Subject: M44 or HoN? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Tarr
United States
Norfolk
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I'm looking into both, but unsure which would be better in the long run.

I have 2 sons (9 & 11), that like to play boardgames with each other and with their mom and I. We currently play a lot of Dice City, King of Tokyo, Evolution, and so on.

I'm also a big miniatures war-gamer, 40k, Infinity, FoW, etc..

I want to start them into something like M44 or HoN since they like military themed stuff. I think the art of HoN would appeal to them more, but M44 has "minis"...

Any suggestions would be great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Yordy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had M44 for more than a year and just got HoN for my 9 yr old and I to play.

My recommendation would be M44 but that is based on little experience so far with HoN.

1. The rules are much clearer for M44 and you'll be playing much faster.
2. HoN has some action cards that can represent a big swing in the game, creating big heroic moves (hence the name of the game). While this can be fun, it can also be frustrating for little ones that see victory snatched away by one powerful card.
3. If it matters to you, M44 offers a short historical bio on all of the battles where as HoN is more Hollywood. So if your kids learning history is important then that would be another point in favor of M44.

I plan on keeping both in my collection, I just think M44 is a better starting point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both games. I introduced Memoir '44 to both children when they were about 8 years old. Years later, my high-school aged son will still play with me. The games are short enough, although he prefers other board games (and of course video games). I have tried HoN with him and he liked it, but he'd much rather play Memoir '44 as its less of a burden.

My daughter and wife will never play HoN. I can persuade them, maybe once a year, to play Memoir '44, but I have mercy and don't bother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven J
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is HoN?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OmegaRidleyXP wrote:
What is HoN?

Heroes of Normandie, I presume.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir 44 is one of the best board games in my personal collection for playing with my 10-y/o son and his friends. It is simple, extremely fun, highly adaptable and gives a huge history lesson every time they play - without them even knowing it.

You can't go wrong with this game. Only recommendation: Place historically accurate victory locations on your game maps and make taking or holding at least one of them a mandatory victory condition. Completely changes the game from a "kill fest" to a tactical (yet still very fun) challenge.

Only played HoN once and it is a whole different animal. More comic book, but also way more complex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tarr
United States
Norfolk
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Thanks for the replies.

Do you have a suggestion as far as the expansions go?

Either a personal favorite or maybe the next step in gameplay for the collection?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
TalonZahn wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

Either a personal favorite or maybe the next step in gameplay for the collection?

Pick a front/army you and your kids would be most interested in: Pacific, Mediterranean, Eastern front, or Winter Wars (Battle of the Bulge). The last three benefit from the Winter/Desert board, so that's an extra optional cost but it's also only cosmetic. I really enjoy the scenarios in WW, all the tank action in MT, and dealing with the Political Commissar rule in EF.

If that's successful then you're in for a penny, in for a pound. Get the Terrain Pack and another army. And then another army and another army. Then go big with Breakthrough (deeper maps) or Overlord (wider maps).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tarr
United States
Norfolk
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Killing time at work checking out prices on the web, and man they are all over the place. Nice to see Target sells the base game for cheap, EBay prices on some of the stuff is insane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Atkinson
United States
Grant
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TalonZahn wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

I prefer Pacific Theater myself, because I like how different the Japanese and the Marines play compared to Germans and Allies. Plus, you don't need to invest in the Winter/Desert board at all for this army pack.

Downside, there isn't much support beyond the Pacific Theater pack until the 2nd Campaign Book came out.

Going with Eastern Front will get you a lot more longevity out of the game given the rest of the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TalonZahn wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

Yes. pick what your WWII theatre your kids are interested in and get that expansion pack while you can! Winter-Desert board is a nice touch but you need other expansions to really make use of it.

Terrain Pack is usually affordable and is also a HUGE hit in our house - lets the kids build their own scenarios - has dams, lighthouses, bridges, radar stations, castles, etc. Kids love making up their own battlefields as much (or more) as playing scenarios so that has tripled our fun out of this game!

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon has all for decent prices (relative to market). They usually don't so might be your chance...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Mowery
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both. For what you're trying to acheive...M44, no question.

Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tarr
United States
Norfolk
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Well, I ended up getting both since Target had M44 for $36 free S&H and there was an opened, but everything inside unpunched/sealed, HoN on Ebay for $30 shipped.

I still think I will lean more towards M44 after watching the videos from Dice Tower.

I mean, you can't have too many boardgames right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald G
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just started with my grandkids this last summer vacation. With the 2 seven year old boys, I found it really helped them get into M44 by playing with the section cards only. If you leave out the tactical cards in the deck, there is a lot less reading and the point of each card is pretty apparent. Of course, with the 14 yr old the problem was keeping up with his desire to madly charge in all the time. That does not always get the best results. By the 3rd game, he was really getting serious. We all had a blast.

Have not played HoN, but suspect the quick-play approach of M44 really will work best with young-uns!

Have fun,

Don
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.