Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

A Feast for Odin» Forums » Rules

Subject: Covering good's symbols to increase income. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fabio Baldan
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To receive the income from your homeboard, doesn't all the spaces including good's spaces need to be covered?
It says:
"Soone or later you may wish to cover the goods space to increase you" income.




On this section from the rulebook, however, it says that you receive the income of 5, but the wood good space it's not covered yet.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groot
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The goods spaces are considered "covered". The comment that you may wish to cover them is just pointing out that trying to avoid them may hinder your ability to quickly increase your income. At least that's as I understand it.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Bethany
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that the goods spaces are already counted as being covered up, they just have to be surrounded in order to gain them as "income" (called "bonus" by the game). You can cover them up with another tile if you want, but you do not gain them as a bonus if you do.

Edited: Clarity in light of the other responses.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
plosfas wrote:
The goods spaces are considered "covered". The comment that you may wish to cover them is just pointing out that trying to avoid them may hinder your ability to quickly increase your income. At least that's as I understand it.

That's correct.

And just to clarify for the OP: receiving the free goods are called "Bonuses", while "Income" refers specifically to the coins.

If you do cover up the goods icon you can NOT receive that good as a bonus.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Carpenter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What this mechanic called? To clarify, the one where players place workers to get pieces of different shapes, to later arrange on a board using simple rules, to earn revenue, goods and points? Because I think I love it and want to call it something.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CoffeeRunner wrote:
What this mechanic called? To clarify, the one where players place workers to get pieces of different shapes, to later arrange on a board using simple rules, to earn revenue, goods and points? Because I think I love it and want to call it something.

How about... "Patchworker Placement"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Carpenter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We're not just converting resources, we're trying for the right puzzle pieces, and not just for points but for revenue. I think there's going to be a really high skill cap in AFFO. So excited.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonatan dyre
Denmark
flag msg tools
while at this, does the picture in the rulebook page 12 at the bottom make sense? It comes with the tekst Here is an example of how to cover the spaces in the top right corner without covering the income spaces that you are not allowed to cover
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jondifool wrote:
while at this, does the picture in the rulebook page 12 at the bottom make sense? It comes with the tekst Here is an example of how to cover the spaces in the top right corner without covering the income spaces that you are not allowed to cover

Looks like it makes sense to me. It's in reference to the text bubble directly above it, which is saying that you can cover the -1 (or blank) spaces even if you haven't met the requirements which allow you to cover the income spaces that they surround (i.e. everything below and to the left of the income space being filled).

The example isn't zoomed out enough to show that is the case (it's just implied by Uwe's floating head), but I guess the assumption is that somewhere below or to the left of the "5 income" space there must be at least one gap. Given that, It's just showing an example of how you can use the different shapes and sizes of tiles to cover many of the -1 spaces while not covering prohibited income spaces.

For reference:
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
jondifool wrote:
while at this, does the picture in the rulebook page 12 at the bottom make sense? It comes with the tekst Here is an example of how to cover the spaces in the top right corner without covering the income spaces that you are not allowed to cover

Looks like it makes sense to me. It's in reference to the text bubble directly above it, which is saying that you can cover the -1 (or blank) spaces even if you haven't met the requirements which allow you to cover the income spaces that they surround (i.e. everything below and to the left of the income space being filled).

The example isn't zoomed out enough to show that is the case (it's just implied by Uwe's floating head), but I guess the assumption is that somewhere below or to the left of the "5 income" space there must be at least one gap. Given that, It's just showing an example of how you can use the different shapes and sizes of tiles to cover many of the -1 spaces while not covering prohibited income spaces.

For reference:


This example is to show that you can freely cover the negative points as long as you do not cover the income spaces.
However this particular layout will rarely happen. Normally you focus on covering the income space in order to generat income! And with your second or third game at the latest you will be able to fully cover your home board.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonatan dyre
Denmark
flag msg tools
grant5 wrote:
jondifool wrote:
while at this, does the picture in the rulebook page 12 at the bottom make sense? It comes with the tekst Here is an example of how to cover the spaces in the top right corner without covering the income spaces that you are not allowed to cover

Looks like it makes sense to me. It's in reference to the text bubble directly above it, which is saying that you can cover the -1 (or blank) spaces even if you haven't met the requirements which allow you to cover the income spaces that they surround (i.e. everything below and to the left of the income space being filled).

The example isn't zoomed out enough to show that is the case (it's just implied by Uwe's floating head), but I guess the assumption is that somewhere below or to the left of the "5 income" space there must be at least one gap. Given that, It's just showing an example of how you can use the different shapes and sizes of tiles to cover many of the -1 spaces while not covering prohibited income spaces.

For reference:


Now that picture makes perfect sense to me - but that is not the picture i see when I open the downloaded the rulebook from here.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/136602/english-rulebo...


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that you must cover the spaces to the left and below an income space for it to count. But the first example on page 12 shows the spaces below the 2 as empty. Is that example correct?

Ignore, I'm loopy from reading too much.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:
The rules say that you must cover the spaces to the left and below an income space for it to count. But the first example on page 12 shows the spaces below the 2 as empty. Is that example correct?

What do you mean "for it to count"? Page 12 says you can only COVER an income space if everything to the left, below, and in a square to the bottom left are covered.

In the first image on page 12, the "2 income" space is NOT covered, so this does not apply.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
jschlickbernd wrote:
The rules say that you must cover the spaces to the left and below an income space for it to count. But the first example on page 12 shows the spaces below the 2 as empty. Is that example correct?

What do you mean "for it to count"? Page 12 says you can only COVER an income space if everything to the left, below, and in a square to the bottom left are covered.

In the first image on page 12, the "2 income" space is NOT covered, so this does not apply.


I edited my post, see above.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Louisville
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jondifool wrote:
grant5 wrote:
jondifool wrote:
while at this, does the picture in the rulebook page 12 at the bottom make sense? It comes with the tekst Here is an example of how to cover the spaces in the top right corner without covering the income spaces that you are not allowed to cover

Looks like it makes sense to me. It's in reference to the text bubble directly above it, which is saying that you can cover the -1 (or blank) spaces even if you haven't met the requirements which allow you to cover the income spaces that they surround (i.e. everything below and to the left of the income space being filled).

The example isn't zoomed out enough to show that is the case (it's just implied by Uwe's floating head), but I guess the assumption is that somewhere below or to the left of the "5 income" space there must be at least one gap. Given that, It's just showing an example of how you can use the different shapes and sizes of tiles to cover many of the -1 spaces while not covering prohibited income spaces.

For reference:


Now that picture makes perfect sense to me - but that is not the picture i see when I open the downloaded the rulebook from here.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/136602/english-rulebo...




Just to make sure I am clear, in order to get income, you have to cover everything to the bottom and left of an income, but you can also place your tiles anywhere on the board as you get them, if you choose?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Trigonomical wrote:
Just to make sure I am clear, in order to get income, you have to cover everything to the bottom and left of an income, but you can also place your tiles anywhere on the board as you get them, if you choose?

As long as you don't go off the edge of the board and don't cover income squares illegally and don't put green tiles next to each other, I believe so yes.

It would be nice if the rules had an example picture of this, but they don't.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.