Popular Tags: [View All]
John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read quite a bit on the issues around production quality with the base and expansions.

I'm finally ready to bite the bullet and jump into this monster universe of MK:BG

My question is if I buy a base copy from a recent print run, and then buy the expansions from this or the next print run, am I likely to experience the card color and size issues as widely reported?

If I wait to buy, will the chances of getting a matching base + expansion set go up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blu_in_green wrote:
If I wait to buy, will the chances of getting a matching base + expansion set go up?

As seen with the newest expansion there always seem to be issues with these releases. The best way to deal with it is to just buy it and sleeve the cards. Different colour density on the card backs is really the only significant issue in terms of gameplay. I have a first edition base game, and all the expansions, and I don't think any two boxes have matching card backs. I purchased a bunch of sleeves with coloured backs (brown for cards that go in my deck, silver for silver units, gold for gold units), sleeved the game and now I don't have to worry about it.

Trust me it is easier than waiting for Wizkids to get it right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And as for me, I don't even sleeve them. Maybe I'm just kind of clueless, but I don't even notice the color differences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeved mine because of size differences that made it obvious where in the deck my LL upgraded basic was when I shuffled to start the game, for instance. I've carefully avoided looking systematically at any potential color differences, so at this point if I notice two cards are different shades, I don't even know for information I've just gained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify my question: Once an expansion has been on the market for a while, do the color/size issues get resolved?

I understand new expansion productions seem to have been the worst offenders, but lets say I just want Base + Lost Legion. Does buying one now and one in a year pose a greater risk than buying both together (or buying base from a store and an older version of Lost Legion)?

I really hate colored sleeves, so I want to do everything I can to get sets that have similar colored backs.

Thanks everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blu_in_green wrote:
Just to clarify my question: Once an expansion has been on the market for a while, do the color/size issues get resolved?

Given the fact that the card backs for cards that go in your deck have been the same since the beginning, but every single printing so far seems to have different colour saturation, I wouldn't hold my breath for this to change. You may be waiting a long time.

I hate coloured back sleeves as well, but I bit the bullet for this game (the only game I have used them for) and it has been totally worth it.

The game is awesome, I would highly recommend taking the plunge and just getting over the sleeving issue. Component issues aside, the gameplay is incredible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have transparent sleeves and I don't notice the difference, even with all the expansions. I also do not study the card backs of my deck when playing, as I have more important things on my mind (stupid dragon).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
blu_in_green wrote:

As seen with the newest expansion there always seem to be issues with these releases. The best way to deal with it is to just buy it and sleeve the cards. Different colour density on the card backs is really the only significant issue in terms of gameplay. I have a first edition base game, and all the expansions, and I don't think any two boxes have matching card backs. I purchased a bunch of sleeves with coloured backs (brown for cards that go in my deck, silver for silver units, gold for gold units), sleeved the game and now I don't have to worry about it.

Trust me it is easier than waiting for Wizkids to get it right

This
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
I'm in the same boat as you are. I got the latest Core print. I know WizKids just released a re-print of all the expansions, and I hope that because printing time of the latest core is about the same - both were printed in the same factory and therefore be similar. But it's a guess. If you'll pick the expansion any time soon (it will take me time as shipping to my country is an issue), let me know how it worked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.