Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Francois-Xavier Bocquet
Germany
Seeheim-Jugenheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit confused about this bit of the rules for the turn continuation:

"Initiative Switch Counterblow Removal: If the Initiative switches between players, then remove from the map all Counterblow markers."

I thought that the counterblow markers were to be used in the combat turn in which you played them, so there should be none left on the map by the time initiative switches, due to the initiative player cancelling the offensive and the non-initiative player spending 1SP to continue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
macfix wrote:
I'm a bit confused about this bit of the rules for the turn continuation:

"Initiative Switch Counterblow Removal: If the Initiative switches between players, then remove from the map all Counterblow markers."

I thought that the counterblow markers were to be used in the combat turn in which you played them, so there should be none left on the map by the time initiative switches, due to the initiative player cancelling the offensive and the non-initiative player spending 1SP to continue.

AHA! You haven't played the game yet, right? You can have some counterblows on the map when the turn is over, those put on the map because of a "CB" combat result.!

Check here:

Rule 13.6 (Combat Results), page 17, and also 13.6.5:

CB = Counterblow: Place a Counterblow marker on one
of the Phasing Player units’ hexes (only). The marker
is not removed during that side’s Marker/Unit Removal
Phase, but is instead resolved as usual during the other
side’s Combat Phase (i.e., during the next Player Turn;
see 13.6.5)
. The marker can be taken from the Used
Marker box or the unused ones—owner’s choice.

Player Turns can begin with some Counterblow markers
already in place, meaning that either
:
A) Those enemy units must be attacked if friendly units
remain adjacent to them during the Combat Phase; or
B) Those friendly units will have to move away during
their Movement Phase to avoid those Battles (but if
those are enemy armor units, they will get a free Mechanized
Response move). This can be a big decision!

Also in the Example of play, page 16 of the Scenario booklet:

First, the Maletti and Mine units attack the 4th Tank
at 4:3 which is 1:1 Odds. The attacker’s and defender’s
Mech. unit bonuses cancel each other out. Note that the
Mine can attack despite its white Combat Strength, as this
is a mandatory battle caused by a Counterblow (see 13.6.5).
The Allied player decides to play Event card #27, British
Royal Artillery, which gives him a +6 Combat Strength
in this battle, but the Axis player counters with Event card
#6, Allied SNAFU, effectively canceling the Allied card.
A die roll of 4 produces a “CB” result, so a Counterblow
marker is put on the Phasing Maletti/Mine stack to be resolved
on the next Player Turn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois-Xavier Bocquet
Germany
Seeheim-Jugenheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply Carl. It looks like I did not read the rules thoroughly enough!
I was actually solo playing the first few turns of the first campaign to make sure all the rules made sense to me, before challenging my wife to a game tonight. So I hadn't rolled a CB result yet...and consequently I did not read that entry in the manual

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
macfix wrote:
So I hadn't rolled a CB result yet...and consequently I did not read that entry in the manual

heh heh heh.. Very cool. Good thing you asked first then! Lets you'd be caught "pants down" right in the middle of a battle.

Tank Commander: "Sir, it looks like we'll probably be attacked in a vulnerable position next turn!"

Brig-General Bocquet: *oh come on, that's impossible! I read the rules and..."

Tank Commander: "I assure you, Sir, that our advance units are indeed stuck with a big "Counterblow" marker on them, and it'll stay on until the enemy's turn's Combat Phase! as per rule 13.6"

Brig-General Bocquet: *Aw S--t...*

Tank Commander: "Indeed sir, war is hell. Care for a cup of tea before the Italians give us a mighty good drubbing?"

Brig-General Bocquet: *Buhuhuhu....*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois-Xavier Bocquet
Germany
Seeheim-Jugenheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I take offence due to the last sentence :shake: . After living in Britain for over 10 years, the only gentlemanly response as Brig-Gen. would be an imperceptible tremor of the upper lip!

Anyway, the outcome of operation Compass was a disaster for my Italians, they surrendered more quickly than I could retreat. I look forward to playing the longer scenarios as it looks impossible for the Italians to win in Operation Compass, which makes sense I guess.

On a side note, did you ever read "Les scorpions du desert" by Hugo Pratt. If not you might like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well in fact the Italians may win Operation Compass, I have seen it done and in fact somewhere in the forums of the game here on BGG I posted numerous set-ups and strategies for Mussolini's troops.

But in general, true, they'll lose. I can't remake history on that one. Those first few tuns are more there for completion's sake, also as an easy intro to the game, and to let the British player have some fun before Rommels comes in and whip them up... arrrh

"Scorpions du Désert" no I haven't "read" it, I'm not a huge fans for BD/Comics but I'll check it out for sure! I mean, it was made by Hugo Pratt! I lived in France over 5 years when I was young and "Corto Maltese" was my cup of tea, but I somehow missed that last series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.