David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple of simple questions that need answering, if you please:

1) When using a paired weapon like the Lion Beast Katars, is it possible to activate one of the katars but decline to combine the speed? I recall reading something about the 2nd weapon in a paired set losing its special text, so could you just attack with the 2nd weapon (and thus not add the two speeds together)? And, if you do that, I guess you would also lose the +1 luck?

2) When a monster is knocked down, all attacks hit on a 3+, per the knockdown rules. But, I assume accuracy modifiers still apply (i.e., a survivor with -1 accuracy would need 4+ to hit)?

3) In our last session, we had one survivor who needed to roll on a Hunt Event table, and the result was something along the lines of "re-roll one hunt event result during this hunt." Is that re-roll opportunity only available to that survivor, or could it be used when a different survivor is the hunt revealer?

4) **SPOILER** In our last encounter with the Hooded Knight, he gave one survivor the Twilight Sword. The text said he gave it to the survivor with the most Hunt XP, but that survivor was one of our saviors (who can't equip weapons with the "Other" keyword). So, who gets the sword? **END SPOILER**

Thanks for any help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
DavidT wrote:
I have a couple of simple questions that need answering, if you please:

1) When using a paired weapon like the Lion Beast Katars, is it possible to activate one of the katars but decline to combine the speed? I recall reading something about the 2nd weapon in a paired set losing its special text, so could you just attack with the 2nd weapon (and thus not add the two speeds together)? And, if you do that, I guess you would also lose the +1 luck?

2) When a monster is knocked down, all attacks hit on a 3+, per the knockdown rules. But, I assume accuracy modifiers still apply (i.e., a survivor with -1 accuracy would need 4+ to hit)?

3) In our last session, we had one survivor who needed to roll on a Hunt Event table, and the result was something along the lines of "re-roll one hunt event result during this hunt." Is that re-roll opportunity only available to that survivor, or could it be used when a different survivor is the hunt revealer?

4) **SPOILER** In our last encounter with the Hooded Knight, he gave one survivor the Twilight Sword. The text said he gave it to the survivor with the most Hunt XP, but that survivor was one of our saviors (who can't equip weapons with the "Other" keyword). So, who gets the sword? **END SPOILER**

Thanks for any help!

1) The duplicate weapon only loses beneficial text. So it would lose +1 luck, but any negative effects like frail would remain.
2) That's how we play it.
3) Without the exact text it's hard to say. We'd probably say the person who got that reward could use it whenever they wanted, even to reroll another revealer's event.
4) No one would get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1- I believe that interpretation is correct
2- no modifiers, period, so always a 3+ even if you'd naturally hit on 2's
3- I believe any
4- I believe it's lost, but my group plays first option that meets criteria for stuff like that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:

2- no modifiers, period, so always a 3+ even if you'd naturally hit on 2's

Oops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're only attacking with 1 of your paired weapons, it isn't a duplicate weapon and it retains all its text, right?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it in the FAQ and I was wrong. If you attack with the primary katar, you MUST add the additional dice, if you attack with the duplicate katar, you only attack with 2 dice and none of the beneficial text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DyingTickles wrote:
If you're only attacking with 1 of your paired weapons, it isn't a duplicate weapon and it retains all its text, right?

I guess this is really the root of my question, really. The "combined speed" text for paired Lion Beast Katars reads as if it is mandatory. But, there are times when it would be preferable to just use one. Is it possible to activate just one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think, regardless of paired, if you have 2 of the same weapon (for affinities, a backup, IDK), you pick which one retains its rules at the time you gear up, though usually it doesn't matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mb
1) From the FAQ:
Q: When using paired weapons, can you choose not to add the speed of the two weapons together?
A: When you attack with a paired weapon, you must add the speed of a duplicate in your gear grid, if one is present. However, you may technically get around this by activating the copy of the weapon designated as the "duplicate." However, since duplicate gear has no special rules, it will lose all other bonuses along with paired (like deadly, for example).

2) From the FAQ:
Q: If a survivor attacks a knocked down monster, do their attack rolls hit on a 3+ even if the survivor's attacks would normally be more accurate than this?
A: Yes. A attack roll against a knocked down monster succeeds on a 3+ regardless of ALL modifiers. If a survivor would normally hit a monster on a 2+, they would still need a 3+ to hit the same monster if it was knocked down. Remember that an attack roll of 1 always misses, regardless of modifiers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
1) From the FAQ:
Q: When using paired weapons, can you choose not to add the speed of the two weapons together?
A: When you attack with a paired weapon, you must add the speed of a duplicate in your gear grid, if one is present. However, you may technically get around this by activating the copy of the weapon designated as the "duplicate." However, since duplicate gear has no special rules, it will lose all other bonuses along with paired (like deadly, for example).

2) From the FAQ:
Q: If a survivor attacks a knocked down monster, do their attack rolls hit on a 3+ even if the survivor's attacks would normally be more accurate than this?
A: Yes. A attack roll against a knocked down monster succeeds on a 3+ regardless of ALL modifiers. If a survivor would normally hit a monster on a 2+, they would still need a 3+ to hit the same monster if it was knocked down. Remember that an attack roll of 1 always misses, regardless of modifiers.

Thanks very much. No idea why I didn't look there to begin with. Lord knows I've read that FAQ enough times already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Randolph
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bud and I argued about the knockdown rule for a bit. He figured the game would punish you so -1 accuracy would apply, but beneficial effects would not. Thankfully FAQ clarified it's played exactly as read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.