Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I love Dominion, enough to have a game night once a month just for it. Although I want another deck builder, but preferably something different than Dominion.

I tried and loved the mechanics of ascension but can't get past the artwork.

I really really like Star Realms and I'll most likely get it but I hear that the cards feel super cheap.

As a kid I played CCG's and I like the head to head style but I'm not getting into another CCG ever.

thanks for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game, there's also Legendary Encounters: A Predator Deck Building Game
A Few Acres of Snow 2p only though
Thunderstone An attempt to retheme Dominion to something more tangible, don't think it stood the test of time as well though, there's also a recent fantasy coop deckbuilder: Mistfall
Arctic Scavengers

For a little variation
Roll for the Galaxy - dice building
Orléans, Hyperborea - cube in a bag building
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also maybe try Battalia?
Awesome game. It is based around deckbuilding mechanics but with a twist... You also build modular map out of cards you can buy, you hire heroes and move them around the board... For me this game has a feel of old Heroes of Might and Magic (PC game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get another Deck Builder. They are all ripoffs of Dominion and use the same mechanic which will get stale with slightly different rules and different themes.

Get a different type of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mdrog2 wrote:
Don't get another Deck Builder. They are all ripoffs of Dominion and use the same mechanic which will get stale with slightly different rules and different themes.

I believer that for someone who has entire game nights dedicated to Dominion even a simple reskin probably won't get too stale :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
misioooo wrote:
Also maybe try Battalia?
Awesome game. It is based around deckbuilding mechanics but with a twist... You also build modular map out of cards you can buy, you hire heroes and move them around the board... For me this game has a feel of old Heroes of Might and Magic (PC game).

A board game similar to HOMM? Count me in. 3 is the best right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
On of the best and often overlooked deckbuilders is Rune Age each player has their own cards to buy plus a common pool, there are different scenarios governed by events happening each turn and ranging from coop to full head on. And yes, there is a lot of combat. And some die rolling. There is only one but pretty essential expansion. I have at least 10 deckbuilders and this is the most original one. Or go for Legenedary encounters, Predator or Alien if you want more conservative mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Borghal wrote:
mdrog2 wrote:

I believer that for someone who has entire game nights dedicated to Dominion even a simple reskin probably won't get too stale :-)

Yeah, A reskin are fine. Although most deck builders are very different than Dominion. Most of them are also a lot easier than Dominion and I could dig that because I want more people playing Dominion but it is kind of a brain drain sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would recommend trying Friday. It's a solo game but it really hones your deck building skills! Even if you don't normally play solo games, if you think you're a good deck builder, try your hand at this game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you liked the mechanics of Ascension but not the artwork, then I strongly suggest DC Comics Deck-Building Game.

It keeps the single-deck, center row style of play, but the cards are easy to distinguish by type and the art is all from the comics. Superhero cards give each player a unique ability. Like Ascension, the first set is fairly basic, while later base sets and expansions add complexity.

If you enjoy confrontation, then I recommend Nightfall.

The chaining mechanism is very interactive, and the combat gets very bloody very fast. The horror theme may be a plus or minus depending on your taste - I enjoy the dark humor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kratochwill
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
I need to change this now that it's not football season.
badge
Almond crusted halibut, lemon crown, thin sliced radishes, parsley
mbmbmbmbmb
The Legendary system is fun. I've been playing Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game both solo and with my gaming group. The cooperative nature the group enjoyed, we had to interact and plan ahead in order to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Friday! Dang pirates!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexikon - would be very different

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary o
United States
Roseville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valley of the Kings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mdrog2 wrote:

As someone who looooves Dominion, I actually disagree - the mechanism is one of my favourites, despite having tried many different styles and mechanisms. If OP wants a new deckbuilder, go for it! Never hurts to try other mechanisms as well, but sometimes just the mechanism alone is fun enough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Borghal wrote:
Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game, there's also Legendary Encounters: A Predator Deck Building Game
Thunderstone An attempt to retheme Dominion to something more tangible, don't think it stood the test of time as well though, there's also a recent fantasy coop deckbuilder: Mistfall

+1 to the Alien version. Wait for Thunderstone 3rd edition. Not the game that fired Dominion for me, but one of the mass. Star Realms has a small enough pool of cards it is easy to sleeve. Trains(Rising Sun) is another that I rather enjoy and the expansion is more Dominion meets Ticket to Ride. Eminent Domain is another that's different in that you don't have to play your whole hand, and the deck building is really there for support for the lead/follow mechanism. Finally, Baseball Highlights: 2045. If the game plays as tight as my initial play was, this could be a stellar option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CalicoDave
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alexangiraffe wrote:
mdrog2 wrote:

As someone who looooves Dominion, I actually disagree - the mechanism is one of my favourites, despite having tried many different styles and mechanisms. If OP wants a new deckbuilder, go for it! Never hurts to try other mechanisms as well, but sometimes just the mechanism alone is fun enough!

As someone who hates Dominion I disagree also. While I don't like the deck builders that are basically "put your hand on the table, buy from the center row, discard whatever cards you didn't play" e.g. Dominion, Ascension and Star Realms. There are some that are quite different. I enjoy Nightfall quite a bit and also Zeppelin Attack!. These are more interactive/confrontational and cards can be kept between turns.

Also games like Concordia are a variation of pure deckbuilders and this is one of my favorite games.

Edit: oh, and I forgot about Baseball Highlights: 2045, that's a fun one, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
marcnelsonjr wrote:
If you liked the mechanics of Ascension but not the artwork, then I strongly suggest DC Comics Deck-Building Game.

It keeps the single-deck, center row style of play, but the cards are easy to distinguish by type and the art is all from the comics. Superhero cards give each player a unique ability. Like Ascension, the first set is fairly basic, while later base sets and expansions add complexity.

I'm glad he mentioned this, because I second DC Deck Builder.

That game is a lot of fun and approachable from veteran gamers as well as new gamers. The super hero theme is fun and something most people have some history with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So many fun games to look into!

Thanks Yall!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Winnowski
United States
Upper St Clair
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Trains

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Baseball Highlights

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peters
United States
Barberton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SoundCity wrote:
+1 for Baseball Highlights

+2

This became a huge favorite in my house.... Fast

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nathairday wrote:
As a kid I played CCG's and I like the head to head style but I'm not getting into another CCG ever.

thanks for the help!

Have you tried Millennium Blades? It may be just your thing...

Also, +3 for Baseball Highlights: 2045, it's my favorite deck builder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm scared of baseball highlights.

- Completionist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the Super Deluxe or whatever it is called version and it will give you a bunch of replay. From a little research, getting everything really isn't beneficial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.