Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
von gRaven
Germany
Lübeck
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi everybody

I was kind of surprised that the lost legion expansion is available in Germany now. Even though I do not play the base game too often, because of its length and because it is hard to find or teach to new players, I really really like it.

However I am not the biggest fan of expansions especially when they change the base game a lot and does not only add "more of everything".

I just read a few pages of the rules and it seems as if a lot of new things were added to the base game... so I am not quite sure about that.

Does it still have the same "feeling" or does it change the game flow somehow?

So what do you think, can you imagine that there might be reason NOT to like it?

Beside that: Are they crazy to add a fifth player!? Teaching the game to new players would be recommend with the base game then?

Thanks you all in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
In the developer's own opinion, it "completes" the main game.

In my own experience, everything integrates seamlessly, literally dissolving in the main game, keeping the same feel. You get some additional game modes that in particular give you some much better options for solo play, and some cards and monsters that fill in a few "gaps" in the spread of abilities present in the main game.

The fifth character choice is IMO on par with the original four - a new player likely wouldn't be able to tell which character was the "extra" one.

Playing with five players would be chaotic, but it's simply possible now where it wasn't before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOMHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that the expansion really mainly adds more of everything.
You get more characters, more enemies, more spells, actions, etc.
Of course there are new abilities that come with it, but these don't really change the game or the feeling of the game itself, IMHO.

You also get new scenarios and these mix up the game quite a bit with Volkare and his huge army, but you can just stick to the scenarios of the base game, so this is not a deal breaker at all.

Adding a fifth player is really insane, since the game takes huge amounts of time with three already (11 hours against Volkare anyone?).

If you don't play the game often because of your time limitations, I would suggest you get the Shades of Tezla expansion (either in english or if it comes out in german (does it come out in german? I don't know, but then I also didn't look )). This inclues some very short and tense (and fun!) scenarios that are playable in 2-3 hours.

So in short - since Lost Legion adds a lot more variety and doesn't necessarily mix up the main game, there is really NO reason to not like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Sörhuus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No reason, no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
One reason would be if you don't own the base game. Another would be if you have more important things to spend your money on. Otherwise, it's a sound investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Reaves
United States
Allison Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do not get this expansion if you hate Mage Knight.

If you do not regret the purchase of the base game, you will not regret buying this.

Do not play with five players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Reaves
United States
Allison Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To expand a little:

You can teach newbies with: The updated/corrected cards, the second unique player cards, and (if appropriate) the cooperative skills.

You may wish to hold off on the new units, advanced actions, and spells just to keep things basic.

You should hold off on the new tiles, just so they don't have to remember the new locations on top of the old ones.

But everything can be added within a game or two--there are no radical changes until you get to the Volkare scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Schau mal hier, wenn Du magst:

http://weiterspielen.net/mage-knight-das-brettspiel-die-vers...

The link leads to a german review of the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
von gRaven
Germany
Lübeck
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok, ok I got it

I will order the expansion within the next days And if I am already adding things to the base game I will also add this cool looking Krang minuature

Regarding the teaching I will try it like suggested. Adding the new basic cards and the updated rules and keeping out all the new stuff, there is enough to learn anyway. I guess I will start like this for myself, too.

Thanks for your comments!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding Krang:

http://weiterspielen.net/mage-knight-das-brettspiel-krang-ch...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.