3 Posts

Heartland» Forums » Rules

Subject: Land tile scoring with 2 identical types? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gene Miller
msg tools
mb
This is one rule that is a bit hazy with our group. On page 6 of the English rulebook, on the uppermost left-hand corner it details this situation:
- Joining 2 separate wheat fields with a large land tile of wheat/wheat. It states that you would get 8 points (instead of 4 -scoring it twice).

It's a stretch for us to understand this logic but our best guess to the intent is that, during the placement, we are technically creating two regions at that moment by joining them together with a large tile. As such, you initiate scoring from each of the fields on the large tile you have just played.
To go a small step further, scoring basically originates from each of these fields (just played) in an outward direction to include the entire region...and in this specific case it would happen twice?

It's this stretch perhaps that's causing the confusion between lateral and literal thinking for our group. Hopefully it's made enough sense to get a clarification from some more seasoned players of this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, you score all connected fields in a region, and you can do this for each of the 2 sides of your tile. Since they are both the same, you can score the same region twice. And since the other half is part of that region, you score both of them twice as well.

You could also choose to score only half of the tile for 4 points and take 2 barn points instead.

In hindsight, I would take out the double tiles completely (I actually used one of my copies to replace the double tiles in my other ones), as this adds too much complexity for what it adds in variance, and it can also provide big point swings (some people like this, but I have since decided against it). So if the game ever gets a reprint, I will lobby for tiles with only 2 different fields on them.

As for now, though, you can still use them for DOUBLE POINTS!wow

shirtman wrote:
This is one rule that is a bit hazy with our group. On page 6 of the English rulebook, on the uppermost left-hand corner it details this situation:
- Joining 2 separate wheat fields with a large land tile of wheat/wheat. It states that you would get 8 points (instead of 4 -scoring it twice).

It's a stretch for us to understand this logic but our best guess to the intent is that, during the placement, we are technically creating two regions at that moment by joining them together with a large tile. As such, you initiate scoring from each of the fields on the large tile you have just played.
To go a small step further, scoring basically originates from each of these fields (just played) in an outward direction to include the entire region...and in this specific case it would happen twice?

It's this stretch perhaps that's causing the confusion between lateral and literal thinking for our group. Hopefully it's made enough sense to get a clarification from some more seasoned players of this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon van Oorschot
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The double bonus can be real swingy, but I like it. I like setting up for a huge point gain if I get a double tile and it is satisfying, when you pull it off. Also makes people cautious of making the big fields, everybody are taking advantage of.

But I´m alone with that view, as the people I have played with found it too random and lucky to get the right double tile at the right time.

By the way, I can't wait for Skyways Jeff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.