Hide
5 Posts

Pillars of Eternity: Lords of the Eastern Reach» Forums » Rules

Subject: Exhausting Archers with Longshot rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Beyer
msg tools
Can't wait to play this game but had a quick clarification question I did not find a specific answer for in the rule book.

If you use an archer's long shot ability to add +2 attack while you are the attacker (either adventuring or attacking another player), would the archers then be exhausted after the combat, or do they remain readied? Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are not in the party so they do not exhaust. That could have been clearer. Thanks for the question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Gaburri
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools

Hi, I'll add to this with another question, since it regards archers as well.

If some archers with longshot join a party and then go back because of Fear (the monster ability), do they get to attack "from home"? In that case, are they exhausted? There are 4 possibilities:

1) they don't get to attack (because of the fear effect -- this looks the nicest, although it technically goes against the rules), are exhausted (because they had joined the party). This is the harshest interpretation, but makes sense.

2) following common sense, they get to attack, are exhausted

3) they don't attack, are not exhausted (they aren't in the party during resolution)

4) they do attack (slingshot) and are NOT exhausted (not in the party). This sounds too good, although it may be the one that most closely fits with the rules... and I suspect it could be exploited (like, if you know you're going against a boss with Fear)

which one is official? So far I went with #3, but #1 is tempting as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading strictly by the rules, it is #4, but there is a case for #3.

#1 and #2 are right out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Gaburri
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
Thanks, I'll discuss it in advance with my players so to avoid any discussion in-game.

I tend to prefer #3 because, although it's an interesting decision, it just looks too bad to carry some archers along in the party to have them run away and THEN attack for free (without exhausting themselves) -- all on purpose!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.