Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was asked by a co-worker if there are any games that reasonably (and fun) support 25-30 players for his wife's birthday. It'll be mostly non-gamers.

He was thinking one of the big murder mystery parties. Found this link that may be interesting, so passed that on.

http://mymysteryparty.com/x-large-group-games-for-25-players...

I was thinking Werewolf, simple, interesting, expands high enough.

Even thought of breaking it down into smaller groups, and maybe work together in a bracket sort of way. Not really sure.

Just a quick search on tags for "large group" only turned up 3:
Two Rooms and a Boom(sounds fun)
Oriente(up to 12, so not quite enough)
Hollywood Lives

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two Rooms and a Boom is a much better version of Werewolf, in my mind. It reduces the number of players who are doing nothing throughout the game, and there's not so much reliance on the narrator, it's more of a negotiation game within the two rooms.

Party games aren't my thing, but when we play one, it's Two Rooms.

(I have heard good things about those mystery parties, though that seems like it would be a lot of work).

If you're thinking of breaking it into smaller groups, you could easily play Spyfall with that many people -- each round only supports 8 people but there are a bunch of decks in the box so you could easily have 7-8 games going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bishop
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two Rooms and a Boom has worked for youth groups and large party settings. It does take a round or two with a moderator before it clicks for non-gamers. Having no player elimination makes it a good choice for large parties.

I would suggest having some extra roles set aside and then the team that wins could choose the 1 or 2 (depending on balance) extra roles. By the way after the introductory rounds: the doctor and engineer become essential.

Of course on the other hand Werewolf is fun for large groups too.

So it comes down to the feel that you want:
Werewolf for paranoia, 2R2B for team building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, that more or less mirrors my thinking too.

So the contenders are 2R&B and Werewolf, will have to elevator pitch them and see what happens!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rolling America , multiple sets of ;Cities , Limes , or other multiplayer solitaire type games.

or try; Super Rock Paper Scissors , or http://www.icebreakers.ws/large-group/extreme-rock-paper-sci...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Last Banquet (up to 25)
Raise Your Goblets (probably has yet to be published) (only up to 12)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be very wary of Two Rooms and a Boom. In my, albeit limited, experience the game is not that fun. I found it to be a bunch of confused people standing around not knowing what to do next. It was lame.

I'd definitely recommend Werewolf. If you can find a recording of wolves howling to play in the background, that adds to the atmosphere.

Like I did:

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.