Hide
6 Posts

Roll for the Galaxy: Ambition» Forums » General

Subject: Play with just the new starting tiles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
andrew mundon
msg tools
I started playing roll a few weeks ago and have already decided to get the expansion (I normally don't do expansions). I haven't gotten sick of the base game at all yet, but I have gotten bored with the limited starting tiles. If I were to get Ambition, can I mix in just the starting tiles into the base game? I want to leave out the new dice and objectives until my various groups of friends have learned the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis de Vries
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
Ah, doctor, that aneasthetic is perfect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the new starting tiles require the new dice. You can always leave the objectives out (the expansion is actually promoted as being 2 expansions in 1).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've taught the game to new players using the new starting tiles without objectives and it worked well. The two new dice types are pretty straightforward and don't add much to the teaching time or complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Objectives are optional by design. Playing without the new dice would involve removing all tiles that use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikatoy wrote:
I've taught the game to new players using the new starting tiles without objectives and it worked well. The two new dice types are pretty straightforward and don't add much to the teaching time or complexity.
I was thinking this too... if you're going to delve into the excitement of new tiles, then why not the new dice? Sure, some of the new tiles are linked to the new dice, but then that also oughtta make it part of the appeal.

If you really want to be "proper" about it, I suppose you could just remove any tiles that use the new dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Anderson
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
Yes, I do this for teaching games. The first time I play with new players, I take out all the tiles that grant orange dice, plus a few of the new tiles which I consider too complicated for a first game, then shuffle the rest in.

EDIT: The expansion only adds 5 total tiles to the bag; removing them isn't a big deal. I think only 2-3 of them even grant orange dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.