the hex so that it does not connect to your home world hex or galactic core?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipsean4026 wrote:
When I first started playing, my friend who taught me the game said that your t1 hex must connect to both your home world hex and the galactic core. Is this correct? Is it possible to explore the hex from the side, or by using wormhole generator/lyra shrine bonus, place the hex so that it does not connect to your home world hex or galactic core?

That is incorrect. The only limitation is that you need to form at least one full wormhole connection to at least one space that you COULD legally explore from (Disc or ship present). There is no requirement to max out connections or to connect to any specific hex if there are multiple legal avenues into the hex.

The presence of a wormhole generator does NOT change this requirement.

Edit says: Woops, apparently the wormhole generator allows you to form a "half connection" for this purpose.

Check out Page 9 of the rules for all the info.
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/69496/eclipse-rulebook

Quote:
- the hex can be placed only to the spot that you explored
- the hex must be oriented so that at least one of the
Wormholes on the hex connects with a Wormhole on
one of the hexes where you have a disc or a Ship

Quote:
If you have the Wormhole Generator
Technology, you may place the hex
so that there is only a half Wormhole
connecting the placed hex and
the hex you Explored from.

Edit2: it is one of my standard tactics to not connect to the center. I tend to like to stay out of the free for all that that often devolves into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juanito Burrito
msg tools
Good to hear. I was a bit confused about whether or not it's legal to totally isolate oneself. I know what I'm doing next time I play Lyra

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's precisely how to play Lyra! Because of their early shine ability, they can turtle as much as they want and break out any time they wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipsean4026 wrote:
Good to hear. I was a bit confused about whether or not it's legal to totally isolate oneself. I know what I'm doing next time I play Lyra

The earliest they can have that ability is in turn 4 ... (only one shrine per Round, three shrines needed for an ability).

In most of my games just about all exploration is done by that time. So I would be very surprised if you can actually pull off isolating yourself completely.

The T1 Hexes usually have only one or two sides without a wormhole, so you remain very open to your two neighbors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juanito Burrito
msg tools
Fair enough. I don't think you could do it exept in a 2 or 3 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipsean4026 wrote:
Good to hear. I was a bit confused about whether or not it's legal to totally isolate oneself. I know what I'm doing next time I play Lyra :D

It is totally legal to isolate one's self. It is hard to do, but totally legal. The Planta, who are incidentally the ones who most *want* to isolate themselves are the ones who are most *capable* of isolating themselves (due to drawing and playing 2 hexes per explore action).

You can 100% explore a I hex as your first action and place it so it does not connect to the Galactic Center. But it is certainly possible that your neighbor will then aggressively try and connect to you through the II hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.