Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Leaving Earth» Forums » General

Subject: Current Shipping time, and why has this been so overlooked? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I just ordered this game, and from reading the rules, it seems fairly unique, with a fantastic theme. I'm super excited to get this played.

Just curious if anyone ordered recently and how long it took you to get it?

Additionally, I'm surprised this has flown under the radar, for example it seems like it would be right up Dan King (Game Boy Geek's) alley.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim MacKenzie
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought my copy from Board Game Bliss in Toronto, and it only took a couple of days to get it.

I bought the expansion directly from the publisher (I had it mailed to my US post office box). I think it took about two weeks to arrive. (I don't pick up my mail daily but this would be close.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

JohnnyR wrote:
Additionally, I'm surprised this has flown under the radar, for example it seems like it would be right up Dan King (Game Boy Geek's) alley.

Well, given that this is a niche game, I guess it all depends on which "radar scope" you're talking about!

- I don't think it's even a blip on the mass market radar scope. The mass market isn't looking for a game like this, so their radar isn't looking for its "ping"!

- It's radar return on the scope of the niche "Earth-bound space flight loving" crowd is strong and indicates that the target continues to fly inbound!

- And finally, it's radar return on the scope of the solitaire crowd is a "blossom", to use ATC parlance! It's as if the game pressed it's "ident" button and the radar scope of every serious solitaire player around the world lit up with this game. That's how I found out about it... in the 1 Player Guild.

And given that I'm a space nut, to boot, it would've popped-up on my radar scope soon enough. But the mass market gamer? Their scopes are full of blips of Mediterranean waters, agricultural splendors, villages selling spice, Monsters, dragons, and mechs walking across Europa. But 1960s space flight? "Huh?"


6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

JohnnyR wrote:
Additionally, I'm surprised this has flown under the radar, for example it seems like it would be right up Dan King (Game Boy Geek's) alley.

Well, given that this is a niche game, I guess it all depends on which "radar scope" you're talking about!

- I don't think it's even a blip on the mass market radar scope. The mass market isn't looking for a game like this, so their radar isn't looking for its "ping"!

- It's radar return on the scope of the niche "Earth-bound space flight loving" crowd is strong and indicates that the target continues to fly inbound!

- And finally, it's radar return on the scope of the solitaire crowd is a "blossom", to use ATC parlance! It's as if the game pressed it's "ident" button and the radar scope of every serious solitaire player around the world lit up with this game. That's how I found out about it... in the 1 Player Guild.

And given that I'm a space nut, to boot, it would've popped-up on my radar scope soon enough. But the mass market gamer? Their scopes are full of blips of Mediterranean waters, agricultural splendors, villages selling spice, Monsters, dragons, and mechs walking across Europa. But 1960s space flight? "Huh?"




I'm curious, why do you say this is a niche title? It seems fairly straightforward in terms of rules, it's a bit mathy - but otherwise I can see a lot of gamers enjoying this. It's subject matter is something that isn't very well explored in the boardgame hobby.

Or are you referring more to the lack of a typical distribution/publisher, not sold in stores, etc?

I'm not saying you're wrong, just genuinely curious - this isn't exactly space empires 4x/high frontier. ( I never could get into those much)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
-It's got a unique flow to the gameplay,
-Throw in the lots of math, although it's all super simple math,
-gameplay that is too thinky for a lot of people (seriously you have to do simple arithmetic using pencil and paper),
-maybe too random for high strategy players,
-and the game isn't short (certainly to long for dan king based on what I know of him),

All of this makes it a niche product produced by a small publisher.
I love the game but I can see why it can not be seen as ideal for many people.
It's just not a mainstream game, though I hope for its continued success.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

JohnnyR wrote:
I'm curious, why do you say this is a niche title?

Niche, in that only a small percentage of the population is interested in the subject.... both among the general population and the boardgaming population.

My observation since getting into the hobby is that the theme of any game has a lot to do with the visibility that game garners. Simply put, Earth-bound inter-planetary manned space flight (ala NASA missions) is not a general interest among gamers. Thusly it's a niche theme.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered it for two reasons:
I am very interested in the conquest of space, and I can play it solo.
I am very pleased with it. It is expensive but worth it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this game is under the radar primarily because of lack of advertising resources and other kind of outreach for a small publisher.

Had this been produced by FFG (assuming for the sake of argument that this is the kind of game they would produce), with a promotional video, GenCon booth, etc., I believe it would have easily been top 100 by now. Very few games maintain an 8+ average rating by the time they get to 300 ratings, as this game has done.

Savor being one of the few people who know about this gem.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, I see your point and agree with most of what you said. Except I still will never bring the game to my weekly Meetup group because I know no one will be interested in playing it.

As a matter of fact, I just returned from this week's session... about 35 people showed-up this week. Tonight I played 'New Bedford' and 'Bora Bora'. The table next to us was playing 'Agricola'. Another table was playing 'Scythe'. Another table was playing Shadows 'Over Camelot'.

After the Agricola table finished that game, they jumped into 'Hansa Teutanica'. Another table was playing 'The Gallerist'. You get the idea. The core of the group are meaty gamers. When I bring games like, Trickerion, it gets played. But I brought 'Churchill' for seven weeks straight till it became a running joke. No one wanted to touch it with a ten foot pole, despite the weight and intelligence of the gameplay being at the level the group enjoys.

So I know that they'll only show polite curiosity at 'Leaving Earth' if I was to ever bring it. Which is why I don't. If I was ever to break it out of the box while there, it'd turn out to be a solo session! It's a niche game. My Meet-up group (the only one in the area) is more into mass-market euros.

The problem isn't that it's a good game, because it's a GREAT game! The problem is the numbers. The subject matter simply doesn't appeal to enough of an audience, for even FFG to get it into wide circulation.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... so I can bear with you, please!
badge
Playing is the most serious thing there is.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it is so much the subject matter as it is the fact it is too "mathy" (i.e. it requires pen-and-paper basic arithmetic) and is "too prone to AP" (i.e. it involves careful planning based on odds).

It is an outstanding solo game and it is the perfect candidate for PBEM. Neither group of players is large enough or mainstream enough to attract a large interest for this masterpiece. Of course, it does not help it has no minis and the dying characters are astronauts with historical names rather than elfs or dwarves.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is all over the SGOYT geeklist and I am interested in it, but I know this would only be played solo so it has kept me from purchasing it. All the reviews use the word "mathy" and that right there tells me my game group would hate it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, we don't have to actually tell people it's "mathy". we can leave that part out when asked about the game.

And it doesn't say, "mathy" on the box! There are a LOT of gamers who don't belong to BGG and don't read reviews before buying a game. They just look at the box cover and then decide to buy... sort of like buying a book for its cover!

So let's just start leaving the "mathy" part out from now on, and see how it fares then!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dodds
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If it helps I can offer my experiences with the game.

I was attracted by the theme and the many positive comments. I played my first game solitaire and enjoyed it but I found myself missing the race aspect of the game as there is no one competing against you for the missions. It also felt like the game had a lot of negotiating potential for players cut deals: selling payload, trading tech, and so on.

So I was very excited to get my group to play. To my disappointment it fell flat. It wasn't the mathematics that the group didn't like - after all it's just simple multiplication - it was the need to plan missions. They all fell into one of two groups: the first just did not enjoy having the scribble things on pieces of paper in order to calculate how to build their rockets. They simply did not find this enjoyable. The second group didn't mind doing the planning but didn't like that the planning meant that they weren't able to pay attention to what the other players were doing on their turns. This broke their immersion in the game. To their credit they agreed to try it again but all felt the same after the second game.

I do really like this game so I do play it solitaire as this is now my only option, but the solitaire game is a slightly different beast. Rather than racing and having to take risks as result of the unpredictability of other players, the game is even more about planning. A solitaire game (for me at any rate) is two distinct phases. The first part is calculating which missions you need to complete for victory and then planning those missions on paper. Only after doing this do I then "start" the game and actually begin spending money and doing stuff in the game. There is nothing wrong with this and I do play the occasional game (I have a game set up on my table even as we speak!), but if the solitaire game could somehow capture the race element and the uncertainty of competing against other Agencies then I would play it a lot more.

I got very fortunate and was able to play one game at a convention with four other people who knew the game and it was one of the best gaming experiences I've had in a long time. So for me the ideal situation for Leaving Earth is playing with other people who also know the game well.

.:Edited for typos:.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Scorpio83
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered Leaving Earth and Outer Planets (both signed by Joe because why not?!) direct from Lumenaris on July 26th and they were delivered on August 3rd (to Chicago).

Realistically, it is a niche game that isn't cheap, isn't very light, and likely wouldn't appeal to a mass market, especially given that it is best played solo and the Space Race is "ancient history" to anyone under 50 years old.

IMHO, unless Lumenaris sells it to a big publisher, the cost, time to deliver, and "under the radar status" won't change. That said, for an independent game, the quality is excellent and I don't regret spending $100 on it. It would be great to spend less and get it in 2 days from Amazon, but like supporting your FLGS, we just need to support our FLGMaker?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyuss wrote:
If it helps I can offer my experiences with the game.

I was attracted by the theme and the many positive comments. I played my first game solitaire and enjoyed it but I found myself missing the race aspect of the game as there is no one competing against you for the missions. It also felt like the game had a lot of negotiating potential for players cut deals: selling payload, trading tech, and so on.

So I was very excited to get my group to play. To my disappointment it fell flat. It wasn't the mathematics that the group didn't like - after all it's just simple multiplication - it was the need to plan missions. They all fell into one of two groups: the first just did not enjoy having the scribble things on pieces of paper in order to calculate how to build their rockets. They simply did not find this enjoyable. The second group didn't mind doing the planning but didn't like that the planning meant that they weren't able to pay attention to what the other players were doing on their turns. This broke their immersion in the game. To their credit they agreed to try it again but all felt the same after the second game.

I do really like this game so I do play it solitaire as this is now my only option, but the solitaire game is a slightly different beast. Rather than racing and having to take risks as result of the unpredictability of other players, the game is even more about planning. A solitaire game (for me at any rate) is two distinct phases. The first part is calculating which missions you need to complete for victory and then planning those missions on paper. Only after doing this do I then "start" the game and actually begin spending money and doing stuff in the game. There is nothing wrong with this and I do play the occasional game (I have a game set up on my table even as we speak!), but if the solitaire game could somehow capture the race element and the uncertainty of competing against other Agencies then I would play it a lot more.

I got very fortunate and was able to play one game at a convention with four other people who knew the game and it was one of the best gaming experiences I've had in a long time. So for me the ideal situation for Leaving Earth is playing with other people who also know the game well.

.:Edited for typos:.

Paul,

A great post! The same experience you had is what I fear, should I ever decide to bring LE to a group setting. So also like you, I've discovered the best solution is to find a friend or a family member who both has an interest in the subject, and likes to plan things!

But that combination can be a tall order, if it means looking to people who aren't already isn't keen on the game.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Lets get this game more attention then?

Head over to this page and thumb it, that way Rahdo might do a run through for it.

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/item/4359292#item4359292
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:
So also like you, I've discovered the best solution is to find a friend or a family member who both has an interest in the subject, and likes to plan things!

But that combination can be a tall order, if it means looking to people who aren't already isn't keen on the game.

I know I would enjoy it (I'm in the "over 50" camp) and I know my son would play it with me (he's a planner) but I literally cannot afford it, given that I live overseas and that my currency is very weak vs the dollar. Very sad, but the lower-cost "mass market" games are simply more affordable. shake
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyR wrote:
Lets get this game more attention then?

Head over to this page and thumb it, that way Rahdo might do a run through for it.

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/item/4359292#item4359292

Rahdo said he was going to do a runthrough of it before selling it at Essen.
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23469095#23469095
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.