Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Jackowski
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am looking forward to this game, but I must ask: why can you only play on one half of Mars? Maybe an expansion would have the other half of Mars available??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csimian wrote:
I am looking forward to this game, but I must ask: why can you only play on one half of Mars? Maybe an expansion would have the other half of Mars available??

I hate to break it to you, but the oceans take up more than 9% of the surface area, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Presumably, public opinion was split, with half of Earth desiring exploitation/colonization, and half demanding that Mars remain unchanged. Consequently, players are only allowed to raise the temperature of (and introduce water, life, and atmosphere to) one side of the planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cat Five
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I recall that each hex approximates a percentage of Mars covered. A double globe map of Mars would look cool, but could be confusing. A stretched rectangle wraparound map (imho) would be kinda bland, but I like how they used up the extra space with off world sites and indicators.

Furthermore, you won't fill up the map before game's end, there's still plenty of growth to be had after the game draws to a close.

Don't let that stop you from playing the game though--gameplay wise the map is solid. This is a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Somebody start a kickstarter for a 3D Globe game board for this game ... NOW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Jackowski
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
WBuchanan wrote:
Somebody start a kickstarter for a 3D Globe game board for this game ... NOW!

I did get an inflatable Mars globe for my son...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdiel Xordium
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And the half that is shown does not include Olympus Mons, the most famous geological formation not on Earth.

It's not like it's far away. It's just barely over the western edge, a few hundred miles past the Tharsis Montes.

Here's a map that shows both Olympus Mons and Ganges Chasma (the eastern edge of the map in the game) in the same hemisphere.
http://karmalimbo.com/aro/pics/refer/mars-map-whole.jpg
(Admittedly this is a projection map rather than a view from orbit.)

Has the designer commented on why the particular map was chosen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
csimian wrote:

I have an answer to that, but that is classified information... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abdiel wrote:
Has the designer commented on why the particular map was chosen?

According to the rulebook:
"The game board has an accurate map of the Tharsis region of Mars, including Valles Marineris and 3 of the 4 great volcanos. Only the region around Olympus Mons is missing. The areas reserved for Ocean tiles are low in elevation so water will naturally flow there. The plant bonuses around the equator simulate that the higher average temperature will make it easier for life to thrive there. Mountain ridges have steel and titanium bonuses, while other interesting sites may have a card draw bonus, like the Viking site where the first man-made lander touched down."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Silberman
United States
Portola Valley
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark Watney already "scienced the shit" out of the other half.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott de Brestian
United States
Mt. Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The other half was left as a reservation for the native Martians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
I will play as the Atreides, Bene Gesserit, Emperor, Fremen, Guild, or Harkonnen.
badge
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fryxen wrote:
csimian wrote:

I have an answer to that, but that is classified information... whistle

Auto-buy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the Mars image in the game spans more like 1/4 (rather than 1/2) the surface area of Mars. The image appears to be the one taken by the Viking orbiter from Mars orbit:

In this image, the horizon hides a good portion of the hemisphere underneath. If you compare to the images taken from Earth, which show essentially one full hemisphere, you'll see that they show much more area:

(The area depicted in the game is completely contained in the lower right half of the upper right image)

Edit: I presume Jacob's choice to use a fraction of one hemisphere has to do with game aesthetics and accessibility, even if it seems strange to us space nerds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.