Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
107 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: What will happen with my board game collection when I bite the dust rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Gorzek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of a morbid thought but one I think about. What is going to happen to my game collection when I bite the dust, cash in my chips, buy the farm, kick the bucket, screw the pooch! Will my kids want all my game? Should I sell them all before they are donated or trashed! OK some can be thrown out. My wife can care less and will sell them on Craig's list for a loss. Am I the only one who thinks about this? Another one bites the dust!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mb
I've already told my wife to email all my local gaming friends to come and pick through my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W
msg tools
mb
SavageSpawn wrote:
Kind of a morbid thought but one I think about. What is going to happen to my game collection when I bite the dust, cash in my chips, buy the farm, kick the bucket, screw the pooch! Will my kids want all my game? Should I sell them all before they are donated or trashed! OK some can be thrown out. My wife can care less and will sell them on Craig's list for a loss. Am I they only one who thinks about this? Another one bites the dust!

It won't matter to you either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll have an addendum in your will that it travels my way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McKinney
United States
Kingsville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hook one of your kids or relatives on board games. Your wife should have no problem of them having them if she remembers you playing games with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting...
mbmbmbmbmb
I told my wife that I want my friends to hold a giant game fest where they play through all my games. Winner of each game gets to keep them. Coop games will come up with a vote MVP system-- MVP gets the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My father died with an extensive collection of opera recordings that he was quite proud of. My sister and I have zero interest in opera and had to find a place that was interested in them.

I imagine a similar thing will happen with my junk when I go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Guurn wrote:
SavageSpawn wrote:
Kind of a morbid thought but one I think about. What is going to happen to my game collection when I bite the dust, cash in my chips, buy the farm, kick the bucket, screw the pooch! Will my kids want all my game? Should I sell them all before they are donated or trashed! OK some can be thrown out. My wife can care less and will sell them on Craig's list for a loss. Am I they only one who thinks about this? Another one bites the dust!

Pretty much... I mean if it really is of that much concern to you make sure it is specified in your [living] will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guurn wrote:
SavageSpawn wrote:

Just another reminder that you can't take it with you. It may be fun to collect something, but remember why we play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have often thought about this. Being divorced, it will be a family member who will be responsible for dealing with my estate.

What will happen to my Star Wars Imperial Assault collection - will the force be with them?

Will Sam, Frodo, Merry and Pippin find a good home along with all the others in War of the Ring?

Will the Enterprise boldly go where she has never been before along with the Birds of Prey and Warbirds from Star Trek Fleet Captains?

Will the Cylons reveal themselves before the Battlestar Galactica can reach refuge?

Will the Old/Ancient Ones awake before they are moved on?

I suspect they will all be sold at prices below their worth by people who have no appreciation of what they are.

Unless ... I make up a PDF showing their worth, keep it updated on a regular basis and leave instructions on how to sell them on once I have gone.

Hmmm ... that is morbid, but practical.

PS I really wish I could live forever, then I could game into infinity and I would love that, never being bored
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin V
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fan of Cartoonist Phil Foglio
mbmbmbmbmb
SavageSpawn wrote:

Wow, I thought I was the only one who considered such things.

Before I got into board games, I spent MANY years playing D&D/Pathfinder. Before the pre-painted plastic miniatures, I would paint up figs. I'm no expert, but there's a lot of time & effort in my humble collection. I'd hate to know they'd end up in the trash. My wife said she'd keep a couple that she likes the best and give away the rest, along with all the books & dice. Neither my wife nor my daughter are into RPG's.

As for board games, I imagine that she's also keep a couple titles she likes. I figure the rest would end up at Goodwill or something. It's kind of depressing to think about the effort we go through to build our collections, but outside our small world it doesn't amount to much.

Hey, I think the lesson here is to gather with your gaming circle and enjoy the games and company while we're able to!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to imagine my sons will each pick out their favorites, and stash them away to play with their own children some day. And my wife will take several important bits, gold-plate them, and wear them as jewelry.

In reality, they'll probably hold a bonfire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am taking it with me. Have already made the arrangements. Nothing will separate me from my collection. NOTHING
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My games will be dug up by archaeologists from my extensive tomb, the cards still pristine in their protective sleeves.

Pete (is planning on going out in style)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This will happen:

NEWS FLASH

"Astute Collector pays $5 at Salvation Army for 8 CMON Games - all Kickstarter editions with complete addons!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Poulter
Scotland
Tranent
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about contacting local games clubs and give your collection to the first cbub at your place with a van.....?

Alan P.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Cat - No Cradle
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Meoww
mbmbmbmbmb
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a serious note, a regular at ConsimWorld died suddenly a few years back. He had friends in his gaming group who were able to offer help to his widow in auctioning/selling his collection for reasonable amounts. It would also be of some comfort to have your sites and passwords (sealed in an envelope if you must) available to notify those who would wonder why [anonymousname] has gone missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Morrise
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A second serious note - if you have a last will, it should allow you to have a separate written document that directs who receives personal items ("tangible personal property"), which could include board games. You don't have to change your will to change or update this second document.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were to die now, my wife would likely sell them to try and have a little more money for her needs. If it were to be a few years down the road or much later, then I would hope my family would keep the ones that hold happy experiences for them before selling off the others they have no interest in. My uncle would probably enjoy to take on some of my collection to accompany his.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A good friend has asked me to make sure his or her fairly extensive games collection go to a place they will be used after my friend can no longer enjoy them. My acceptance of this responsibility was very much appreciated as there was no one in his or her family who would have any idea what to do.

I was given no other parameters and did not provide any.

I expect I will keep a few, give a few to game groups which have libraries or particular friends who might enjoy a specific title. And then some kind of auction with the proceeds going to, well, that I haven't decided yet. Probably either some charities which seem appropriate or back to members of my friend's family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pullen

Amarillo
Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I die hopefully my wife's next husband will be a gamer (though I doubt she'll make that mistake again) and he'll get some use out of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Krigbaum
United States
Spring Lake
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reminds me of my buddy that used to work at a gun shop. Said he was shocked how many widows would bring in their late husbands collections with no idea what it was worth. Husband either lied about what he paid or they just never discussed it. Part of the reason he quit and I no longer shop there is the store policy was to not tell them and buy as cheap as possible.

If I feel like I'd have to lie to spend money I either don't or talk to her first. I'd rather my wife know what my stuff is worth than her to get ripped off if the worst happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter has instructions on how and where to sell/donate my games. Also the china she doesn't want and an extensive library of books!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hah! Good topic.

If I die early, i'm sure one of my doofus friends will bring it up right after the funeral.

"So, did Robb say anything about who gets the board games?"

If I make it for the long haul, I assume one of my kids will have destroyed all my games anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.