GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,822 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Small World: River World» Forums » General

Subject: Assumptions, Questions, Speculations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Small World races from other sets are playable?

2. New Special Powers and/or Races in River World are playable in other versions of Small World?

3. Some races will need modded abilities for River World?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Components :
2 double-­sided game boards
12 pirate ships markers
1 caravel marker
11 event markers
Rule booklet

It doesn't look like there are any new powers/races, so I'd bet the map is to be used with the classic Small World tokens. I don't think Underground races will be playable.

I'd expect a few rule tweaks for the water-based races and powers, though, otherwise they seem quite powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, definitely from Small World and highly likely that from Underground as well, latter of which already includes rivers, so it's perfectly fine to transition. It will be just as clumsy as with base Small World though, since some areas have the same function, but different name.

2. There are none in Riverworld

3. Unlikely. It would surprise me if River World will not use similar ruleset to Underground, but this is not confirmed yet (though it fits the description in how quickly you can go over rivers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis de Vries
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
Ah, doctor, that aneasthetic is perfect!
mbmb
And of course: will there be a River World DE expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
United Kingdom
Stoke Gifford
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- As this is a Small World (as opposed to Underground) expansion, I expect all those races to work just fine. Underground races should also work using the same compatibility rules from before.
- It's safe to assume the river rules from Underground/Realms apply for movement across water regions; unless it introduces new rules specifically for this game.
- Leaders should still work. The necromancer expansion won't be compatible.

Outstanding questions for me are:
- Can I still incorporate Righteous Relics and Popular Places with this expansion? It's the one thing from Underground I really liked and that I often use with regular Small World.
- Will Tales & Legends still work, considering this introduces it's own events.

Things I wish were included:
- New rules for the Monsters from Underground for use in this and previous versions. Something that makes each of them unique.
- Official rules for the miscellaneous tokens from Realms
- Some new scenarios for Realms, maybe incorporating the Pirate Ships and/or Events from this new expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franck@DoW
France
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To help answer those questions, please note that the rules are now available on River World's web page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Franck!

Hmmm... a lot more tame than expected. Should make for some interesting games though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the rules, it sounds like any space next to a river section with a pirate gets -1 coins per turn. Looking at the boards, that is most of the spaces! This means the pirates are really a robot opponent that you need to kill first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyinsar -
Canada
Grande Prairie
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... I already have everything SW except for Underworld (& Tunnels) and Realms (and the Deluxe Edition). I've never even used the Tales & Legends deck. I like the simplicity of explaining the rules to new players and T&L, throwing in Underworld races, and this add just that little bit of extra load for new players. I'm not sure about this one yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skullfire wrote:
- It's safe to assume the river rules from Underground/Realms apply for movement across water regions; unless it introduces new rules specifically for this game.
- Leaders should still work. The necromancer expansion won't be compatible.

Outstanding questions for me are:
- Can I still incorporate Righteous Relics and Popular Places with this expansion? It's the one thing from Underground I really liked and that I often use with regular Small World.
- Will Tales & Legends still work, considering this introduces it's own events.

Reading through the rules, I would say
-yes
-yes
-yes
-yes, since these "events" just change how many pirates are on the board and how many people you need to take over river regions.

For me, it has now become the choice of selling realms and picking up this one since it has robots that really mean another opponent, which will be great in 2 player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boucher
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this game out? I tried to research on this and wasn't able to determine whether if it's already out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not yet. They will have it in Essen in a few weeks. They are targeting November in the US.

http://blog.daysofwonder.com/2016/08/30/set-sails-for-a-new-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boucher
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryan3740 wrote:
Not yet. They will have it in Essen in a few weeks. They are targeting November in the US.

http://blog.daysofwonder.com/2016/08/30/set-sails-for-a-new-...

Many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.