Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for games that in the "thinky party game" genre. They need to be able to play around 8-10, but don't need to accommodate larger groups. I am not looking for things that are largely just social experiences like Two Rooms and a Boom. Preferably they would play in around the 30 minute time frame (can be longer), and require some sort of strategy or thinking, but are also fun so that more non-gamers can get into them.

A few parameters:
No Strictly Social Deduction games: I don't like Werewolf or Resistance or its many children. Deception: Murder in Hong Kong is better (and one I am considering), because there is more to go off of.

I already own Codenames and am looking for other options. My brother owns Tajemnicze Domostwo, which I assume someone will suggest, so I probably don't want to buy it. I used to own Wits & Wagers, and may come back to it, but I am looking for other options.

Team or Partnership games I really like, so this would be a plus

Games I am considering:
New Salem
Ladies & Gentlemen

Summary: A game that has some elements of a party game (8-10 players, a fun element) but still requires some thinking or strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Rolling America. Plays quickly and requires some thinking. It plays any number of players, the only limit being the number of sheets and pens/pencils available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Is "super-filler" an actual term now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

I've heard it before for games that are a little longer and a little heavier then a true filler. I'd consider a best of 3 game of Codenames a super-filler for instance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Formula D (1-lap, simple rules)

Shadow Hunters - This has social deduction elements, but is also a board game where you have special abilities, collect equipment, and attack other players. You are given hard information on other players' alliances by drawing and playing the green cards, so the ability to deceive (and see through deception) doesn't play as big a role as in something like Resistance or Werewolf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Camel Up and for more depth, length and player counts up to 10 Just toss in Camel Up: Supercup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll throw out Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition), though it may ping off your social deduction requirement. It's not true social deduction, but it has a lot of those elements (bluffing, etc.). There is some strategy, but mostly it's just a fun social game. It only plays to eight with the base game, but I think the expansions get it up to at least 9.

I know it's not a perfect fit, but may be something to think about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
Concept fits the bill nicely.

It is definitely a "thinky party game" and I've used it to introduce people into the gaming hobby.

Furthermore, there are plenty of competitive and none competitive variants that you can use to adjust the game to your play group. I'd give it a shot. it's truly a remarkable party game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
My go-to games when I have 8-10 people and at least some of them are non-gamers:

Slide 5

and

Tsuro

Slide 5 is fast, pretty easy to explain, you can play with some strategy, but you can also just give cards to a 2 year-old and they can play along as a random element. It plays up to 10 and gets better the more players you have.

Tsuro is also easy to teach. Plays up to 8. It comes across as a "thinky" game, but you don't actually have THAT many choices, so hopefully people can take their turns without taking too long. There is player elimination, but the game is short enough that it does not really matter.

It's hard to play that many people and keep a game relatively short, but both of these games do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McGee
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Click to view this user's profile.
badge
Uncertainty and Innovation
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Cadets: Dice Duel Plays 8 and is a team game. It's a real time die rolling game that requires teamwork. Its level of strategy is largely around how your team sets up the crew responsibilities and prioritizes things on the fly.

Formula D is great. It may run a little long if you do more than one lap. But one lap is perfectly fun for casual groups.

RoboRally plays up to 8 and may be something to consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aside from the others mentioned here, maybe Captain Sonar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paulwei wrote:
aside from the others mentioned here, maybe Captain Sonar?

I'm really interested in this one, but I think it is probably too complex if you have any non-gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Concept. If you like Wits and Waggers than this should be a good fit for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SoundCity wrote:
+1 for Concept. If you like Wits and Waggers than this should be a good fit for you.

I'm afraid of picking up concept without playing it, because I like competitive games, and this seems more like an activity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pack & Stack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

The only game I've previously heard it applied to is Race for the Galaxy due to it being filler length but have a lot of game crammed in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza - up to 7, trading, fairly easy to learn. If I was going away for a long weekend with 6 other people, we could only take one game and it couldn't be The Resistance then this would be my pick.

Tsuro - up to 8, not something I'd want to play frequently.

PitchCar or PitchCar Mini - dexterity (flicking) racing game. Plays up to 8 out of the box but I've heard of people combining two sets to play with more. I've not played this.

P.S. You have a type in your thread title - "part game"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.