Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a public service announcement: If you like reading discussions about Codex cards, but don't have the full text and details of every card perfectly memorised, then you might like to consider the browser extension Autocard Anywhere. It detects Codex cardnames anywhere on the web and turns them into hyperlinks which show you a nice mouseover preview of the card.

By default it applies everywhere, but you can whitelist or blacklist websites. By default it excludes dictionary words, but you can highlight text on a webpage and right-click "Autocard Anywhere lookup" to find cards like Porcupine; this also works when people misspell card names, so if someone accidentally writes "Sirius Quince" instead of "Sirus Quince" you can still ask AA to show you its best guess at the card!

I find it much easier to follow online discussions of card games like Codex and Magic: the Gathering with AA installed, and I thought you guys might appreciate it too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's awesome!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gonzalo GIlabert
Spain
madrid
madrid
flag msg tools
mbmb
alextfish wrote:
Just a public service announcement: If you like reading discussions about Codex cards, but don't have the full text and details of every card perfectly memorised, then you might like to consider the browser extension Autocard Anywhere. It detects Codex cardnames anywhere on the web and turns them into hyperlinks which show you a nice mouseover preview of the card.

By default it applies everywhere, but you can whitelist or blacklist websites. By default it excludes dictionary words, but you can highlight text on a webpage and right-click "Autocard Anywhere lookup" to find cards like Porcupine; this also works when people misspell card names, so if someone accidentally writes "Sirius Quince" instead of "Sirus Quince" you can still ask AA to show you its best guess at the card!

I find it much easier to follow online discussions of card games like Codex and Magic: the Gathering with AA installed, and I thought you guys might appreciate it too

thats so cool! but it doesnt work with all of the cards, and some of the codex cards, it thinks it is magic cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't get it to work for anything except Magic Cards, doesn't recognize Codex at all and the auto look up doesn't do anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll need to edit the extension settings to tick the checkboxes for whichever games you want it to detect.

gonzalo: Perhaps it's only finding cards that aren't just dictionary words? That's another option in the extension's settings. Go through the preferences and check, both the general app-wide preferences and the specific settings for Codex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alextfish wrote:
You'll need to edit the extension settings to tick the checkboxes for whichever games you want it to detect.

gonzalo: Perhaps it's only finding cards that aren't just dictionary words? That's another option in the extension's settings. Go through the preferences and check, both the general app-wide preferences and the specific settings for Codex.

Yeah I understand that, but my settings don't have Codex in the list of selectable games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gonzalo GIlabert
Spain
madrid
madrid
flag msg tools
mbmb
alextfish wrote:

maybe im being dense, but i cant find any settings anywhere!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
Yeah I understand that, but my settings don't have Codex in the list of selectable games.
Hmm. Not sure what the problem might be. Did you just freshly install it? Maybe check the version number displayed on the AA "About" page in Settings? It might be that your browser isn't auto-updating and you need to manually reinstall from autocardanywhere.com. That might be particularly likely if you're using Safari.

thechyper wrote:

For Chrome, you get to it by: Click the AutocardAnywhere icon at the top-right of your browser window (if it's hidden, click the hamburger ≡ icon first). Then click Options. Each game has a tickybox and an options menu (for Codex that's just "ignore dictionary words"), and there are also other tabs on the Options screen for app-wide settings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gonzalo GIlabert
Spain
madrid
madrid
flag msg tools
mbmb
alextfish wrote:
jmathias wrote:
Hmm. Not sure what the problem might be. Did you just freshly install it? Maybe check the version number displayed on the AA "About" page in Settings? It might be that your browser isn't auto-updating and you need to manually reinstall from autocardanywhere.com. That might be particularly likely if you're using Safari.

thechyper wrote:

For Chrome, you get to it by: Click the AutocardAnywhere icon at the top-right of your browser window (if it's hidden, click the hamburger ≡ icon first). Then click Options. Each game has a tickybox and an options menu (for Codex that's just "ignore dictionary words"), and there are also other tabs on the Options screen for app-wide settings.

oh! i didnt see the little icon, now it is working
thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niccolò Ricchio
Italy
flag msg tools
update it, mine has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's working really nicely so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.