Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Bowden
Australia
Fountaindale
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The situation: Vercingetorix and a vast mob of warbands are in an area with an Aedui citadel and lone warband (I'm playing the Romans, all Gauls are bots).
Arverni have only 1 resource.
On their turn, they want to battle, since they are sitting there with a juicy citadel. It seems to me they can't be bothered ambushing, because they have the numbers to wipe out the Aedui. So they go to Entreat - but in so doing, spend the resource on getting the Aedui to join their cause. Now there is no money for the battle...

I must be doing something wrong... In the Aedui turn, they replaced their warband with a rally, and around we go again.

So maybe the Arverni do ambush? Even though the halving of losses won't matter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although an unlikely scenario, the citadel could resist the repeated Arveni attacks (if it succeeds all its die rolls), leading to the potential retreat of the lone warband. So indeed I think the Arveni bot would use ambush to prevent any potential retreat and ensure the citadel is taken out of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Pesmatzoglou
Greece
Agios Nikolaos - Anavyssos
Attiki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot answer for certain if your play was correct, but ...

I think that next time that will be the Arverni turn, since they will have 0 resources they will most probably raid, thus gather enough resources to then make both the entreat and battle on their following turn

PS: when looking for battle the Arverni count take into account the die roll i think, but still it is strange

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is in fact not that simple Nikos!
The Arveni will raid only if they can gather >2 resources, which is not always guaranteed (for example if a big group sits in one region and other regions have at most one hidden warband).
So strangely enough, in this situation the flowchart would lead the Arveni to pass (assuming no suitable event), gaining them 1 resource instead of 2. I think this is a situation where I would over-rule and go for raid anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Bowden
Australia
Fountaindale
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is indeed the case - there were other Arverni warbands out and about, but as they were all alone, they would not raid (can't reveal last hidden warband). Couldn't raid the Aedui as they had the citadel. That takes us to pass, earn 1 resource, and around we go again.

I think you are right - it is possible the citadel could hold out against the mass of rolls coming it's way,which means that yes, that warband could escape, so ambush does look logical.

Thanks for helping me thrash that out. I know that playing solo one can theoretically just make a decision, but I like to play as accurately as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note you could raid in that region, but you could not take resources from the Aedui.
We all have those moments when we are unsure what the bots should do. One suboptimal action here and there is not going to ruin your game, and then you can decide to over-rule when it does not feel right. Most important, enjoy the game and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Janssen
Germany
flag msg tools
I don't think you can do a special ability without a command in at least one region, see 4.1.
Therefore in this case you should pay for the battle command first and then can't pay for Entreat. I think that is similar to Devastate and March when you pay for the March Command before doing the Devastate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Bowden
Australia
Fountaindale
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, gentlemen.

Yes, of course the Arverni could do a general raid that doesn't target the Aedui (due to the citadel), netting them 2 resources and flipping two warbands. I was distracted by the presence of the other faction, and forgot the general raiding capacity.

As for just paying for the battle,if they only had the one resource, I'm not sure... the entreat action comes before the battle. When is payment made? When a battle is decided on, or when the battle actually takes place? If the former, then yes, they pay for that, have no resources for entreat and so do no special action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So strangely enough, in this situation the flowchart would lead the Arveni to pass (assuming no suitable event), gaining them 1 resource instead of 2.

Yes, but with the advantage of then being Eligible rather than Ineligible with the new Resource.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TimothyBowden wrote:
Thank you, gentlemen.

Yes, of course the Arverni could do a general raid that doesn't target the Aedui (due to the citadel), netting them 2 resources and flipping two warbands. I was distracted by the presence of the other faction, and forgot the general raiding capacity.

As for just paying for the battle,if they only had the one resource, I'm not sure... the entreat action comes before the battle. When is payment made? When a battle is decided on, or when the battle actually takes place? If the former, then yes, they pay for that, have no resources for entreat and so do no special action.

Pay for the Battle, then (if no Ambush) pause to Devastate or Entreat. (This is specified parenthetically in the ENTREAT section of 8.7.1 with regard to paying for March and could have been clearer with regard to Battle, sorry!). In the case of Arverni with just 1 Resource getting from Battle box to Entreat box, they would Battle but not add any Special, since 0 Resources would be left to Entreat. (Excursion: A Belgae player could give them Resources at that moment!)

Best, Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Pesmatzoglou
Greece
Agios Nikolaos - Anavyssos
Attiki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, so even though the entreat should be before battle, the Arverni bot does not take this and just battle? thanks Volko for clarifing this cause
it happened to me also

Arverni -with just 1 resource- are with their wb on Avaricum where two Aedui Wb and an Aedui citadel is. The Arverni have some 24 wb and all their other wb are spread on the map, one each region.

They will not ambush to battle (no need), they will not devastate and then to Entreat they have to spend a resource which leaves none.

In my case though then I could go to the event (if no battle was possible) which could be played, it had the Carnyx, but since they can battle, batlle will be
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Volko wrote:
Quote:
So strangely enough, in this situation the flowchart would lead the Arveni to pass (assuming no suitable event), gaining them 1 resource instead of 2.

Yes, but with the advantage of then being Eligible rather than Ineligible with the new Resource.

True Volko, thanks for pointing this out. A gain of 1 resource is probably not overcoming this advantage, indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.