$30.00
$15.00
Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
39 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Techno Bowl: Arcade Football Unplugged» Forums » General

Subject: Season simulation: Sign up to play games that "predict" the nfl games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I mentioned this as an idea for next year, but why not this year? Brent's got a bunch of playtesters that would be willing to play a game, I've got my papercraft copy ready for action, and I'm sure others will be interested. I'd be willing to do all the organizing on the geek, so long as Brent can get people to sign up to do games.

Anyone interested?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Cowboys player will need to break off a piece of their QB every game. It's Techno Bowl legacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha true.

But there won't be any specific "Cowboys player", at least not until online play happens. (Even then I wouldn't want to force anyone into online play)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Brent, want to kick this off (pun intended) with a TNF broadcast of Pandas v Bighorns?

So who wants what matchups?

I call Engines Pit Bulls
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Toenail21 wrote:
Hey Brent, want to kick this off (pun intended) with a TNF broadcast of Pandas v Bighorns?

I'll see what I can do. There will definitely be a game [or two] this week. I will, however, point out at this time that last years predictive game between the two teams was only 3 points off from the actual Super Bowl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pymont
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this idea but I'm not sure I can 'grok' the rules well enough from the existing playthrough and threads to really be able to play a game. I'd like a rulebook in front of me so I can reference things and make sure I'm doing it right at least my first 2-3 games.

Once the rules are out I'll definitely try to get some games with some fellow UK gridiron fans.

If that happens in the next 7-10 days, I'll take Sushi @ Tyrants, but if not I'll probably get involved after the kickstarter begins, so for week 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
NormandyWept wrote:
I'll take Sushi @ Tyrants

That's a fun match-up! The secondary of the TYRANTS is super tough to throw against and always makes for a tense game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Panthers
Broncos
Brent!

Vikings
Titans

Bears
Texans

Browns
Eagles

Bills
Ravens
Toenail21/NeedzmorDakka

Chargers
Chiefs

Raiders
Saints
Toenail21/NeedzmorDakka

Buccaneers
Falcons

Bengals
Jets
Toenail21/NeedzmorDakka

Packers
Jaguars
Toenail21/NeedzmorDakka

Dolphins
Seahawks
NormandyWept

Giants
Cowboys
NormandyWept

Lions
Colts
Toenail21/NeedzmorDakka

Patriots
Cardinals
Toenail21/NeedzmorDakka

Steelers
Redskins
Toenail21/NeedzmorDakka

Rams
49ers
Toenail21/NeedzmorDakka

I'll let people take their pick of the games they want, and I'll fill in the rest. Hopefully Brent will get us the full rules in time for the season (I think the KS is right after week 1, but maybe he could send it to anyone who signs up. Don't quote me on that). So come on everyone, pick your favorite team and let's play some football!!!

Feel free to sign up for multiple games, especially right now when we are building this league up from scratch. I could probably do four, maybe even 6-8 games including solo play (and Holden could do some solo as well), but don't expect me to do that every week! I need help!

[/b]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
voodooink wrote:
NormandyWept wrote:
I'll take Sushi @ Tyrants

That's a fun match-up! The secondary of the TYRANTS is super tough to throw against and always makes for a tense game.

I imagine! The Sushi are such a pure passing team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Brent, do you think that there should be an "official" format for this? If so, which one? I'm thinking 8 on8 field goals, but it's up to you. You know more about this than I do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Harstead
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is your paper craft copy based off of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the one I am using

NFL TEAMS PAPERCRAFT (takes a min to load)
or this one
NFL TEAMS PAPERCRAFT

Shrink em down to about 1 inch on the base and then cut em out. A bear to put together but quite solid once done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sevencer wrote:
What is your paper craft copy based off of?

Hand made!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to kick the season off this weekend, a week early. This is because we likely won't have many participants week 1. Expect a full-length session report (or four ) coming after Labor Day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might play tomorrow to celebrate College football. New player though, will be playing 7v7 no skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pymont
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I've missed: what is the team composition (outside of team preview impact/star/etc players)? Am I right in thinking every team has a total of one 3, two 4s, two 5s, two 6s and a 7? In 7 a side is there one of these which is specifically left out or is it player choice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Toenail21 wrote:
Hey Brent, do you think that there should be an "official" format for this? If so, which one? I'm thinking 8 on8 field goals, but it's up to you. You know more about this than I do!

For this season, I don't think you'll need an official format. I would just leave it up to the players, but I would probably recommend 7-vs-7 or 8-vs-8 without abilities to start. You could then add in abilities during the playoffs and for big game if you like. 7-vs-7 will produce more scoring and action where 8-vs-8 will make it more difficult to move the ball and blitz. It's really more about the experience you prefer.

If you get to the point were multiple people have to sign-up for the same game, I would just average the final scores for each team across multiple users.

People can even keep share post-game stats for rushing yards, passing yards, sacks, and safeties.

orabbi wrote:
This is the one I am using

NFL TEAMS PAPERCRAFT (takes a min to load)
or this one
NFL TEAMS PAPERCRAFT

Shrink em down to about 1 inch on the base and then cut em out. A bear to put together but quite solid once done.

Those are really cool!! Some MFL versions of those would be perfect. I might just have to contact that individual.

NormandyWept wrote:
One thing I've missed: what is the team composition (outside of team preview impact/star/etc players)? Am I right in thinking every team has a total of one 3, two 4s, two 5s, two 6s and a 7? In 7 a side is there one of these which is specifically left out or is it player choice?

You are correct. When playing 7-vs-7, every team has a #51, and that's the one that you remove. Makes it easy to remember!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what I've decided. The home team is allowed to pick if they want 7on7 or 8on8.

So take Ankhs vs. Reapers. Reapers are home, and would probably want 7 on 7 to make their saftey blitzes easier.

Edit: Okay technically the Ankhs are home. In that case they would want 8 on 8, to slow down Lock and Short, and to make their Pocket Passer less of a target.

You don't have to use skills, its up to the player. But I'm not stopping anyone either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Toenail21 wrote:
Here's what I've decided. The home team is allowed to pick if they want 7on7 or 8on8.

So take Ankhs vs. Reapers. Reapers are home, and would probably want 7 on 7 to make their saftey blitzes easier.

You don't have to use skills, its up to the player. But I'm not stopping anyone either.

Sounds good! I'll take the Panthers vs Bighorns game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
voodooink wrote:
Toenail21 wrote:

Sounds good! I'll take the Panthers vs Bighorns game.

Too bad I can't watch it live Thursday, but I'll definitely tune in Friday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a few days till the launch...

And I'm swamped at work or I'd be taking a few downs. Maybe the third week...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pymont
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm set to play Sushi v Tyrants this weekend. First game will be 7 vs 7 without skills, but I'm also excited to see how a passing offence goes up against a passing defence so may play again afterwards with skills, in particular this fearsome set on the Tyrants:

voodooink wrote:

#60 Ken Chance: zone defender
#66 Tom Earl: man defender
#77 Rex Surewin: zone defender, interceptor

Brent, is there any chance of a sneak preview of what the three skills Man Defender/Zone Defender/Interceptor do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
NormandyWept wrote:
Brent, is there any chance of a sneak preview of what the three skills Man Defender/Zone Defender/Interceptor do?

Consider it done!

ZONE DEFENDER
Zone defenders are considered as threatening any squares/players that are the target of pass that is within 3 spaces. Determining this distance is like all other measurements in the game. This creates a roughly circular area or cloud of coverage. Penalties from multiple zone defenders threatening the target of a throw do stack.

MAN DEFENDER
When a player with this ability is on defense and threatening a player by being in one of the eight squares that directly surrounds him, throws to the offensive player suffer a -3 penalty.

INTERCEPTOR
If this player is on defense and threatening the target of an unsuccessful throw and it is determined that the ball would scatter, instead of scattering the ball, the ball is placed on this player.

The player still has to make a sport check to see if the interception is a success
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
voodooink wrote:
NormandyWept wrote:

Consider it done!

ZONE DEFENDER
Zone defenders are considered as threatening any squares/players that are the target of pass that is within 3 spaces. Determining this distance is like all other measurements in the game. This creates a roughly circular area or cloud of coverage. Penalties from multiple zone defenders threatening the target of a throw do stack.

MAN DEFENDER
When a player with this ability is on defense and threatening a player by being in one of the eight squares that directly surrounds him, throws to the offensive player suffer a -3 penalty.

INTERCEPTOR
If this player is on defense and threatening the target of an unsuccessful throw and it is determined that the ball would scatter, instead of scattering the ball, the ball is placed on this player.

The player still has to make a sport check to see if the interception is a success

WOAH WOAH WOAH...

Interceptor allows a blitzer to intercept a pass thrown a long distance? Mind blown.

I'm stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I played six games, I'll probably get two to four more this weekend in between my playtester duties, so how many has everyone else got done (or going to get done)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.