Subject: Deductive/Sleuthing game for kids? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all!

My son is having his seventh birthday in a couple of weeks and I want to introduce him to the joy of deduction games. I think giving him Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective for his birthday present is a bit too ambitious whistle

Any idea what deduction games that is fun to play? He likes playing Dungeon Petz, Tales of Arabian Nights, Arcadia Quest and various other medium weight games so he's not totally novice in boardgaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystery of the Abbey and Mystery Express may be worth checking into. They seem to be what people feel took the spot of clue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Clue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Correia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esvath wrote:
Hi all!

My son is having his seventh birthday in a couple of weeks and I want to introduce him to the joy of deduction games. I think giving him Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective for his birthday...

Consulting Detective is a great game, but I recall that there are some innuendos in the game. I don't think there was anything too blatant. I know that the first mystery has an affair as a tangent. Based on my seven year olds I'd wait. Based on yours?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Homatidis
England
flag msg tools
badge
Scotland Yard

Spiel des Jahres winner in 1983 and about £15 on Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ravensburger-26646-Scotland-Yard-Ga...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MeepleofaMan
United States
Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Check out Outfoxed. Age 7 falls within the age range of 5-10. Watch the reviews to see if he would outgrow it too quickly. It's only $15 on amazon so you'd probably get your money's worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/search/boardgame?sort=rank&advsear... is an advanced search on all deduction games under weight 2.5 and under 90 minutes. I see some there I'd not recommend due to theme, and others I've heard good things about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, all!

I'll go with Outfoxed and Scotland Yard first, and after he's comfortable with the games, move on to Clue etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how easy it is to find all these games, but how about...

Sleeping Queens

Whoowasit?

Outfoxed

Mastermind

Battleship

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.