Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, I never played the game, I only saw a video review, this is why I ask for advice.

I liked the idea of dungeon roll, where you go deeper in the dungeon as the game progress, but I found getting most points to be dull, I find the dice mechanics too simple and I would have preferred something like reach the 10th dungeon level to win.

When I took a look at dungeon dice, I found the dice really cool, and I thought that could be THE dungeon crawler dice game, but it seems much more similar to Munchkin and getting 4 points of fame is also pretty dull.

---------------------------------------------------------

I want to design a solo variant for Dungeon Dice where you delve in deeper levels as you gain more power until you reach the final level (5 or 10), then beat maybe a special boss and finish the game.

Can it be done?

So I though of using the idea behind Dungeon roll where the level of the dungeon determines the number of monster dice you roll. But I don't think the game was design to face more than 1 monster at a time.

The only other solution I could see is that you have different pool of monster dice for each dungeon level that goes from weaker to stronger.

Now that I think about it, it might be harder than I though to implement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you check out this variant you won't be disappointed, it's legitimately great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure, it feels a lot scripted. Else thinking about Munchkin with epic level where you encounter 2 cards, I thought that I could use 2 pool of monster dice (weak and strong) and draw the following number of dice when delving into the dungeon levels:

lvl 1: 1 weak monster
lvl 2: 1 strong monster
lvl 3: 2 weak monster
lvl 4: 1 weak + 1 strong monster
lvl 5: 2 strong monsters.

Still the level of reward might need to be higher to compensate or use more basic dice like suggested in the variant you mentioned above.

Anyways, might require too much work to balance. I was looking for this game in a trade list, I might just skip it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
I am not sure, it feels a lot scripted.

If you don't have the game, not much you can do to see if you'd find it enjoyable, but while that solo game is scripted, it's a lot of fun, and easy to adjust the difficulty level.

The game itself is not as bad as you're suggesting in normal play. The Coliseum expansion bumps the fame up to 7, and it's an easy game to tune to adjust play length anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Monchoux
msg tools
Eric, try the card pnp. If you don't like the game, don't try to twist it so that it match your tastes. Look for another game.
The solo variant may be nice, but it asks you to own every single dice of the game, and involves quite a bit of setup (as you need to make a selection of dice four distinct times).
Your solo idea is nice, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Use the details from the official solo variant. Try this: fight green monsters first. When you think you're done, start fighting blue monsters, then red, then black, then a single yellow. Count the number of rounds, and make it a score. Try to beat that in further games.
Maybe I'll try that someday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.