Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DITT fans rejoice!

We are in the final stages of our gigantic World War II game Absolute Victory. Once our work on this is done, which should be September (2016), we will begin to move on the Second Edition of Death in the Trenches.

Compass Games has invited us to do an expanded, revised, and in some ways simplified version of Death in the Trenches. We will keep you posted. I am currently working on the map, which will repair all the numerous typos and fix geographic errors found in the First Edition, whose maps and other components went to press before I was able to proofread them.

Wes Erni will be handling the bulk of the modifications. I will be handling the whip to ensure that this game doesn't take five or ten years to complete.

Keep watching this space!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Switzerland
Basel
Basel Stadt
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Capitaine Conan," by Roger Vercel (1934).
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
We are in the final stages of our gigantic World War II game Death in the Trenches.

World War I?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He probably means Absolute Victory (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/191351/absolute-vict...) That is the gigantic WW2 that Compass is doing.

Edited, OP cleared up the confusion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Its WW1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really looking forward to this update...WWI...of course whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Its an excellent game to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fixed... this is why I suck as an editor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's where us great play testers come in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great update to an excellent WWI wargame! I hope the map could be put back right in orientation. The first edition is a bit hard to perceive in the mind geographically. Ah, but this is WWII. The term "second edition" is a bit misleading. A great system nonetheless. A must-buy for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Ah, but this is WWII.

No, Ben and Wes are doing a second edition of Death in the Trenches with Compass. In addition, they have a WW2 game (Absolute Victory) coming out with Compass at the end of this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
Great update to an excellent WWI wargame! I hope the map could be put back right in orientation. The first edition is a bit hard to perceive in the mind geographically. Ah, but this is WWII. The term "second edition" is a bit misleading. A great system nonetheless. A must-buy for me.

No, the new DITT is definitely going to be a second edition with significant changes and revisions. The chief difference is that the logistics and combat system will be simplified so there are fewer calculations to make and (sadly!) fewer dice to roll. Like 10 or 20 dice tops, not the handfuls of 40+ that were a feature of the old game.

Several of the minor countries (Servia, Roumania, Greece, etc.) will now have their strengths represented off-map like the big boys. Divisions will become "brigades", and they are now generic in terms of Fortitude; so if you suffer 18 hits you lose 18 brigades (no calculations necessary).

Another huge simplification is terrain in combat; before you had to adjust combat with percentages in rough terrain. Now (for instance) if you are attacking in mountains and you roll a 5 on any die, you just discard that die and count the rest. Again, no calculations necessary. Very streamlined, very simple -- but the heart of the system is unchanged. Yes, we still have overrolls!!

Naval stuff will be tweaked and there will be a few more events.

And of course the entire graphical presentation will be improved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear that the handfuls if dice are being reduced...spent a small fortune buying dice for the first edition shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How solitaire friendly will this game be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ronnietucker wrote:
How solitaire friendly will this game be?

I've played it solitaire probably ten times and I know that others have as well. I find it to be extremely good as a solitaire game. You just have to play the best as both sides. There is no hidden movement or deployment (the new rules will include that as an option, I think) and there are no combat modes to choose.

The combat system in effect shows a player's "personality" in terms of how much risk he is willing to take -- do you throw fewer dice, and guarantee a 'safe' combat, where you are unlikely to inflict great losses but also certain to inflict some loss; or will you risk throwing more dice, with the potential of inflicting much greater casualties on the enemy, but with the chance that it could all blow up in your face?

I've found in solitaire play that choice is twice as fun when you're choosing it for both sides!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
callme DESDINOVA
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get the impression that the map will be bigger. Is that correct?

How big will the counters be?

While I like the first edition's small footprint, the stacks of tiny counters cramped together on that map kept me from playing the game. My hands are too unsteady.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grognard1914 wrote:

While I like the first edition's small footprint, the stacks of tiny counters cramped together on that map kept me from playing the game. My hands are too unsteady.

That and way too many dice throws gulpgulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Grognard1914 wrote:

Map will be 34x22 and counters will be 5/8".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:

The new version will have fewer dice (but will still be recognizably the same system, with the dreaded "overroll"). There will be a lot less math (no percentage calculations)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talossa wrote:
MayorJim wrote:

The new version will have fewer dice (but will still be recognizably the same system, with the dreaded "overroll"). There will be a lot less math (no percentage calculations)!

That's welcome news...thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.