Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: Must I buy or play an action every turn? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
Or can I just pass my turn without playing an action card or buying?

If so, 2 player game can go on forever as none of the piles will deplete?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Brandonboards wrote:

No, you don't have to play an action (as you may not have one) and you don't have to buy (as you may not have enough coin). But even if you do, you can pass.

Someone will buy something eventually. Otherwise why bother playing at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Boyle
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can just pass on your turn as you suggest. But while there are situations that this is the best decision for you, it hardly is a good plan on a regular basis. In theory yes, the game could go on forever if you both just draw 5 cards, do nothing, discard your hand and redraw, but I'm not sure to what end you would do such a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are allowed to pass and do nothing.
I can't see a situation where it would be a sensible strategy for both players, though, so getting stuck never happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You might choose to do nothing until all the Baths points (in Empires) have been claimed, but... probably making your deck better is better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Passing is not allowed as you discard your hand and draw 5 new cards even if you take no action or do not buy any cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandonboards wrote:

It'd be a lousy turn if you were forced to buy a Copper not having enough for a 3-cost card, or even 2-cost card.

Although not addressed rules-wise, you could take a page out of Chess and say that if the 3 of you repeat the same move 3 times in a row, then a stalemate can be called. On a similar note, the 2 of you probably should've been playing Chess instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everette Robertson
United States
Calhoun
KY
flag msg tools
mbmb
Most games can go on forever if all of the players are actively trying to make no progress--for example, Monopoly will never end if no one ever buys property,Chess can last for thousands of moves if people are careful not to repeat board states, etc. But that wouldn't be especially interesting for anyone involved.

In a few extremely rare cases, such as when neither player has any money and the Coppers and Curses--but not a third pile--have run out, Dominion can reach an impasse--in such cases the designer's tongue-in-cheek ruling is that play continues until one player starves to death.

As for Actions and Buys: During your Action phase, you can play up to one Action. You don't have to play any Actions. If you play a card that gives you more Actions to use, like Village or Festival, you don't have to use all of your available Actions, even if there are still some Action cards in your hand. (For example, you might not want to play a Smithy if it will trigger a reshuffle).

The same is true of Buys: you don't have to use any Buys.

The only thing you _have_ to do is discard your hand and draw a new hand (usually of 5 cards) during cleanup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soulblight
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can convince a third player to play suchly, the game can also go on forever. It doesn't have to be only the two of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Hay
United States
Owensboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
marcory wrote:
Monopoly will never end if no one ever buys property

Played entirely by the correct rules, Monopoly always advances to an end-state provided people actually take their turns (no just sitting around not rolling and moving). Any property landed on and not purchased is immediately put up for an auction that will go to someone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
marcory wrote:

In a few extremely rare cases, such as when neither player has any money and the Coppers and Curses--but not a third pile--have run out, Dominion can reach an impasse...

I had never considered this, but you make a good point- theoretically the game could reach a state like this. I suppose if both players purchased a Money Lender at the beginning of the game, then used it to deplete their Copper treasures and used their buys to purchase VPs or useless (in this scenario) action cards such as Smithies or Villages, yeah the game could devolve into a state where neither player is able to advance toward a victory condition.

But the scenario I just described would require either particularly boneheaded players, or players who deliberately wanted this to happen. Have you ever seen it happen in a game where the players were knowledgeable and playing in good faith?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
marcory wrote:

In a few extremely rare cases, such as when neither player has any money and the Coppers and Curses--but not a third pile--have run out, Dominion can reach an impasse...

I had never considered this, but you make a good point- theoretically the game could reach a state like this. I suppose if both players purchased a Money Lender at the beginning of the game, then used it to deplete their Copper treasures and used their buys to purchase VPs or useless (in this scenario) action cards such as Smithies or Villages, yeah the game could devolve into a state where neither player is able to advance toward a victory condition.

But the scenario I just described would require either particularly boneheaded players, or players who deliberately wanted this to happen. Have you ever seen it happen in a game where the players were knowledgeable and playing in good faith?

AFAIK, one plausible, good-faith scenario can be in Empires...
One player buys the Donate event to trash a whole mess of cards, and then takes on 8 Debt.

The other player does the same thing.

Both goof when they realize that they Trashed all of their Treasure cards, and have no other way generate coins. With Debt (tokens), they'll never be able to buy anything, but won't be able to pay off the Debt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jexhai wrote:
marcory wrote:
Monopoly will never end if no one ever buys property

Played entirely by the correct rules, Monopoly always advances to an end-state provided people actually take their turns (no just sitting around not rolling and moving). Any property landed on and not purchased is immediately put up for an auction that will go to someone.

Not if no-one bids...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.