Paths of Glory» Forums » Variants

Subject: Twilight of Glory - Retrofitting TS card mechanics to PoG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Benito Richards
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, it is common knowledge that PoG and Twilight Struggle (TS) are games of the same family - that is, card-driven global conflict games by GMT.

I have thought for some time "what would happen if I were to play PoG with TS's more evolutioned card mechanics"? Mainly, there would be only one draw deck,with both Allied and CP cards, from which both the Allied and Central Power players would draw. Then, when you have to play an enemy card, you can use the numbered value for OPs/SR/Replacements, and the enemy event is triggered.
The Limited War and Total War cards would be added to the deck when BOTH players have reached the required 4 or 11 War Status.
There would be a "Headline Phase" at the beginning of each turn, where both players have to simultaneously play a card for the Event.

I scribbled some rules for situations that do not occur in TS - e.g. Combat Cards (CC): when you play an enemy CC, it stays on the table as if the enemy had won a combat using that card. Enemy War Status cards may NOT be held at the end of a turn, unless that would mean you fail to comply with another restriction like "1 Neutral entry per turn".

Well, I will not go into the whole detail, as I have played most of a game (solitaire) and have seen that this variant didn't work out very well.

The Mobilization and first Limited War turns were OK. I would say it was interesting to see more things happening in one turn, figuring out how to minimize the impact of enemy events, etc.
When the variant started to come apart, however, was when I had to reshuffle the Limited War deck. The problem was that the CP have more * events than the Allies. Therefore, after the reshuffle, the deck was loaded with Allied cards. IMHO, the Allied Limited War deck is already better than the CP, now think what will happen if there are 12 Allied cards in the players' hand and only 4 CP cards... After two turns the CP position had deteriorated dramatically, they were at 8 VP and still one turn away from Total War.

I think this variant could work, spice up the game and reduce the number of turns, but the deck would need a substantial rethinking.

Anyway, if anybody would like to give this a try, or keep elaborating on it, I would be delighted to see your comments on this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A major strategy in PoG would become counting cards, and that's no fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John David Galt
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A major strategy in PoG is to reduce the size of your deck by playing lots of one-time events, thus being able to reuse your cards more often than your opponent can. The variant would prevent this.

It would also leave you with nothing useful to do on your turn a large part of the time, just as already happens in We the People because it uses only one draw deck for both players.

So I don't like this idea and would not play it, for the same reason I no longer play WtP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Benito Richards
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take into account that, with this variant, you would manage the whole deck, not just yours.
Also, enemy cards are not wasted rounds. You get to play the OPs/SR/Replacement points, while your enemy gets the event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John David Galt
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting to "manage the whole deck" means any advantage you get, your opponent also gets. That defeats the purpose. Conversely, if you get to play your opponent's events as Ops/SR/RP then one of the major, important, and necessary mechanisms of the game (the tradeoff between playing good events and getting to keep good Ops cards) goes away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Vomkrieg
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great idea, but I feel you would have to redesign the whole deck from the ground up, make some major changes to cards, and generally rebuild the game a fair bit.

I love TS's card mechanic, it adds the extra level of "what do i do" to that game, but i feel POG already has a fair bit of that with the current 4 options for each card (5 for combat cards), CC, SR, Event, Replacements, Ops.

TS is spend for ops, and then choose from 3 options, coup, inf, realign. With space race as a 4th 1 per turn.

If someone could make it work, it would be interesting. But i suspect its an awful lot of work on what is already a very good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ithkrall wrote:
If someone could make it work, it would be interesting. But i suspect its an awful lot of work on what is already a very good game.

My thought as well.

I created a lot of variant rules to make Paths of Glory more historical. I am very interested to see what David cooks up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.