Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Kjerland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
In another thread Mike asked about limiting the Epic Fail Lost Momentum combo.
This prompts me to start this thread about an idea I've been formulating over the past several weeks. I'd like to get everyone's feedback on this.

To speed the game while teaching new players the Scrimmage rules, I'm thinking about removing a few more cards from Scrimmage play. This would speed teaching the game, because you have to explain fewer cards. It would also make a player's first game lighter as these cards are a bit more complicated. Also, some of these are gotcha cards that may be better suited to experienced coaches than newbies.

So, what do you think about removing the following cards from the deck during Scrimmage and/or teaching games?

Brutal Spike (already removed for Scrimmage)
Unexpected Spike (already removed for Scrimmage)
Shot Clock
Lost Momentum
Epic Fail
Fumble
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that idea. We have yet to use, Shot Clock. It is extremely situational.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't remove any, but you can customize to your choosing.

SHOT CLOCK to me though is an important card that discourages players from hogging the ball. I wouldn't remove that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KingCroc wrote:

SHOT CLOCK to me though is an important card that discourages players from hogging the ball. I wouldn't remove that one.

Do you feel removing it would change that? My players never hold it. They always pick it up with the intent of throwing it, so they never have to worry about getting stuck with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
KingCroc wrote:

Do you feel removing it would change that? My players never hold it. They always pick it up with the intent of throwing it, so they never have to worry about getting stuck with it.

It would depend entirely on the style of your players. Shot Clock isn't there just to be used, but as a threat to encourage players to keep the ball in motion. In most my games, it isn't used very much, but its effects are felt.

If players naturally keep shooting the ball then it isn't necessary. But some players might be tempted to hold onto it if they're in the lead. That's why Shot Clock exists. Whether your group is comprised of any players like that is probably the deciding factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get what you are saying, but I still question if it really is a factor or not.
How often are coaches seeing situations where they are tempted to keep the ball in someones hands?

Like, if it was removed, would players suddenly start holding onto the ball regularly? Will the game become keep away?

I feel that in nearly all instances, the ball will be picked up and thrown, either as a pass, spike or goal.
It would be a very rare instance where a player chooses to hold the ball.

Again, I get what you are saying, you may get that tank of a butcher who hogs the ball and tries to keep it out of the enemy razors hands to stop them from scoring.

I just feel that that would be super rare to the point where including it in a training match is unnecessary.
That seems like an advanced strategy.

I am not convinced removing it from a scrimmage match with first time players would have any game altering play changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
I get what you are saying, but I still question if it really is a factor or not.
How often are coaches seeing situations where they are tempted to keep the ball in someones hands?

Like, if it was removed, would players suddenly start holding onto the ball regularly? Will the game become keep away?

I feel that in nearly all instances, the ball will be picked up and thrown, either as a pass, spike or goal.
It would be a very rare instance where a player chooses to hold the ball.

Again, I get what you are saying, you may get that tank of a butcher who hogs the ball and tries to keep it out of the enemy razors hands to stop them from scoring.

I just feel that that would be super rare to the point where including it in a training match is unnecessary.
That seems like an advanced strategy.

I am not convinced removing it from a scrimmage match with first time players would have any game altering play changes.

If players are throwing the ball around, it really doesn't matter. But Shot Clock isn't a complicated card. Still, if your goal is just to teach someone the game, do whatever you thinks work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Kjerland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
From all the games I've watched, I don't think removing Shot Clock from a teaching game would have any impact. I don't think I've ever seen any first-time player realize that ball-hogging can be an effective strategy for the leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shot clock, As a card in hand, it's a waste. It's tying up valuable hand space.

I would just pull them all out and distribute them out of hand to players. Each player can use one once per match. Or treat it like a token. Or have another ball get launched out making the old ball disqualified if a shot is scored with the new ball.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Kjerland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Trent, I agree that not all cards are created equal. And Shot Clock is one of the most specific reactive cards and is thus rarely used. In a Scrimmage game, they likely have minimal use.

However, in Exhibition and League games, where there are skills that enable you to sacrifice cards, less-powerful cards can be more helpful. In Exh/League games, it's often a relief to see a card you don't care about and are willing to sacrifice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ErikFrog wrote:
Trent, I agree that not all cards are created equal. And Shot Clock is one of the most specific reactive cards and is thus rarely used. In a Scrimmage game, they likely have minimal use.

However, in Exhibition and League games, where there are skills that enable you to sacrifice cards, less-powerful cards can be more helpful. In Exh/League games, it's often a relief to see a card you don't care about and are willing to sacrifice.

The way I see it, sacrificing cards should always be a hard decision. If there is a card that's always the easy choice, then that's not really a much of a choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarimrune wrote:
ErikFrog wrote:

The way I see it, sacrificing cards should always be a hard decision. If there is a card that's always the easy choice, then that's not really a much of a choice.

The fact that some choices are obvious that doesn't equal weak game design.

Also, I like Shot Clock, like Distracted Ref, as a potential threat. Without it, the game becomes less interesting. Also, giving everyone a copy of either would reduce it from a potential threat to a certainty, which would change gameplay significantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ogmund prime
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm ok with the added omissions. My only worry is that scrimmage becomes so vanilla that new players are turned off before exploring the deeper playing options. On the other hand, having fewer cards to read/interpret/clarify/explain means faster gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ogmund prime
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As for "Shot Clock", it has more use than you might think. You don't need to have an opponent's athlete holding the ball. Read the last sentence on the card. If the ball is loose and far from my athletes I can choose to relaunch. If I'm in last place, with a lucky launch scatter or high ball scatter I can suddenly have the slaughterball at the feet of my razor!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ogmundprime wrote:
As for "Shot Clock", it has more use than you might think. You don't need to have an opponent's athlete holding the ball. Read the last sentence on the card. If the ball is loose and far from my athletes I can choose to relaunch. If I'm in last place, with a lucky launch scatter or high ball scatter I can suddenly have the slaughterball at the feet of my razor!

Still a bit situational. That's great if you act next in the turn, but if you've already activated...or if another team acts next and can get the ball before you...or if it doesn't land close to your figures...

The concept of Shot Clock is needed in the game. It's a highly situational card that barely gets played. Some form of shot clock needs to exist, to keep the game in line with it's 'high octane' focus. I happen to believe that it doesn't need to be tying up space in one's hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Kjerland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Sarimrune wrote:
ErikFrog wrote:

Trent, I think sacrificing a card should often be a hard decision, but not 100% of the time. The cost/reward of sacrificing cards for different skills varies. Some skills are more helpful at times than others, but if you have an easily sacrificed card, it might prompt you to do something you might not otherwise have done. Having a range of card "values" encourages a wider range of strategies and decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.