Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say she probably owes the drone owner compensation, but I also think she had a right to blow it away:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/08/65-year-old-woman...

A 20-gauge isn't what I would have used here, but from the article it's what she had (the .410 probably wouldn't have had the range).

Good shooting.

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If she had a right to blow it away why does she owe anyone compensation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rekinom
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The last line of the article is the best.

'“The man [Robert Duvall] is a national treasure and they should leave him the fuck alone,” she said.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

If you RTFA, it's quite clear that this is (apparently) a murky legal area.

Personally I think she had every right and wouldn't owe them a dime, but sadly I'm not dictator yet....

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Personally I think she had every right and wouldn't owe them a dime, but sadly I'm not dictator yet....

Ferret
My mistake when you said

Quote:
I'd say she probably owes the drone owner compensation

I assumed you were talking about what you thought. Thus I asked you why you thought this.

Now I realize me error.

Where exactly does the article says she will (probably) have to pay compensations, as far as I can tell it is not that clear cut?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rekinom wrote:
The last line of the article is the best.

'“The man [Robert Duvall] is a national treasure and they should leave him the fuck alone,” she said.'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. I don't know how close her neighbours live, but I can't help wondering if they get put in any danger when she fires into the air.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They got in thar fancy car...it was a Hun Dey or a Folks Wagon or somethin...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
einsteinidahosu wrote:
They got in thar fancy car...it was a Hun Dey or a Folks Wagon or somethin...
I know, but I was not going to say it.

Brought to you by Yeee HAwww and Hot Diggdy Dog!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
Hmm. I don't know how close her neighbours live, but I can't help wondering if they get put in any danger when she fires into the air.
As long as most of the pellets are absorbed or deflected by the drone they should be OK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Ferret
My mistake when you said

Quote:

I assumed you were talking about what you thought. Thus I asked you why you thought this.

Now I realize me error.

Where exactly does the article says she will (probably) have to pay compensations, as far as I can tell it is not that clear cut?

I can see the confusion....I was speaking if she's found liable.

As I said the law is apparently rather murky.....it'll be telling if the drone owners take it to court or not.

Looks like it was a pricey device though.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Duval hasn't done anything "drone worthy" in years. Were they buzzing for dick pics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Ferret
My mistake when you said

Quote:

Now I realize me error.

As I said the law is apparently rather murky.....it'll be telling if the drone owners take it to court or not.

Ferret
I think you secretly work for Clinton.

I think you molest cats sexually.

I think you are a small time Mukiknees battle horn smuggler.

Now the important part missing here is the words

", If it is found to be true".

Do you see how leaving those words out changes the tone of what is being written?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Ferret
My mistake when you said

Quote:

Now I realize me error.

Ferret

Do you see how leaving those words out changes the tone of what is being written?

I literally have no idea what you're on about. The words are there, but they don't really parse into actual English or 'Murican.

But you're a lib Brit, so Odin only knows.

In the meantime, you a fan of Doctor Who?

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Ferret
My mistake when you said

Quote:

Now I realize me error.

Ferret

I literally have no idea what you're on about. The words are there, but they don't really parse into actual English or 'Murican.

But you're a lib Brit, so Odin only knows.

In the meantime, you a fan of Doctor Who?

Ferret
Quote:
I'd say she probably owes the drone owner compensation, but I also think she had a right to blow it away:

Does not say

Quote:
If She is found guilty of illegal acts I'd say she probably owes the drone owner compensation, but I also think she had a right to blow it away:

One is about what is the situation is now, one is about what will be the situation if something else happens.

So not, the words are not there, they are absent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
aiabx wrote:
As long as most of the pellets are absorbed or deflected by the drone they should be OK.

I don't think "they were in no danger as long as I hit my target" is a sound defence against accusations of endangerment. If the next farm is a mile away, it's probably ok. If it's right on the other side of the pumpkin patch, maybe not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
I don't think "they were in no danger as long as I hit my target" is a sound defence against accusations of endangerment. If the next farm is a mile away, it's probably ok. If it's right on the other side of the pumpkin patch, maybe not.
Unfortunately, there isn't much enforcement in rural areas of weapons usage. My wife used to rent a house in New York that had a concrete deer statue in the front lawn, it was pock marked with bullet created holes and chips because hunters didn't really care that there was a house within 20 yards of it. She moved.

To be fair, the number of accidentally shootings in rural areas that are from neighbors is far less than hunters shooting each other or gun owners shooting themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite part of the article is the correction at the end about the type of gun used. You know that they were flooded.... FLOODED.... with e-mails from the "An AR-15 is not an assault weapon and if you knew anything about guns..." crowd. Because these details Matter-with-a-capital-M.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
GameCrossing wrote:
My favorite part of the article is the correction at the end about the type of gun used. You know that they were flooded.... FLOODED.... with e-mails from the "An AR-15 is not an assault weapon and if you knew anything about guns..." crowd. Because these details Matter-with-a-capital-M.

Matters like in: It was a wagon and not a SUV that killed your kid?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
bjlillo wrote:
aiabx wrote:

Not from a shotgun.

Now, now, one of those pellets might land on your head on its downward trajectory.

I love the line about she gets home from Sunday church and the FIRST thing she does is clean her shotguns. That's a Southern country lady!

Personally, I think she ought to sue the owners of the drone for trespass and harassment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:

Might have...cite?

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

It's no different then if you were to post on BGG forums some factually incorrect item about a board game, watch the geeks fall over themselves to correct you. Every hobby has overly enthusiastic participants.

On this you and I can heartily agree....

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
aiabx wrote:

They aren't. Unlike bullets, whose danger can vary radically depending on firing trajectory, birdshot falling from the sky is light enough that it falls basically like very light hail. It is (unfortunately) a common occurrence around bird hunting spots on opening day to be occasionally showered with pellets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

It's no different then if you were to post on BGG forums some factually incorrect item about a board game, watch the geeks fall over themselves to correct you. Every hobby has overly enthusiastic participants.

But from what I've seen, there is a higher percentage of overly enthusiastic participants in the gun hobby than any other one I've seen. And I spend time on a site devoted to those who really get into their boardgaming.

Of course, I suppose that there may be some gun enthusiasts out there that I know but have no idea are gun enthusiasts. So maybe it's just my bias that is skewed by A) this forum and B) Sundays at church.

Or maybe I just need to get out more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:

Or maybe I just need to get out more.

Heh......

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.